Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > noel leemings and "new" laptops.

noel leemings and "new" laptops.

cowboyz

I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my Dad. We
looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit his needs. I
won't mention the model cause I don't want to get "this model would have
played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the machine is going to suit the
needs of my Dad fine. No problems at all with the specs or performance.

The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5% off for
some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and got a machine from
the back room and told me it was a return. I asked to look at it cause I
don't like buying others gear (especially at new price) and it had 3
scratches across the front outside cover. I told the salesman that it was
unacceptable and he said the only one left was the one on the showroom floor
so I said I'll look at that. That one was fine. No visable damage so we
accepted that one. Took it home and set it up to fine out someone had
already setup their files and internet connection. So this is a return as
well.

Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid a fair
price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.

Comments?

~misfit~

cowboyz wrote:
> I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my
> Dad. We looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit
> his needs. I won't mention the model cause I don't want to get "this
> model would have played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the machine
> is going to suit the needs of my Dad fine. No problems at all with
> the specs or performance.
>
> The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5% off
> for some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and got a
> machine from the back room and told me it was a return. I asked to
> look at it cause I don't like buying others gear (especially at new
> price) and it had 3 scratches across the front outside cover. I told
> the salesman that it was unacceptable and he said the only one left
> was the one on the showroom floor so I said I'll look at that. That
> one was fine. No visable damage so we accepted that one. Took it
> home and set it up to fine out someone had already setup their files
> and internet connection. So this is a return as well.
>
> Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid
> a fair price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
> My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.
>
> Comments?

Who do you need to be on-side with more, your Dad or your Wife?

Seriously, it'd be nice to get a discount, always is. However, if you've had
it set up it's hard to prove it was already 'tinkered' with and the chances
are you wouldn't get a discount anyway, they'd take it back and get you
another one someday. (With no guarantee that *it* isn't a return as well).
--
~misfit~

Daniel

I think your wife is right.

Did you check for dead pixels?

Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you paid for it
was, and what the specs were? (always interested to know what the market is
doing)

Thanks.

cowboyz wrote:
> I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my Dad. We
> looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit his needs. I
> won't mention the model cause I don't want to get "this model would have
> played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the machine is going to suit the
> needs of my Dad fine. No problems at all with the specs or performance.
>
> The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5% off for
> some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and got a machine from
> the back room and told me it was a return. I asked to look at it cause I
> don't like buying others gear (especially at new price) and it had 3
> scratches across the front outside cover. I told the salesman that it was
> unacceptable and he said the only one left was the one on the showroom floor
> so I said I'll look at that. That one was fine. No visable damage so we
> accepted that one. Took it home and set it up to fine out someone had
> already setup their files and internet connection. So this is a return as
> well.
>
> Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid a fair
> price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
> My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.
>
> Comments?

cowboyz

Daniel wrote:
> I think your wife is right.

So does she. Not only in this instance either.

> Did you check for dead pixels?

The first thing I checked and no it doesn't have any. Screen is excellent.

> Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you
> paid for it was, and what the specs were? (always interested to know
> what the market is doing)

ok, but you have to promise not to mention any 3d games..

It is a
NEC I forget the model already
P4 2.4
256Meg ram
intel gfx
6USB
smartcard reader
DVD/CDRW combo drive
15'' screen
firewire
10/100 nic
56k modem
Svideo out
CRT monitor out

I paid $1709.99

It is a "nice" machine. Not good for me as I do like gaming but perfect
for my Dad who spends 4 nights a week away from home for work and wanted a
machine to play links 2003 on and maybe watch some hired DVD movies.

> Thanks.

David Preece

cowboyz wrote:
> My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.

I think you should take it back and demand someone eats it.

Being more realistic, returning it (along with all the bits) and asking
nicely for your money back is probably a better way to go. It's a laptop
and it's been on display at a shop. At very least you'll be a few
hundred hours down on the life expectancy of the backlight. At worst
it's had an encounter with someone's fizzy drink that's gone un-noticed.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave Taylor

David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:7evDc.5025
$(E-Mail Removed):

> At worst
> it's had an encounter with someone's fizzy drink that's gone un-noticed.

or a nasty trojan... Why didn't the shop re-image it?
Ciao, Dave

John

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cblu3r$k69$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > cowboyz wrote:
> >> I went into Noel leemings this morning and brought a laptop for my
> >> Dad. We looked at a couple and decided on one that seemed to suit
> >> his needs. I won't mention the model cause I don't want to get
> >> "this model would have played Far Cry and Doom III better" when the
> >> machine is going to suit the needs of my Dad fine. No problems at
> >> all with the specs or performance.
> >>
> >> The thing is. After I gave the salesman my cheque (which I got 5%
> >> off for some promotion on the net/email that Dad had) he went and
> >> got a machine from the back room and told me it was a return. I
> >> asked to look at it cause I don't like buying others gear
> >> (especially at new price) and it had 3 scratches across the front
> >> outside cover. I told the salesman that it was unacceptable and he
> >> said the only one left was the one on the showroom floor so I said
> >> I'll look at that. That one was fine. No visable damage so we
> >> accepted that one. Took it home and set it up to fine out someone
> >> had already setup their files and internet connection. So this is a
> >> return as well.
> >>
> >> Personally I think we got a laptop that is in new condition and paid
> >> a fair price for it. It works and Dad is happy so no problem.
> >> My wife thinks that I should take it back and demand a discount.
> >>
> >> Comments?

> Daniel wrote:
> > I think your wife is right.

> So does she. Not only in this instance either.
>

> > Did you check for dead pixels?

> The first thing I checked and no it doesn't have any. Screen is

excellent.

> > Just out of curiousity, do you mind telling us what the price you
> > paid for it was, and what the specs were? (always interested to know
> > what the market is doing)

> ok, but you have to promise not to mention any 3d games..
>
> It is a
> NEC I forget the model already
> P4 2.4
> 256Meg ram
> intel gfx
> 6USB
> smartcard reader
> DVD/CDRW combo drive
> 15'' screen
> firewire
> 10/100 nic
> 56k modem
> Svideo out
> CRT monitor out
>
> I paid $1709.99
>
> It is a "nice" machine. Not good for me as I do like gaming but perfect
> for my Dad who spends 4 nights a week away from home for work and wanted a
> machine to play links 2003 on and maybe watch some hired DVD movies.
> >
> > Thanks.

Thats not a bad price. My experience with Noel Lemmings, is that they
usually have to get what you want in anyway, as their store stock is ratehr
limited. Especially with Sony products, they have to order it in, although
with Sony it can take a number of weeks to come in, as they say sony are
very slack.
You should get the discount anyway, even if they don't have a new one in
stock, they will order it in, as long as you pay for it now.
I am sure if you take it back, they will order in a brand new one for you
(unless it is the end of a line).

Matthew Poole

In article <cbn9ci$t49$(E-Mail Removed)>, "K T T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Be careful of those extended warranties they try to sell you with the Noel
>Leeming stuff.
>
>Not worth the paper they are written on.

Y'reckon? I had half the keyboard fail on my laptop, and they honoured
the extended warranty without a blink. I was damn glad I had it, too,
since Compaq parts are horrendously expensive.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

K T T

K T T wrote:
> Be careful of those extended warranties they try to sell you with the Noel
> Leeming stuff.
>
> Not worth the paper they are written on.

Yeah, I know.