Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > telstra clear and peering exchange

telstra clear and peering exchange

Nik Coughin

Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it suggested to me
that it may be causing the problem with not being able to access
vodafone.co.nz:

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.nrkn.com/

Nik Coughin

Nik Coughin wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it suggested
> to me that it may be causing the problem with not being able to access
> vodafone.co.nz:

I hate it when it sends before I finish typing.

This:

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...256EC900164A26

AD.

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:50:08 +1200, Nik Coughin wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it suggested to
> me that it may be causing the problem with not being able to access
> vodafone.co.nz:

Have you tried a traceroute?

If you end up getting there via overseas routers, then it probably is
something to do with the peering.

Cheers
Anton

Nik Coughin

AD. wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:50:08 +1200, Nik Coughin wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it
>> suggested to me that it may be causing the problem with not being
>> able to access vodafone.co.nz:

> Have you tried a traceroute?
>
> If you end up getting there via overseas routers, then it probably is
> something to do with the peering.
>
> Cheers
> Anton

Tracing route to www.vodafone.co.nz [202.73.199.35]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.7.1
2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.138
3 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms 219-88-160-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz
[219.88.160.1]

4 46 ms 44 ms 43 ms 203.96.122.59
5 54 ms 50 ms 61 ms 202.50.245.193
6 47 ms 46 ms 48 ms 203.96.120.30
7 44 ms 46 ms 45 ms vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
[202.49
..163.70]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
etc.

I don't end up getting there at all, it can't seem to get past
vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz.

Matthew Poole

In article <jpKGc.8027$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it suggested to me
>that it may be causing the problem with not being able to access
>vodafone.co.nz:

I know a fair bit about this, and it's not the cause of your problem.
TelstraClear have absolutely NOTHING to do with the traceroute you
posted in another post. That connection is Telecon from end-to-end -
Global Gateway is Telescum's wholesale arm, and you're using Xtra DSL.

Plus, Testicular a) aren't de-peering until 1 Novermber, and b) don't
have control of the peering points. Their exit will not affect other
people at the peering exchange, other than the changes to traffic
roughts.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

steve

Nik Coughin wrote:

> AD. wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:50:08 +1200, Nik Coughin wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it
>>> suggested to me that it may be causing the problem with not being
>>> able to access vodafone.co.nz:

>> Have you tried a traceroute?
>>
>> If you end up getting there via overseas routers, then it probably is
>> something to do with the peering.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Anton

> Tracing route to www.vodafone.co.nz [202.73.199.35]
> over a maximum of 30 hops:
>
> 1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.7.1
> 2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.138
> 3 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms 219-88-160-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz
> [219.88.160.1]
>
> 4 46 ms 44 ms 43 ms 203.96.122.59
> 5 54 ms 50 ms 61 ms 202.50.245.193
> 6 47 ms 46 ms 48 ms 203.96.120.30
> 7 44 ms 46 ms 45 ms vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
> [202.49
> .163.70]
> 8 * * * Request timed out.
> 9 * * * Request timed out.
> etc.
>
> I don't end up getting there at all, it can't seem to get past
> vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz.

Looks like their (Vodafone's) firewall does not return pings.

This is not usual.

Nik Coughin

Matthew Poole wrote:
> In article <jpKGc.8027$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Nik Coughin"
> <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone knows much about this, have had it
>> suggested to me that it may be causing the problem with not being
>> able to access vodafone.co.nz:
>>

> I know a fair bit about this, and it's not the cause of your problem.
> TelstraClear have absolutely NOTHING to do with the traceroute you
> posted in another post. That connection is Telecon from end-to-end -
> Global Gateway is Telescum's wholesale arm, and you're using Xtra DSL.
>
> Plus, Testicular a) aren't de-peering until 1 Novermber, and b) don't
> have control of the peering points. Their exit will not affect other
> people at the peering exchange, other than the changes to traffic
> roughts.

Ah... thanks Matthew.

steve

steve wrote:

> Nik Coughin wrote:
>
>> AD. wrote:

>>> Have you tried a traceroute?
>>>
>>> If you end up getting there via overseas routers, then it probably is
>>> something to do with the peering.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Anton

>> Tracing route to www.vodafone.co.nz [202.73.199.35]
>> over a maximum of 30 hops:
>>
>> 1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.7.1
>> 2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.138
>> 3 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms 219-88-160-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz
>> [219.88.160.1]
>>
>> 4 46 ms 44 ms 43 ms 203.96.122.59
>> 5 54 ms 50 ms 61 ms 202.50.245.193
>> 6 47 ms 46 ms 48 ms 203.96.120.30
>> 7 44 ms 46 ms 45 ms vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
>> [202.49
>> .163.70]
>> 8 * * * Request timed out.
>> 9 * * * Request timed out.
>> etc.
>>
>> I don't end up getting there at all, it can't seem to get past
>> vodafone-dom.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz.

> Looks like their (Vodafone's) firewall does not return pings.
>
> This is not usual.

UM....shudda been: This is not UNusual......