Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

J.Random Luser

Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> scoffed:
> (not to mention banking into their turns, using all that hard vacuum for
> uplift ?)

If it's good enough for Klingons & Romulans ....
note that Federation ships rarely bank for turning

Dave - Dave.net.nz

J.Random Luser wrote:
>>(not to mention banking into their turns, using all that hard vacuum for
>>uplift ?)

> If it's good enough for Klingons & Romulans ....
> note that Federation ships rarely bank for turning

I always find it amazing that they all "fly" up the same way... surely
if they all have "internal gravity", then it shouldn't matter.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

AD.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:23:46 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

> Even Babylon 5 spacecraft made sounds. If anything was going to get it
> right....

I've never watched Babylon 5 (so this could be total *******s, or refer to
a different programme/movie altogether), but I did read one sci fi geek
saying that you never heard the sounds when the camera was out in space
only when it was in the cockpit. Apparently the ships sensors provided
audible feedback to the pilots for situational awareness.

And as for banking in space, that might kinda work if there was a big
thruster under the ship - the little thrusters rotate the ship so the big
thruster can do the real work. Even then it wouldn't look like WW1
dogfights though

Cheers
Anton

Dave - Dave.net.nz

AD. wrote:
> And as for banking in space, that might kinda work if there was a big
> thruster under the ship - the little thrusters rotate the ship so the big
> thruster can do the real work. Even then it wouldn't look like WW1
> dogfights though

and surely they'd have sheilds, so no need to move out of the way, and
lazers that tracked the ships movements anyway...

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Disco Stu

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> and surely they'd have sheilds, so no need to move out of the way, and
> lazers that tracked the ships movements anyway...

I don't know about Babylon 5, but the Incom T-65 X-wing Starfighter is
fitted with a system of etheric rudders that change thrust vectors that
allow for increased combat maneuverability.

Official sources claim it is fitted with lasers, but this claim I find
dubious as the energy projected is not constant and apparently not at
light speed. I believe they are actually armed with some kind of
'blaster' cannon.

Dogg

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:39:10 +1200, Disco Stu
<stu@springfield_dance_studio.com> wrote:

>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> and surely they'd have sheilds, so no need to move out of the way, and
>> lazers that tracked the ships movements anyway...

>I don't know about Babylon 5, but the Incom T-65 X-wing Starfighter is
>fitted with a system of etheric rudders that change thrust vectors that
>allow for increased combat maneuverability.
>
>Official sources claim it is fitted with lasers, but this claim I find
>dubious as the energy projected is not constant and apparently not at
>light speed. I believe they are actually armed with some kind of
>'blaster' cannon.

Except that the 'Ether' was proved not to exist over 100 years ago....

AD.

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 08:34:38 +1200, Dogg wrote:

> Except that the 'Ether' was proved not to exist over 100 years ago....

They only said that to stop the kids getting high on it during chemistry
classes!

Cheers
Anton

Disco Stu

Dogg wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:39:10 +1200, Disco Stu
> <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com> wrote:
>

>>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>

>>>and surely they'd have sheilds, so no need to move out of the way, and
>>>lazers that tracked the ships movements anyway...

>>I don't know about Babylon 5, but the Incom T-65 X-wing Starfighter is
>>fitted with a system of etheric rudders that change thrust vectors that
>>allow for increased combat maneuverability.
>>
>>Official sources claim it is fitted with lasers, but this claim I find
>>dubious as the energy projected is not constant and apparently not at
>>light speed. I believe they are actually armed with some kind of
>>'blaster' cannon.

> Except that the 'Ether' was proved not to exist over 100 years ago....

You're lack of faith in the force is disturbing.

Waylon Smithers

> You're lack of faith in the force is disturbing.

This thread is disturbing !!

It's giving ammunition for those who think the www is populated by people
like cartoon book store guy form the Simpsons... hahaha.

~!@#$^&*()_+

Millhouse; "We started out like Romeo and Juliet but it ended in tragedy."

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Waylon Smithers wrote:
>>You're lack of faith in the force is disturbing.

> This thread is disturbing !!
> It's giving ammunition for those who think the www is populated by people
> like cartoon book store guy form the Simpsons... hahaha.

says the guy who uses the name of a charactor for his handle.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz