Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Photo Printer Recomendations

Photo Printer Recomendations

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:19:17 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:28:02 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
>
>> Epsons only have clogging problems when used by Idiots and don't use the
>> printer correctly.
>>
>> The Canon is only a Crap bubble jet, and Only 4 colours..

>Fair enough Roger that's your opinion, but do you have any basis other
>than the number of colours used, why the Canon is "Crap"?
>Is it possible to point to a web site, or review, that states the
>Canon is crap, this would make my purchase much easier

Canon state that there print heads are Only rated for 18 months, go to the
printer news group or Google..

>> Yes I have had 3 Epsons and now own a R210, for what it offers there is
>> nothing at all to touch it..

>How many Canon printers have you owned? Have you used the Canon i865?

I don't by Crap or Crap Bubble Jets, I buy InkJets.

>At this stage the reviews that I have read give both these printers a
>good recommendation, but in the printer newsgroup, the Canon seems to
>be the preferred manufacture.
>
>Regards,
>John.

Well if you wan't a Crap printer go get it , the prints don't last as the
type of inks a Bubble jet can use..

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:32:30 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:35:07 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

>>>Is the Panasonic printer SV-AP10EN a dyesub printer?
>>>
>>>http://www.panasonic.co.nz/web_conte...p?id=100007501
>>>
>>>Do you have any knowledge of this printer? Seems expensive at $599,
>>>but I use a Panasonic camera so compatibility wise, this might be a
>>>good choice.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>John.

>> Yes I have one got mine for $299 at LV Martins..

>That's strange. I've rang LV Martins and they state that they don't
>stock the printer and as far as the guy I spoke too is concerned,
>never have.

They were on a special clear out sale at the time I got mine, they had 2 left
and one was sold here to one of the readers here, and I got the other at the
Kapiti store.

>Are you sure that we are talking about the same printer? (Panasonic
>printer SV-AP10EN).

YES YES & YES.

>I contacted Panasonic and told them I couldn't locate a store that
>stocks this printer, and they referred me to Newbolds, who has the
>printer at $599.95.

Try Neol Lemming, and do a deal with them, Talk to Bill he will play ball if
you bend his arm a little, I got $100 off my Sony W1B from him.

Harvey Norman had one at $680..

>If in fact you do own a Panasonic SV-AP10EN would you be interested in
>selling?

Your joking, I have just had mine a few months.

>> Costs about $1.20 per print.
>>
>> Has nothing to do with a Panasonic camera, uses a PC or SD card, has a PC slot
>> for other adaptors.
>>
>> Canon/Sony/Hi-Touch and many others do Dye Sub printers.
>>
>> Epson & HP ? do small Post card printers..

>Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>John.

John

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:13:12 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:19:17 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:28:02 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
>>
>>> Epsons only have clogging problems when used by Idiots and don't use the
>>> printer correctly.
>>>
>>> The Canon is only a Crap bubble jet, and Only 4 colours..

>>Fair enough Roger that's your opinion, but do you have any basis other
>>than the number of colours used, why the Canon is "Crap"?
>>Is it possible to point to a web site, or review, that states the
>>Canon is crap, this would make my purchase much easier

> Canon state that there print heads are Only rated for 18 months, go to the
> printer news group or Google..

Can't find any information on Canon web site re the i856 print heads
only rated for 18 months. Did find a page that stated that the print
head was rated for 100,000 pages but this was for another Canon
printer.
Could you please make my life easier and point to the Canon web site
that states that the i865 print head is rated for only 18 months
As for the printer newsgroup, the general consensus in the newsgroup
that I have been reading seems to be that the Canon i865 is a very
good printer.

>>> Yes I have had 3 Epsons and now own a R210, for what it offers there is
>>> nothing at all to touch it..

>>How many Canon printers have you owned? Have you used the Canon i865?

> I don't by Crap or Crap Bubble Jets, I buy InkJets.

Hey, Roger, aren't you the one that stated the Hitachi CML174XW LCD
Monitor was crap? Still using yours?

>>At this stage the reviews that I have read give both these printers a
>>good recommendation, but in the printer newsgroup, the Canon seems to
>>be the preferred manufacture.
>>
>>Regards,
>>John.

> Well if you wan't a Crap printer go get it , the prints don't last as the
> type of inks a Bubble jet can use..

I haven't made up my mind yet what photo printer to purchase, and your
attitude isn't making it any easier
Why continue to make silly statements all containing the word "crap",
why not give some sensible, reasonable recommendations that I can work
on?
The chances are that I'll purchase the Epson R210, but it won't be
because of anything that you have said. If anything your
recommendation is enough to put me off Epson printers, or anything
else, if it comes to that.

Regards,
John.

Wyn

John wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +1200, Paul wrote:
>
>> The HP Photosmart 145 is a good photo printer

> The more I look into photo printer the more uncertain I'm becoming
> about which printer to purchase.
> I like the size of the HP145, and I certainly don't have a closed mind
> re this printer, but at this stage my preference is between the Canon
> i865, and the Epson R210.
> Reading the newsgroup "comp.periphs.printers" the general impression
> that I'm getting is the Epson has clogging problems? However, never
> having used an Epson I have no first hand experience to go by.
> If anyone has had experience with both these printers (Canon i865 and
> the Epson R210)I would appreciate their opinion.

I can't comment on the Epson, but I bought a Canon i865 three weeks ago
and I am more than pleased with it. I found that I had to use Canon
paper - A4 or 6x4 - or plain paper. Index prints can be printed on the
latter.

Pics printed on the Canon paper are magnificent, professional quality
according to a friend of mine who works in a print shop. The Easy Print
software is just that - very simple to use. Very fast. Very quiet - the
most noise is when it grabs a new sheet of paper. Will print direct from
camera if the camera is compatible, but I don't see much point in this
if you are going to do any cropping etc., and in any case I will be
transferring pics to the HDD anyway. The blurb on the box says
"Permanent print head" FWIW.

Local shop price here in Hamilton is around $480. I got mine through
Ascent, $405.

Only gripe is that at that price I would have thought that they could
have at least thrown in a USB cable...

Hope this is of assistance,

Wyn

John

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:01:50 +1200, Wyn wrote:

> John wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +1200, Paul wrote:
>>
>>> The HP Photosmart 145 is a good photo printer

>> The more I look into photo printer the more uncertain I'm becoming
>> about which printer to purchase.
>> I like the size of the HP145, and I certainly don't have a closed mind
>> re this printer, but at this stage my preference is between the Canon
>> i865, and the Epson R210.
>> Reading the newsgroup "comp.periphs.printers" the general impression
>> that I'm getting is the Epson has clogging problems? However, never
>> having used an Epson I have no first hand experience to go by.
>> If anyone has had experience with both these printers (Canon i865 and
>> the Epson R210)I would appreciate their opinion.

> I can't comment on the Epson, but I bought a Canon i865 three weeks ago
> and I am more than pleased with it. I found that I had to use Canon
> paper - A4 or 6x4 - or plain paper. Index prints can be printed on the
> latter.
>
> Pics printed on the Canon paper are magnificent, professional quality
> according to a friend of mine who works in a print shop. The Easy Print
> software is just that - very simple to use. Very fast. Very quiet - the
> most noise is when it grabs a new sheet of paper. Will print direct from
> camera if the camera is compatible, but I don't see much point in this
> if you are going to do any cropping etc., and in any case I will be
> transferring pics to the HDD anyway. The blurb on the box says
> "Permanent print head" FWIW.
>
> Local shop price here in Hamilton is around $480. I got mine through
> Ascent, $405.
>
> Only gripe is that at that price I would have thought that they could
> have at least thrown in a USB cable...
>
> Hope this is of assistance,

Thanks Wyn, pretty much as expected, all reviews I've read, and
comments from other NG's seem to indicate that this is a very good
printer.

I've decided to put the purchase off for a couple of weeks and rethink
things over.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my posting for a photo printer
recommendation.

Regards.
John.

Wyn

John wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:01:50 +1200, Wyn wrote:
>
>> John wrote:

>>> The more I look into photo printer the more uncertain I'm becoming
>>> about which printer to purchase.
>>> I like the size of the HP145, and I certainly don't have a closed
>>> mind re this printer, but at this stage my preference is between
>>> the Canon i865, and the Epson R210.
>>> Reading the newsgroup "comp.periphs.printers" the general impression
>>> that I'm getting is the Epson has clogging problems? However, never
>>> having used an Epson I have no first hand experience to go by.
>>> If anyone has had experience with both these printers (Canon i865
>>> and the Epson R210)I would appreciate their opinion.

>> I can't comment on the Epson, but I bought a Canon i865 three weeks
>> ago and I am more than pleased with it. I found that I had to use
>> Canon paper - A4 or 6x4 - or plain paper. Index prints can be
>> printed on the latter.
>>
>> Pics printed on the Canon paper are magnificent, professional quality
>> according to a friend of mine who works in a print shop. The Easy
>> Print software is just that - very simple to use. Very fast. Very
>> quiet - the most noise is when it grabs a new sheet of paper. Will
>> print direct from camera if the camera is compatible, but I don't
>> see much point in this if you are going to do any cropping etc., and
>> in any case I will be transferring pics to the HDD anyway. The blurb
>> on the box says "Permanent print head" FWIW.
>>
>> Local shop price here in Hamilton is around $480. I got mine through
>> Ascent, $405.
>>
>> Only gripe is that at that price I would have thought that they could
>> have at least thrown in a USB cable...
>>
>> Hope this is of assistance,

> Thanks Wyn, pretty much as expected, all reviews I've read, and
> comments from other NG's seem to indicate that this is a very good
> printer.
>
> I've decided to put the purchase off for a couple of weeks and rethink
> things over.
>
> Thanks to everyone that responded to my posting for a photo printer
> recommendation.
>
> Regards.
> John.

The only thing that counts for me is the product that comes out of the
tray.

I'd be happy to post one of my pics to you if you like to email me your
address.

wbjones at paradise dot net (and you most likely know the
rest.)

Wyn