Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How can I get rid of a broadcast mesage to 224.0.0.22 ?

How can I get rid of a broadcast mesage to 224.0.0.22 ?

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Hi all

I have been running Windows XP Pro with SP1 for a short while now, but
my firewall keeps picking up that various Windows services, etc. are
trying to broadcast to ip 224.0.0.22, whatever that is.

What have I done to instigate this and what can I do to stop the
broadcast happening?

Many thanks
--
To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.

David Preece

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have been running Windows XP Pro with SP1 for a short while now, but
> my firewall keeps picking up that various Windows services, etc. are
> trying to broadcast to ip 224.0.0.22, whatever that is.

It's part of multicast, I wouldn't worry about it.

Dave

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm, strange. On my old Windows 2000 I never had this broadcast being
picked up by my firewall. Is there anyway I can turn off multicast in
Windows XP?

Thanks

--
To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
(E-Mail Removed)

Richard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Hmmm, strange. On my old Windows 2000 I never had this broadcast being
> picked up by my firewall. Is there anyway I can turn off multicast in
> Windows XP?

Most likly uPNP - disable that and the "problem" should go away. If you are
behind an ADSL router you will lose the automatic port mapping that makes MSN
messenger and some P2P programs work correctly however.

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Thanks for the reply.

If I understand you to mean by uPNP as Universal Plug and Play, then
that service is already disabled.

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:48:33 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> Hmmm, strange. On my old Windows 2000 I never had this broadcast being
>> picked up by my firewall. Is there anyway I can turn off multicast in
>> Windows XP?

>Most likly uPNP - disable that and the "problem" should go away. If you are
>behind an ADSL router you will lose the automatic port mapping that makes MSN
>messenger and some P2P programs work correctly however.

--
To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
(E-Mail Removed)

Rudy Seoa

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> If I understand you to mean by uPNP as Universal Plug and Play, then
> that service is already disabled.
>

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:48:33 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the reply.
> >>
> >> Hmmm, strange. On my old Windows 2000 I never had this broadcast being
> >> picked up by my firewall. Is there anyway I can turn off multicast in
> >> Windows XP?

> >Most likly uPNP - disable that and the "problem" should go away. If you are
> >behind an ADSL router you will lose the automatic port mapping that makes MSN
> >messenger and some P2P programs work correctly however.

Maybe the 'Internet Gateway Device Discovery' client is doing the
broadcast query

Nathan Mercer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> If I understand you to mean by uPNP as Universal Plug and Play, then
> that service is already disabled.

Maybe there are other UPnP devices on your network?