Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Photo Printer Recomendations

Photo Printer Recomendations

Paul

The HP Photosmart 145 is a good photo printer

It uses memory card slots, 1 cartridge and doesnt
need a PC to print photos. Just came down from
309 to 298 at DSE. Cartridge will print at least
200-250 photo sized photos. The only thing is it only
prints onto photo sized (glossy paper). I use it for
printing pics I take with this digital cam which uses an SD
memory card slot. Just take the pic and chuck in the printer. Voila theres
ya photo.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XP0446
"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John wrote:
>
> > Looking to purchase a lower end of the price scale photo printer.
> >
> > I have no preference in regards manufacturer, but the printer would
> > need to produce reasonable prints.
> >
> > I intend to continue using commercially developed prints for most
> > photographs, but would like to be able to print on demand on certain
> > occasions.
> >
> > Price ceiling around the $300 mark but preferably cheaper
> >
> > Anyone using a photo printer, or having a knowledge of cheaper photo
> > printers your advice, or recommendations, would be most welcome.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John

> A dyesub printer can be had arround the $350.00 mark and the paper and
> dye ribbion can be purchaed for arround $49.00 for a pak of 40 pages of
> 6"x4"
> If thats all you want to use it for better than ink jet end of story
> --
> http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze
>
> / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
> / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
> ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/

John

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +1200, Paul wrote:

> The HP Photosmart 145 is a good photo printer
>
> It uses memory card slots, 1 cartridge and doesnt
> need a PC to print photos. Just came down from
> 309 to 298 at DSE. Cartridge will print at least
> 200-250 photo sized photos. The only thing is it only
> prints onto photo sized (glossy paper). I use it for
> printing pics I take with this digital cam which uses an SD
> memory card slot. Just take the pic and chuck in the printer. Voila theres
> ya photo.

Looked at the HP145 printer today at DSE.

I noticed a HP130 on auction at TradeMe but the bidding has already
reached $130 with two days still to go

The more I look into photo printer the more uncertain I'm becoming
about which printer to purchase.
I like the size of the HP145, and I certainly don't have a closed mind
re this printer, but at this stage my preference is between the Canon
i865, and the Epson R210.
Reading the newsgroup "comp.periphs.printers" the general impression
that I'm getting is the Epson has clogging problems? However, never
having used an Epson I have no first hand experience to go by.
If anyone has had experience with both these printers (Canon i865 and
the Epson R210)I would appreciate their opinion.

Regards,
John.

John

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +1200, Paul wrote:

> "Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> A dyesub printer can be had arround the $350.00 mark and the paper and
>> dye ribbion can be purchaed for arround $49.00 for a pak of 40 pages of
>> 6"x4"
>> If thats all you want to use it for better than ink jet end of story

Is the Panasonic printer SV-AP10EN a dyesub printer?

http://www.panasonic.co.nz/web_conte...p?id=100007501

Do you have any knowledge of this printer? Seems expensive at $599,
but I use a Panasonic camera so compatibility wise, this might be a
good choice.

Regards,
John.

Robert Cooze

John wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +1200, Paul wrote:
>

>>"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>A dyesub printer can be had arround the $350.00 mark and the paper and
>>>dye ribbion can be purchaed for arround $49.00 for a pak of 40 pages of
>>>6"x4"
>>>If thats all you want to use it for better than ink jet end of story

> Is the Panasonic printer SV-AP10EN a dyesub printer?
>
> http://www.panasonic.co.nz/web_conte...p?id=100007501
>
> Do you have any knowledge of this printer? Seems expensive at $599,
> but I use a Panasonic camera so compatibility wise, this might be a
> good choice.
>
> Regards,
> John.

Couldent tell you from the web site

A dyesub will have a colour cartage with all the colour in it. the
colour is on a cellophane ribbon that goes something like this yellow
magenta cyan and keeps on going once the ribbon advances that part is
used like a typewrighter it cant be used again the colour on the ribbon
is as large as the print media(paper) and the re charge packs come with
paper and colour(ribbon)cartage.

The Kodak Printer docks are dyesub printers as well as being A camera Dock.

Sorry if this does not make too much sence. I had a Rough Night this
morning.

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:39:09 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +1200, Paul wrote:
>
>> The HP Photosmart 145 is a good photo printer
>>
>> It uses memory card slots, 1 cartridge and doesnt
>> need a PC to print photos. Just came down from
>> 309 to 298 at DSE. Cartridge will print at least
>> 200-250 photo sized photos. The only thing is it only
>> prints onto photo sized (glossy paper). I use it for
>> printing pics I take with this digital cam which uses an SD
>> memory card slot. Just take the pic and chuck in the printer. Voila theres
>> ya photo.

>Looked at the HP145 printer today at DSE.
>
>I noticed a HP130 on auction at TradeMe but the bidding has already
>reached $130 with two days still to go
>
>The more I look into photo printer the more uncertain I'm becoming
>about which printer to purchase.
>I like the size of the HP145, and I certainly don't have a closed mind
>re this printer, but at this stage my preference is between the Canon
>i865, and the Epson R210.
>Reading the newsgroup "comp.periphs.printers" the general impression
>that I'm getting is the Epson has clogging problems? However, never
>having used an Epson I have no first hand experience to go by.
>If anyone has had experience with both these printers (Canon i865 and
>the Epson R210)I would appreciate their opinion.
>
>Regards,
>John.

Epsons only have clogging problems when used by Idiots and don't use the
printer correctly.

The Canon is only a Crap bubble jet, and Only 4 colours..

Yes I have had 3 Epsons and now own a R210, for what it offers there is
nothing at all to touch it..

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:54:50 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +1200, Paul wrote:
>
>> "Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> A dyesub printer can be had arround the $350.00 mark and the paper and
>>> dye ribbion can be purchaed for arround $49.00 for a pak of 40 pages of
>>> 6"x4"
>>> If thats all you want to use it for better than ink jet end of story

>Is the Panasonic printer SV-AP10EN a dyesub printer?
>
>http://www.panasonic.co.nz/web_conte...p?id=100007501
>
>Do you have any knowledge of this printer? Seems expensive at $599,
>but I use a Panasonic camera so compatibility wise, this might be a
>good choice.
>
>Regards,
>John.

Yes I have one got mine for $299 at LV Martins..

Costs about $1.20 per print.

Has nothing to do with a Panasonic camera, uses a PC or SD card, has a PC slot
for other adaptors.

Canon/Sony/Hi-Touch and many others do Dye Sub printers.

Epson & HP ? do small Post card printers..

geoffm

There was a review of the Epson in the latest PC World mag. they seem
to like it. doesn't seem to be listed on
http://www.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/rev...egory=Printers
yet
Geoff

John

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 06:57:50 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

> John wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +1200, Paul wrote:
>>

>>>"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Is the Panasonic printer SV-AP10EN a dyesub printer?
>>
>> http://www.panasonic.co.nz/web_conte...p?id=100007501
>>
>> Do you have any knowledge of this printer? Seems expensive at $599,
>> but I use a Panasonic camera so compatibility wise, this might be a
>> good choice.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John.

> Couldent tell you from the web site

Neither could I

> A dyesub will have a colour cartage with all the colour in it. the
> colour is on a cellophane ribbon that goes something like this yellow
> magenta cyan and keeps on going once the ribbon advances that part is
> used like a typewrighter it cant be used again the colour on the ribbon
> is as large as the print media(paper) and the re charge packs come with
> paper and colour(ribbon)cartage.

From what I have found the ink is in a cassette that is sold together
with an amount of photo paper in a package. Sounds much like the Kodak
package.

> The Kodak Printer docks are dyesub printers as well as being A camera Dock.
>
> Sorry if this does not make too much sence. I had a Rough Night this
> morning.

Makes sense to me If I'm reading you correctly it would appear that
the "Panasonic printer SV-AP10EN" is a "Dyesub printer".

Thanks for the time spent in explaining things to me, much
appreciated.

Regards,
John.

John

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:28:02 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

> Epsons only have clogging problems when used by Idiots and don't use the
> printer correctly.
>
> The Canon is only a Crap bubble jet, and Only 4 colours..

Fair enough Roger that's your opinion, but do you have any basis other
than the number of colours used, why the Canon is "Crap"?
Is it possible to point to a web site, or review, that states the
Canon is crap, this would make my purchase much easier

> Yes I have had 3 Epsons and now own a R210, for what it offers there is
> nothing at all to touch it..

How many Canon printers have you owned? Have you used the Canon i865?

At this stage the reviews that I have read give both these printers a
good recommendation, but in the printer newsgroup, the Canon seems to
be the preferred manufacture.

Regards,
John.

John

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:35:07 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:54:50 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +1200, Paul wrote:
>>
>>> "Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>Is the Panasonic printer SV-AP10EN a dyesub printer?
>>
>>http://www.panasonic.co.nz/web_conte...p?id=100007501
>>
>>Do you have any knowledge of this printer? Seems expensive at $599,
>>but I use a Panasonic camera so compatibility wise, this might be a
>>good choice.
>>
>>Regards,
>>John.

> Yes I have one got mine for $299 at LV Martins..

That's strange. I've rang LV Martins and they state that they don't
stock the printer and as far as the guy I spoke too is concerned,
never have.
Are you sure that we are talking about the same printer? (Panasonic
printer SV-AP10EN).
I contacted Panasonic and told them I couldn't locate a store that
stocks this printer, and they referred me to Newbolds, who has the
printer at $599.95.
If in fact you do own a Panasonic SV-AP10EN would you be interested in
selling?

> Costs about $1.20 per print.
>
> Has nothing to do with a Panasonic camera, uses a PC or SD card, has a PC slot
> for other adaptors.
>
> Canon/Sony/Hi-Touch and many others do Dye Sub printers.
>
> Epson & HP ? do small Post card printers..

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Regards,
John.