Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can I use a Cat 6 cable wth cat5 cards?

Reply
Thread Tools

Can I use a Cat 6 cable wth cat5 cards?

 
 
Brett Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004
I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?

Brett
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Hobbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004

"Brett Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
> Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
>

Google is your friend - it took me about 15 seconds to answer this for you -
including the time to scan the page for a relevant comparision table.

The only *real* difference is the cable quality and of course the amount of
cash the person selling it to you wants to extract from your wallet.

http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.asp



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Brett Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work
> with a Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
>
> Brett


It'll work fine - as a general rule any higher category of cable than the
minimum required will work perfectly.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:33:10 +1200, "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Brett Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
>> I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work
>> with a Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
>>
>> Brett

>
>It'll work fine - as a general rule any higher category of cable than the
>minimum required will work perfectly.


Sweet, thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:32:15 +1200, "The Hobbit"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Brett Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
>> Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
>>

>Google is your friend - it took me about 15 seconds to answer this for you -
>including the time to scan the page for a relevant comparision table.
>
>The only *real* difference is the cable quality and of course the amount of
>cash the person selling it to you wants to extract from your wallet.
>
>http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.asp
>
>


I love google also but had trouble as I didn't know what I was looking for.

Thanks for the great link, all is now clear.

Brett
 
Reply With Quote
 
thing
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004
Brett Cooper wrote:
> I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
> Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
>
> Brett


should be fine

Thing

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:45:00 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brett Cooper wrote:
>> I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
>> Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
>>
>> Brett

>
>should be fine
>
>Thing


thanks, i can now get a new cable with the thought of upgrading to a
10/100/1000 with out have a complex.

thanks
Brett

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2004
Brett Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:45:00 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Brett Cooper wrote:
>>
>>>I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
>>>Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
>>>
>>>Brett

>>
>>should be fine
>>
>>Thing

>
>
> thanks, i can now get a new cable with the thought of upgrading to a
> 10/100/1000 with out have a complex.
>
> thanks
> Brett
>

....don't think you need Cat 6 for that.

Steve
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:44:17 +1200, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brett Cooper wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:45:00 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Brett Cooper wrote:
>>>
>>>>I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
>>>>Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
>>>>
>>>>Brett
>>>
>>>should be fine
>>>
>>>Thing

>>
>>
>> thanks, i can now get a new cable with the thought of upgrading to a
>> 10/100/1000 with out have a complex.
>>
>> thanks
>> Brett
>>

>...don't think you need Cat 6 for that.
>
>Steve


I have the new cable, got a 10m cat6 from dse and it replaces my old 5m+1m
cable. The speed difference is not much different, but it i think it is
different. I'm looking at getting a couple of giga-network cards before
x-mas so I now have the cable ready.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy cheap giga-network cards?

Or have I headed off in the wrong direction and should be thinking firewire
networks?

Brett
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004
Brett Cooper wrote:
> I'm looking at getting a couple of giga-network cards before
> x-mas so I now have the cable ready.
>
> Does anyone know of a good place to buy cheap giga-network cards?


assuming that your going to use PCI card, don't expect much of an
increase in speed.
You'll be limited by the PCI bus.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
one CAT5 cable, two WiFi laptops Shawn King Wireless Networking 6 04-09-2005 12:25 AM
Anyone know about using CAT5 as a serial cable? Andy Computer Support 6 02-17-2004 07:15 AM
Cat5 Cable Tester Trai' La Trash Computer Support 0 01-14-2004 09:35 AM
Cable Modem : Stretch the cat5 or coax? Scott H Computer Support 6 08-06-2003 01:39 AM



Advertisments