Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB exteranl storage (hdd)

USB exteranl storage (hdd)

ofn01

Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?

I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one:
ICZ ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure

....and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.

But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which is
500mA (0.5A)
The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
though....
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...85,594,00.html
So this would make them incompatible right???

Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these products?

Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000

Western Digital Series II WD800B008

Dany P. Wu

"ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SULFc.6114$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
> I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one:
> ICZ ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
> ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.

I have one of that particular enclosure with a HDD that came out of an old
Toshiba Satellite laptop. I'm not sure what the HDD was rated to run on but
it seems to work just fine. Nice cheap solution for large portable storage,
with a trade-off of having moving parts as opposed to the solid state USB
drives.

D.

Mikey B

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:43:14 +1200, ofn01 wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
>
> I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one: ICZ
> ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
>
> ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
>
> But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which
> is 500mA (0.5A)
> The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
> though....
> http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...85,594,00.html
> So this would make them incompatible right???
>
> Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these
> products?
>
> Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=120914
>
> Western Digital Series II WD800B008
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116495

I suppose the good thing about buying a all-in-one solution is that you
can be fairly confident that is is going to work, unlike a rig you build
yourself. I got the Maxtor One Touch not so long ago - it works well, it's
mainly used to store MP3s and downloaded proggies - stuff I don't want to
lose if I blow away the system HDD on my computer. Also it's great if I
want to play my MP3s on another computer that isn't networked. I really
haven't had a chance or a need to use the backup software that comes with
it, but I had a short look and it seems to do what it claims to Note
that I use the USB2 connection on it.

Mike

ofn01

"Mikey B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:43:14 +1200, ofn01 wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
> >
> > I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one: ICZ
> > ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
> >
> > ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
> >
> > But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which
> > is 500mA (0.5A)
> > The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
> > though....

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...85,594,00.html
> > So this would make them incompatible right???
> >
> > Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these
> > products?
> >
> > Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000
> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=120914
> >
> > Western Digital Series II WD800B008
> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116495

> I suppose the good thing about buying a all-in-one solution is that you
> can be fairly confident that is is going to work, unlike a rig you build
> yourself. I got the Maxtor One Touch not so long ago - it works well, it's
> mainly used to store MP3s and downloaded proggies - stuff I don't want to
> lose if I blow away the system HDD on my computer. Also it's great if I
> want to play my MP3s on another computer that isn't networked. I really
> haven't had a chance or a need to use the backup software that comes with
> it, but I had a short look and it seems to do what it claims to Note
> that I use the USB2 connection on it.
>
> Mike

With the Maxtor - does it plug in and is instantly recognised as a USB mass
storage device which you can then format and use as a hard drive without any
fluffing around with drivers?

(so therefore once formatted say as FAT32 it could be plugged into another
computer and instantly accessed?)

Mikey B

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:01:54 +1200, ofn01 wrote:

> "Mikey B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:43:14 +1200, ofn01 wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
>> >
>> > I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one: ICZ
>> > ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
>> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
>> >
>> > ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
>> >
>> > But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which
>> > is 500mA (0.5A)
>> > The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
>> > though....
>> >

> http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...85,594,00.html
>> > So this would make them incompatible right???
>> >
>> > Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these
>> > products?
>> >
>> > Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000
>> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=120914
>> >
>> > Western Digital Series II WD800B008
>> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116495

>> I suppose the good thing about buying a all-in-one solution is that you
>> can be fairly confident that is is going to work, unlike a rig you build
>> yourself. I got the Maxtor One Touch not so long ago - it works well, it's
>> mainly used to store MP3s and downloaded proggies - stuff I don't want to
>> lose if I blow away the system HDD on my computer. Also it's great if I
>> want to play my MP3s on another computer that isn't networked. I really
>> haven't had a chance or a need to use the backup software that comes with
>> it, but I had a short look and it seems to do what it claims to Note
>> that I use the USB2 connection on it.
>>
>> Mike

> With the Maxtor - does it plug in and is instantly recognised as a USB mass
> storage device which you can then format and use as a hard drive without any
> fluffing around with drivers?
>
> (so therefore once formatted say as FAT32 it could be plugged into another
> computer and instantly accessed?)

Yeah, I've used it on both Win2K and XP and both recognise it and install
the drivers needed automagically (just like a USB Flash Key)- it then
shows up as just another drive letter. One thing to note is that you are
supposed to install the OneTouch software first if you want to use that,
but I've just plugged it into a PC without doing that, and it works
flawlessly just as a external HDD.

Mike

ofn01

"Mikey B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:01:54 +1200, ofn01 wrote:
>

> > "Mikey B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...

which

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...85,594,00.html

> >> I suppose the good thing about buying a all-in-one solution is that you
> >> can be fairly confident that is is going to work, unlike a rig you

build
> >> yourself. I got the Maxtor One Touch not so long ago - it works well,

it's
> >> mainly used to store MP3s and downloaded proggies - stuff I don't want

> >> lose if I blow away the system HDD on my computer. Also it's great if I
> >> want to play my MP3s on another computer that isn't networked. I really
> >> haven't had a chance or a need to use the backup software that comes

with
> >> it, but I had a short look and it seems to do what it claims to

Note
> >> that I use the USB2 connection on it.
> >>
> >> Mike

> > With the Maxtor - does it plug in and is instantly recognised as a USB

mass
> > storage device which you can then format and use as a hard drive without

any
> > fluffing around with drivers?
> >
> > (so therefore once formatted say as FAT32 it could be plugged into

another
> > computer and instantly accessed?)

> Yeah, I've used it on both Win2K and XP and both recognise it and install
> the drivers needed automagically (just like a USB Flash Key)- it then
> shows up as just another drive letter. One thing to note is that you are
> supposed to install the OneTouch software first if you want to use that,
> but I've just plugged it into a PC without doing that, and it works
> flawlessly just as a external HDD.
>
> Mike

Is that the 80Gb version (the same one from the url I posted?)
Does it run off the USB port or does it have its own external power cord as
well?

Mikey B

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:15:25 +1200, ofn01 wrote:

> "Mikey B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:01:54 +1200, ofn01 wrote:
>>

>> > "Mikey B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news(E-Mail Removed)...

> which
>> >> >

> http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...85,594,00.html

> build

> it's

> with

> Note

>> > With the Maxtor - does it plug in and is instantly recognised as a USB

> mass
>> > storage device which you can then format and use as a hard drive without

> any
>> > fluffing around with drivers?
>> >
>> > (so therefore once formatted say as FAT32 it could be plugged into

> another
>> > computer and instantly accessed?)

>> Yeah, I've used it on both Win2K and XP and both recognise it and install
>> the drivers needed automagically (just like a USB Flash Key)- it then
>> shows up as just another drive letter. One thing to note is that you are
>> supposed to install the OneTouch software first if you want to use that,
>> but I've just plugged it into a PC without doing that, and it works
>> flawlessly just as a external HDD.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Is that the 80Gb version (the same one from the url I posted?)
> Does it run off the USB port or does it have its own external power cord as
> well?

Yeah, it's the 80Gb one, mine only came with a USB connection (no
firewire). Yeah, comes with a external power cord which ends in a wall
wart. When I brought the drive I picked up a Maxtor carry case which has a
pouch for the USB and power cables
(http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=115647)

Mike

Daver

We have nine Maxtors and with firewire and usb 2. The early ones in a
plastic case seem to get quite warm and so far 2.5 have failed. I'm not sure
about the third as it seemed to come right with a reformat.
The latest ones in the metal case run quite cool so may last better.

> > that I use the USB2 connection on it.
> >
> > Mike

> With the Maxtor - does it plug in and is instantly recognised as a USB

mass
> storage device which you can then format and use as a hard drive without

any
> fluffing around with drivers?
>
> (so therefore once formatted say as FAT32 it could be plugged into another
> computer and instantly accessed?)

Pete

I believe Welland are the manufacturers of these enclosures. Ive also seen them
listed as 'ICE' - http://www.welland.com.tw/html/case/930.html

PP list them for $36 http://www.pp.co.nz/Accessories-HardDiskDrives.php

ofn01 wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
>
> I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one:
> ICZ ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
>
> ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
>
> But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which is
> 500mA (0.5A)
> The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
> though....
> http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...85,594,00.html
> So this would make them incompatible right???
>
> Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these products?
>
> Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=120914
>
> Western Digital Series II WD800B008
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116495

Enkidu

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:43:14 +1200, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
>
>I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one:
>ICZ ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
>http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
>
>...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
>
>But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which is
>500mA (0.5A)
>The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
>though....
>http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...85,594,00.html
>So this would make them incompatible right???

I've had variable results with external USB drives. Sometimes it
worked and sometimes it didn't. When plugged into a powered hub, it
works fine. I attribute that to current drain problems, so, basically,
I'd not buy another non-powered USB external drive, even if it means
carrying a power pack around.

Cheers,

Cliff