Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dell @ The Warehouse - opinions?

Dell @ The Warehouse - opinions?

Gurble

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 22:24:23 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> wrote:

>> recommend
>> > >
>> > Rather long wait for the system, and Dell's "service" is pretty
>> > nonexistent.

>> That's what I have heard (about the service). I think I'm going to forget
>> about Dell. Assuming I am buying from a "regular" retailer like Harvey
>> Norman or Noel Leeming, which of these brands are dodgy in your opinion:
>>
>> Acer
>> Packard Bell
>> HP
>> Compaq

>I think you should forget the whole idea. It'll be at least another 10
>years before home computers ever have enough power to send emails like in
>the movies which are set in the future.
>It's only been 2 years since one could get and use a colour monitor on a
>computer.

Idiot.

Jerry

Aaron Zarlos wrote:
> So how do these cheapie PC's at The Warehouse stack up?

Got one for mum and the kids when they first became available.
It runs 24/7. Dual boot, XP for mum and Mandrake for the kids
All is well. I am happy to get what I pay for, this is all they need.

Jerry

TmcT

"Bruce Hoult" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Aaron Zarlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > That's what I have heard (about the service). I think I'm going to

forget
> > about Dell. Assuming I am buying from a "regular" retailer like Harvey
> > Norman or Noel Leeming, which of these brands are dodgy in your opinion:
> >
> > Acer
> > Packard Bell
> > HP
> > Compaq

> They all are, at the low end.
>
> You're much much better off paying someone local $100 to build you a
> computer from the major components (case/power supply, motherbard, CPU,
> RAM, disks).
>
> ASUS and a few others that make quality ATX motherbords are a far better
> "name brand" than HP or Compaq or Dell when it comes to low end
> computers.
>
> -- Bruce

Agree.
or DIY.

The Hobbit

"Aaron Zarlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So how do these cheapie PC's at The Warehouse stack up? Has anyone bought
> one as a spare PC or whatever? I was put off by it being only a Celeron
> Processor, but how would it fare if it were only used for simple web,

email,
> etc?

For that use it should be fine, I got one for my folks when they were being
sold that last time around. No dramas, a far better machine than the Cyrix
6x86 they *were* using, and at a price point which made them happy to
upgrade.

> Also, how is Dell Online, anyone ordered that way before and can recommend
> or not recommend?

Friend of mine bought a PC via the website, pretty quick delivery, not
*that* granular with their statuc updates, it's awaiting processing for a
few days then all of a sudden it's shipped and 6 hours later and email
arrives to say it's ready for delivery. Depends on your budget and desire to
get your hands dirty at the end of the day, personally I like to buy the
bits and build my own - YMMV

geoffm

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:39:10 +1200, "Aaron Zarlos"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Also, how is Dell Online, anyone ordered that way before and can recommend
>or not recommend?

I bought a laptop from Dell at the start of the year. I like the
computer - when I finally got it 2 days before I left for the South
Island. I ordered it 7 weeks beforehand.
Dell service is "agricultural". Don't expect an answer if you ring up
with a problem. A knowledge of Hindi would also be useful.
OTOH, the laptop has been good. Bigger and heavier than say a Sony
Vario, but it was a tradeoff for $$$ as well, and I don't carry it
that much.
For a desktop, see a good local supplier and get one built to your
needs and budget. Be better value and easier to get fixed if it smokes
under warranty, or to replace parts if out of warranty.
Geoff

Craig Shore

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:22:49 +1200, Bruce Hoult <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Aaron Zarlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> That's what I have heard (about the service). I think I'm going to forget
>> about Dell. Assuming I am buying from a "regular" retailer like Harvey
>> Norman or Noel Leeming, which of these brands are dodgy in your opinion:
>>
>> Acer
>> Packard Bell
>> HP
>> Compaq

>They all are, at the low end.
>
>You're much much better off paying someone local $100 to build you a
>computer from the major components (case/power supply, motherbard, CPU,
>RAM, disks).
>
>ASUS and a few others that make quality ATX motherbords are a far better
>"name brand" than HP or Compaq or Dell when it comes to low end
>computers.

I used to think that about ASUS, but I now give them Roger's CRAP mark for their
mainboards.

E. Scrooge

"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> recommend

> >> That's what I have heard (about the service). I think I'm going to

forget
> >> about Dell. Assuming I am buying from a "regular" retailer like Harvey
> >> Norman or Noel Leeming, which of these brands are dodgy in your

opinion:

> >> Acer
> >> Packard Bell
> >> HP
> >> Compaq

> >I think you should forget the whole idea. It'll be at least another 10
> >years before home computers ever have enough power to send emails like in
> >the movies which are set in the future.
> >It's only been 2 years since one could get and use a colour monitor on a
> >computer.
> >

> Idiot.

What's basic today isn't all that basic (especially for the very low price
of today) compared to the TOP range PCs of some years ago, Dopey.
And what's the point of being able send emails as one of the main
requirements of any new PC?
PCs have been able to do basic tasks for years and while having less than
128MB of RAM.
For someone wanting a cheap PC that doesn't intend on playing Roger's Far
Cry etc, today's new buyer couldn't be luckier. Same with those that want
more power than they'll use on average.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0qRFc.7011$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Aaron Zarlos wrote:
> > So how do these cheapie PC's at The Warehouse stack up?

> Got one for mum and the kids when they first became available.
> It runs 24/7. Dual boot, XP for mum and Mandrake for the kids
> All is well. I am happy to get what I pay for, this is all they need.
>
> Jerry

Good cheap usable PC. Good on them.

E. Scrooge

Brendan

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:36:19 +1200, Gurble wrote:

>>I think you should forget the whole idea. It'll be at least another 10
>>years before home computers ever have enough power to send emails like in
>>the movies which are set in the future.
>>It's only been 2 years since one could get and use a colour monitor on a
>>computer.
>>

> Idiot.

Yes, you are correct.

--

.... Brendan

"We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." -- George Bernard Shaw

Note: All comments are copyright 5/07/2004 12:21:21 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Disco Stu

~misfit~ wrote:
> GraB wrote:

>>I built a PC based on a K6-2/550 with 256megs of RAM and 98SE that
>>would do all that without breaking into a sweat.

> I have a Celeron 900 with 384MB on a BX board (but with ATA100 IDE), a
> 7,200rpm ATA133 system HDD and a GF2 and, other than for demanding games,

I have a system running an AMD K2-350 with a 6GB HDD and 64Meg RAM.
I've only just upgraded it to a PCI video card with 2Meg RAM that
somebody gave me for free. It had been running for about 5 years with a
512KB ISA video card. Runs 98SE just fine and can email, browse the
net and do word processing and printing no problem. Why anybody would
suggest a 2.2 GHZ celeron isn't up to the task is beyond me.

The Dell being sold by The Warehouse sounds like a good deal for people
wanting a low spec box. The Dell service may be slow, but they are
certainly not fly by night cowboys.