Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Replacing MoBo, CPU and RAM on a WinXP Pro machine

Replacing MoBo, CPU and RAM on a WinXP Pro machine

Dany P. Wu

Hi everyone,

What's the deal with replacing the innards of an existing WinXP Pro system?
It's going from a PII to a PIII MoBo and associated bits but I'd like to
keep the two HDD and software installation on them.

I'm guessing XP will detect the changes automatically and adjust its
hardware layer? or am I being too hopeful? It would be much appreciated if
anyone can give me pointers to how I can go about this safely.

Many thanks,
Dany.

Patrick Dunford

says...
> Hi everyone,
>
> What's the deal with replacing the innards of an existing WinXP Pro system?
> It's going from a PII to a PIII MoBo and associated bits but I'd like to
> keep the two HDD and software installation on them.
>
> I'm guessing XP will detect the changes automatically and adjust its
> hardware layer? or am I being too hopeful? It would be much appreciated if
> anyone can give me pointers to how I can go about this safely.

No it is not guaranteed. You will need to boot the XP CD and run a repair
installation.

It is simply not possible to do this the same way you can get away with
in Windows 98 because of hardware abstraction layers etc.

Dany P. Wu

In news:(E-Mail Removed). nz,
Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> What's the deal with replacing the innards of an existing WinXP Pro
>> system? It's going from a PII to a PIII MoBo and associated bits but
>> I'd like to keep the two HDD and software installation on them.
>>
>> I'm guessing XP will detect the changes automatically and adjust its
>> hardware layer? or am I being too hopeful? It would be much
>> appreciated if anyone can give me pointers to how I can go about
>> this safely.

> No it is not guaranteed. You will need to boot the XP CD and run a
> repair installation.
>
> It is simply not possible to do this the same way you can get away
> with in Windows 98 because of hardware abstraction layers etc.

Thanks for that. Running a repair installation doesn't seem too bad, I can
deal with that. Is there anything else to be done?

The other question is, if the replacement MoBo and co is faulty in some way,
I take it I can just reinstall the original hardware, and perhaps do the
repair install again?

Cheers,
D.

Edmond Lo

If your MoBo have different hard disk controllers, XP will not boot on your
new MoBo. These is a way around it. Do a seach at Microsoft Technet and look
for ther words "moving hard drive".

"Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> What's the deal with replacing the innards of an existing WinXP Pro

system?
> It's going from a PII to a PIII MoBo and associated bits but I'd like to
> keep the two HDD and software installation on them.
>
> I'm guessing XP will detect the changes automatically and adjust its
> hardware layer? or am I being too hopeful? It would be much appreciated if
> anyone can give me pointers to how I can go about this safely.
>
> Many thanks,
> Dany.

says...
> Hi everyone,
>
> What's the deal with replacing the innards of an existing WinXP Pro system?
> It's going from a PII to a PIII MoBo and associated bits but I'd like to
> keep the two HDD and software installation on them.
>
> I'm guessing XP will detect the changes automatically and adjust its
> hardware layer? or am I being too hopeful? It would be much appreciated if
> anyone can give me pointers to how I can go about this safely.
>
> Many thanks,
> Dany.

I'd imagine that there would no problems. Can't help to do a backup
with something like Ghost first though.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Edmond Lo wrote:
> If your MoBo have different hard disk controllers, XP will not boot on your
> new MoBo. These is a way around it. Do a seach at Microsoft Technet and look
> for ther words "moving hard drive".

Thats not strictly true... I moved my machine from a dual Athlon
mobo(AMD chipset) to a Single CPU mobo(Via chipset) and it all worked fine.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz