Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Latest Westpac scam targets NZ users

Latest Westpac scam targets NZ users

Craig Shore

I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac yesterday, but
this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.

I thought i'd click on the link to see what the fake www site looked like, and
was quite suprised to see that it automatically redirected to an official
Westpac site informing you of the fraud and telling you to call their 0800
number if you had disclosed your information.

Westpac site
http://www.westpac.co.nz/olcontent/o...Probable+fraud

Original link
http://222.96.156.154/net/.o/wz/bnak.html

Original email...

Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:42:12 +0000
From: Westpac New Zealand <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: Official information from Westpac New Zealand
Sender: Westpac New Zealand <(E-Mail Removed)>
To: Craigshore <(E-Mail Removed)>

Dear valued Customer!

As part of our continuing commitment to
protect your account and to reduce the instance
of fraud on our website, we are undertaking a
period review of our member accounts. You are
requested to visit our site by following the link
given below. This is required for us to continue
to offer you a safe and risk free environment to
send and receive money online, and maintain the
Westpac New Zealand Experience. After verification
you will be redirected to the Westpac New Zealand
home page. Thank you.
https://sec.westpactrust.co.nz/IOLB/newSession

We appreciate your business. It's truly our pleasure to serve you.

Westpac New Zealand Customer Care

Ryan Jacobs

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac yesterday,

but
> this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.

<snip>

Personally, I think anyone that is stupid enough to fall for these scams
deserves to loose everything they've got. I mean, it's not like it hasn't
been overly publicised already. Maybe, these same stupid fools would like a
hook-up with the Nigerian bank account dudes? Or, maybe I could sell them my
shares in the Auckland harbour bridge.

Just proves Darwin's theory to be true!

RJ out.

David Butler

Especially if you are not a westpac customer like me, we have received this
email quite a few times lately.

"Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XytGc.7718$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac

yesterday,
> but
> > this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.
> >

> <snip>
>
> Personally, I think anyone that is stupid enough to fall for these scams
> deserves to loose everything they've got. I mean, it's not like it hasn't
> been overly publicised already. Maybe, these same stupid fools would like

> hook-up with the Nigerian bank account dudes? Or, maybe I could sell them

my
> shares in the Auckland harbour bridge.
>
> Just proves Darwin's theory to be true!
>

> RJ out.

TomV

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:27:56 +1200, Craig Shore
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac yesterday, but
>this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.
>
>I thought i'd click on the link to see what the fake www site looked like, and
>was quite suprised to see that it automatically redirected to an official
>Westpac site informing you of the fraud and telling you to call their 0800
>number if you had disclosed your information.

Bloody good. Excellent to see how quickly it was dealt with.

....tom

JB

"Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XytGc.7718$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac

yesterday,
> but
> > this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.
> >

> <snip>
>
> Personally, I think anyone that is stupid enough to fall for these scams
> deserves to loose everything they've got. I mean, it's not like it hasn't
> been overly publicised already. Maybe, these same stupid fools would like

> hook-up with the Nigerian bank account dudes? Or, maybe I could sell them

my
> shares in the Auckland harbour bridge.
>
> Just proves Darwin's theory to be true!
>

> RJ out.

Don't forget that many people are "NEW" users of the WWW / E-mail etc. They
have yet to benefit from the accumulated knowledge that many of us already
have about Internet Safety, scams, viruses spyware etc. Perhaps computer
sales companies should emark on an education program for all new PC
purchasers, especially for more mature people - Kids get a lot of this ICT
education in schools now, and are very becoming savvy - I spend a lot of
time at my parents friends' places giving them tuition in PC security etc.
Doesn't take a lot to get them to realize that a few simple steps can make
you safe and secure on the net.

Cheers

JB

Ryan Jacobs

"JB" <(E-Mail Removed)_REMOVE> wrote in message
news:sNuGc.6674$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XytGc.7718$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac

> yesterday,
> > but
> > > this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.
> > >

> > <snip>
> >
> > Personally, I think anyone that is stupid enough to fall for these scams
> > deserves to loose everything they've got. I mean, it's not like it

hasn't
> > been overly publicised already. Maybe, these same stupid fools would

like
> > hook-up with the Nigerian bank account dudes? Or, maybe I could sell

them
> my
> > shares in the Auckland harbour bridge.
> >
> > Just proves Darwin's theory to be true!
> >

> > RJ out.
> >

> Don't forget that many people are "NEW" users of the WWW / E-mail etc.

They
> have yet to benefit from the accumulated knowledge that many of us already
> have about Internet Safety, scams, viruses spyware etc. Perhaps computer
> sales companies should emark on an education program for all new PC
> purchasers, especially for more mature people - Kids get a lot of this ICT
> education in schools now, and are very becoming savvy - I spend a lot of
> time at my parents friends' places giving them tuition in PC security etc.
> Doesn't take a lot to get them to realize that a few simple steps can make
> you safe and secure on the net.
>
> Cheers
>
> JB

Fair point, but, as I stated earlier - "it's not like it hasn't been overly
publicised".

These "newbies" read newspapers/magazines? They watch TV? They listen to the
radio? They listen to their friends who got scammed?

Come on, stop making excuses for the terminally stupid. I for one am getting
sick of hearing the news reports of yet another idiot bleeting about how
they got scammed. FFS, there's still people getting sucked in by the
Nigerian bank account scam - some 20 years AFTER the first reported case.

The old adage - "if it sounds to good to be true - it probably isn't true"
seems to desert idiots when the greed of $$$$$ takes control.

BTW, my share of the Auckland harbour bridge is now on the market. I have a
35% ownership and I've decided to sell it for a mere $1000 - any takers?

RJ out.

Max Burke

> Craig Shore scribbled:
> I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac
> yesterday, but this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.

> I thought i'd click on the link to see what the fake www site looked
> like, and was quite suprised to see that it automatically redirected
> to an official Westpac site informing you of the fraud and telling
> you to call their 0800 number if you had disclosed your information.

I trust you have checked to make sure the original website didn't download
any 'nasties' on it's way to the legit website?

(1) MODERATE: Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability
Affected:
Internet Explorer versions 5, 5.01 and 6
Opera version 7.5x
Mozilla version 1.6
Mozilla Firebird versions 0.7 and 0.8
Netscape version 7.1
Safari version 1.2.2

browsers including the widely used Internet Explorer. This vulnerability
permits a malicious website to inject a "frame" into the browser window
of another website. For example, the content from
http://www.malicious.com can be loaded into another window displaying
the content from http://www.msdn.com. The flaw can be exploited by a
malicious webpage to spoof its identity as a trusted site. This may lead
to stealing sensitive user information such as passwords, or further
compromise of the user system. Proof-of-concept exploit has been
publicly posted.

Found Images

Collector_NZ

Craig Shore said the following on 6/07/2004 20:27:

> I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac yesterday, but
> this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.
>
> I thought i'd click on the link to see what the fake www site looked like, and
> was quite suprised to see that it automatically redirected to an official
> Westpac site informing you of the fraud and telling you to call their 0800
> number if you had disclosed your information.
>
> Westpac site
> http://www.westpac.co.nz/olcontent/o...Probable+fraud
>
> Original link
> http://222.96.156.154/net/.o/wz/bnak.html
>
> Original email...
>

> Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:42:12 +0000
> From: Westpac New Zealand <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject: Official information from Westpac New Zealand
> Sender: Westpac New Zealand <(E-Mail Removed)>
> To: Craigshore <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Dear valued Customer!
>
> As part of our continuing commitment to
> protect your account and to reduce the instance
> of fraud on our website, we are undertaking a
> period review of our member accounts. You are
> requested to visit our site by following the link
> given below. This is required for us to continue
> to offer you a safe and risk free environment to
> send and receive money online, and maintain the
> Westpac New Zealand Experience. After verification
> you will be redirected to the Westpac New Zealand
> home page. Thank you.
> https://sec.westpactrust.co.nz/IOLB/newSession
>
> We appreciate your business. It's truly our pleasure to serve you.
>
> Westpac New Zealand Customer Care

Had to laugh this am, my spam box had three westpac scammers in it all
addressedn to my old websites spam trap addresses. They are using a spammers
rom of addresses

Waylon Smithers

> Personally, I think anyone that is stupid enough to fall for these
> scams deserves to loose everything they've got. I mean, it's not like
> it hasn't been overly publicised already. Maybe, these same stupid
> fools would like a hook-up with the Nigerian bank account dudes? Or,
> maybe I could sell them my shares in the Auckland harbour bridge.

So, following your logic (people who don't know deserve what they get),
anyone who doesn't know personal self defence is entitled to get the ****
beaten out of them ?

Have a computer = must not be scammed ?? Yeah, right.

The people who are targetted by these scams generally do NOT know about
newsgroups (unlike us computer nerdy types), so you might find it requires a
different level of thinking.

Oh and my example of personal self defence - surely, because you walk around
and mingle with the public, you MUST know self defence right ? A mawashi
geri might change your mind.

Millhouse: "We started out liek Romeo and Juliet but it ended in tragedy."

J.Random Luser

In article <SovGc.6685$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I trust you have checked to make sure the original website didn't download
> any 'nasties' on it's way to the legit website?
>

> (1) MODERATE: Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability
> Affected:
> Internet Explorer versions 5, 5.01 and 6
> Opera version 7.5x
> Mozilla version 1.6
> Mozilla Firebird versions 0.7 and 0.8
> Netscape version 7.1
> Safari version 1.2.2

This would be an interesting twist on it,
the scammers send you to your real bank's site,
with a knife in your back....