Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can I use a Cat 6 cable wth cat5 cards?

Can I use a Cat 6 cable wth cat5 cards?

Brett Cooper

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:10:33 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

>Brett Cooper wrote:
>> I'm looking at getting a couple of giga-network cards before
>> x-mas so I now have the cable ready.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a good place to buy cheap giga-network cards?

>assuming that your going to use PCI card, don't expect much of an
>increase in speed.
>You'll be limited by the PCI bus.

Would I be better at looking at a firewire solution?
The files that normally travel over the network are 3 to 5 1gigabyte files.

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering what the diff was with the 33 and
66mhz differences.

Brett

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Brett Cooper wrote:
>>assuming that your going to use PCI card, don't expect much of an
>>increase in speed.
>>You'll be limited by the PCI bus.

> Would I be better at looking at a firewire solution?
> The files that normally travel over the network are 3 to 5 1gigabyte files.

Dunno, but if it was an add in card(as in PCI), then it too would be
limited by the PCI bus(133MBytes/sec assuming complete saturation)... in
saying that, you'll be limited by the write speed(and read speed at the
other end) of your Hdd anyway.

> Thanks for the reply, I was wondering what the diff was with the 33 and
> 66mhz differences.

potentially, double the speed... a 66mhz PCI bus will give you
~267Mbytes/sec

You'll find that the motherboards with built in Gig eth usually have
some other sort of bus to attach it to the PC to give better performance.
someone correct me if Im wrong.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> Would I be better at looking at a firewire solution?
>> The files that normally travel over the network are 3 to 5 1gigabyte
>> files.

> Dunno, but if it was an add in card(as in PCI), then it too would be
> limited by the PCI bus(133MBytes/sec assuming complete saturation)... in
> saying that, you'll be limited by the write speed(and read speed at the
> other end) of your Hdd anyway.

just to expand a little.
it will take out one of the bottle necks, not necessarily the
smallest/tightest one, but one of them none the less.

Will it be faster than 100MBit?
no idea, I know that the onboard Gig-eth we use in some portions of work
is faster, but only where transferring big files(>1Gbyte), smaller files
where either no difference, or slower, usually slower, but nothing to
overly worry about.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Stephen Worthington

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:12:40 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>> Would I be better at looking at a firewire solution?
>>> The files that normally travel over the network are 3 to 5 1gigabyte
>>> files.

>> Dunno, but if it was an add in card(as in PCI), then it too would be
>> limited by the PCI bus(133MBytes/sec assuming complete saturation)... in
>> saying that, you'll be limited by the write speed(and read speed at the
>> other end) of your Hdd anyway.

>just to expand a little.
>it will take out one of the bottle necks, not necessarily the
>smallest/tightest one, but one of them none the less.
>
>Will it be faster than 100MBit?
>no idea, I know that the onboard Gig-eth we use in some portions of work
>is faster, but only where transferring big files(>1Gbyte), smaller files
>where either no difference, or slower, usually slower, but nothing to
>overly worry about.

I have gigabit ethernet connection between my two PCs with PCI cards.
It is certainly faster than 100 Mbit cards, but nothing like 10 times
faster. It is definintely limited by the PCI bus, and is slower than
hard disk speed (I have fast hard disks). It helps to enable jumbo
packets (>= 8000 bytes), as the interpacket gaps cause a lot of
overhead for the smaller packets normally used on ethernet. The gaps
are apparently not much smaller than on 100 Mbit ethernet, so are
nearly 10 times as long in number of bits wasted.

You can get quite cheap gigabit cards from Dick Smith now - others
will surely be matching those prices too.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> It helps to enable jumbo
> packets (>= 8000 bytes), as the interpacket gaps cause a lot of
> overhead for the smaller packets normally used on ethernet.

I havent got round to playing with this at work yet, at the moment we
only have 22(full switch{the backup has dual, and one port for uplink})
machines running on GB gear, but might trial it on one of the less
critical machines

> You can get quite cheap gigabit cards from Dick Smith now - others
> will surely be matching those prices too.

indeed.

luohao luohao is offline
Junior Member

look:http://www.ksfiberoptic.com