Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Meandering mouse problem

Meandering mouse problem

NZed

My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse. Without
checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse it just
hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.

The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use the
standard XP home drivers.
I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
Nothing has showed up.

Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.

NZed

---

Slyder

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:31NGc.6785$(E-Mail Removed):

What type of mouse? If it's an optical try it on a different surface (no
mousepad)

> My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse.
> Without checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
> Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
> The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse it
> just hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.
>
> The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use
> the standard XP home drivers.
> I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
> I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
> Nothing has showed up.
>
> Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.
>
> NZed
>

> ---

NZed

It was a roller ...had the problem.
I replaced it with an optical....no luck
still has the same problem.
Interestingly...when it boots up to the administration login.
Its okay.
But after the machine boots up....all hell brakes out.
NZed

"Slyder" <Newsgroup*@*waicomp.co.nz> wrote in message
news:Xns951FDF42C37AFnzslyderhotmail@202.20.93.13. ..
> "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:31NGc.6785$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> What type of mouse? If it's an optical try it on a different surface (no
> mousepad)
>
> > My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse.
> > Without checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
> > Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
> > The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse it
> > just hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.
> >
> > The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use
> > the standard XP home drivers.
> > I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
> > I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
> > Nothing has showed up.
> >
> > Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.
> >
> > NZed
> >

> > ---

---

Dave Taylor

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:S4RGc.6825$(E-Mail Removed):

> It was a roller ...had the problem.
> I replaced it with an optical....no luck
> still has the same problem.
> Interestingly...when it boots up to the administration login.
> Its okay.
> But after the machine boots up....all hell brakes out.
> NZed

Sounds like one of those joke apps.

Check the startup places, and try running spybot search and destroy,
Trendmicro House Call , and Pest Patrols online scans.

~misfit~

NZed wrote:
> It was a roller ...had the problem.
> I replaced it with an optical....no luck
> still has the same problem.
> Interestingly...when it boots up to the administration login.
> Its okay.
> But after the machine boots up....all hell brakes out.

Methinks you need to install a driver. I use MS Intellimouse 4.1 drivers
regardless of the mouse. They seem to work with everything.
--
~misfit~

> "Slyder" <Newsgroup*@*waicomp.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:Xns951FDF42C37AFnzslyderhotmail@202.20.93.13. ..
>> "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:31NGc.6785$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> What type of mouse? If it's an optical try it on a different
>> surface (no mousepad)
>>
>>> My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse.
>>> Without checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
>>> Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
>>> The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse
>>> it just hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.
>>>
>>> The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use
>>> the standard XP home drivers.
>>> I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
>>> I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
>>> Nothing has showed up.
>>>
>>> Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.
>>>
>>> NZed
>>>

>>> ---
>>>

> ---

frederick

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:31NGc.6785$(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
> The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use

the
> standard XP home drivers.

<snip>
But did the old mouse come with drivers / software that you need to
uninstall first?
Try booting in Safe mode - if the mouse works at the login screen, then
maybe it is some incorrect software or malware loading at login.

Richard

NZed wrote:

> My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse. Without
> checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
> Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
> The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse it just
> hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.
>
> The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use the
> standard XP home drivers.
> I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
> I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
> Nothing has showed up.
>
> Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.

Check the acceleration settings in the mouse control panel - I think its set to
slow with full acceleration which is why you can get it to move if you really
move it fast

Dave - Dave.net.nz

NZed wrote:
> Interestingly...when it boots up to the administration login.
> Its okay.
> But after the machine boots up....all hell brakes out.

I had this a while ago, I installed Logitech Mouseware, and all was
resolved.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Collector_NZ

NZed said the following on 7/07/2004 18:48:
> My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse. Without
> checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
> Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
> The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse it just
> hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.
>
> The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use the
> standard XP home drivers.
> I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
> I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
> Nothing has showed up.
>
> Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.
>
> NZed
>

> ---

You have an app conflicting with the address space used by the mouse control
software. The most common candidate for this is extended video mode drivers.

Check back to see what has been recently installed.