Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > More Intel foulups

More Intel foulups

David Preece

Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
affecting the prescott P4.

http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823

Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.

Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
in a furious spasm of crapmarking?

Stay tuned, or have something better to do.

Dave

~misfit~

David Preece wrote:

> Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
> affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
> affecting the prescott P4.
>
> http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
>
> Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
>
> Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
> be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
> in a furious spasm of crapmarking?
>
> Stay tuned, or have something better to do.
>
> Dave

Huh? AMD is already regarded as the quality brand.

whoisthis

In article <kmpDc.4756$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
> affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
> affecting the prescott P4.
>
> http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
>
> Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
>
> Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
> be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
> in a furious spasm of crapmarking?
>
> Stay tuned, or have something better to do.
>
> Dave

Intell have had chip problems for donkeys ages....the 486, pentium etc
all has issues, some could barely add let alone multiply 2 numbers. So I
dont think their reputation is at stake.

theseus

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <kmpDc.4756$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
> > affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
> > affecting the prescott P4.
> >
> > http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
> >
> > Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
> >
> > Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
> > be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
> > in a furious spasm of crapmarking?
> >
> > Stay tuned, or have something better to do.
> >
> > Dave

> Intell have had chip problems for donkeys ages....the 486, pentium etc
> all has issues, some could barely add let alone multiply 2 numbers. So I
> dont think their reputation is at stake.

The Mac community must be proud to have you as their own version of "Divine"

whoisthis

In article <iFrDc.4979$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"theseus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Intell have had chip problems for donkeys ages....the 486, pentium etc
> > all has issues, some could barely add let alone multiply 2 numbers. So I
> > dont think their reputation is at stake.

> The Mac community must be proud to have you as their own version of "Divine"

Um...where was the pro Mac stance, it was even anti-pc, its just a fact,
intel have repeatedly had problems with its chip design.

Daniel

> David Preece wrote:
>
>> Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
>> affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
>> affecting the prescott P4.
>>
>> http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
>>
>> Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
>>
>> Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
>> be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
>> in a furious spasm of crapmarking?
>>
>> Stay tuned, or have something better to do.
>>
>> Dave

> Huh? AMD is already regarded as the quality brand.

Yea, i thought they were too???? arnt they?

Daniel

AD.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:47:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Huh? AMD is already regarded as the quality brand.

Only amongst enthusiasts.

In the world of corporate buyers, the average view of AMD is closer to
Wogers misinformed FUD. Sad but true.

They will spout 'compatibility' as an issue, when they don't realise how
many incompatibilities Intel has within it's lineup, and how much updated
compilers and operating systems shield them from that.

The more informed ones will talk about issues with third party chipset (eg
VIA), but forget that over the years Intel has had just as many chipsets
go badly (eg i820) as turn out well (eg BX).

I am hoping though that the Opteron is the product that finally breaks
through all the Intel Inside *******s. Hopefully AMD doesn't have to wait
for Dell to make that happen.

Cheers
Anton

Patrick Dunford

In article <kmpDc.4756$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
> affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
> affecting the prescott P4.
>
> http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
>
> Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
>
> Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
> be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
> in a furious spasm of crapmarking?

What else is new - we've seen it ALL before.

Original Celeron CPU, Rambus, 810/820 chipset, yadda yadda yadda

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)mer
says...
> In article <iFrDc.4979$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "theseus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > > Intell have had chip problems for donkeys ages....the 486, pentium etc
> > > all has issues, some could barely add let alone multiply 2 numbers. So I
> > > dont think their reputation is at stake.

> > The Mac community must be proud to have you as their own version of "Divine"
> >

> Um...where was the pro Mac stance, it was even anti-pc, its just a fact,
> intel have repeatedly had problems with its chip design.

Not to the degree you claim, just a few minor problems here and there

Divine

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:10:52 +1200, AD. wrote:

> I am hoping though that the Opteron is the product that finally breaks
> through all the Intel Inside *******s. Hopefully AMD doesn't have to wait
> for Dell to make that happen.

The AMD64 is a lovely chip. you should see the speed at which it can
compile!!

Divine

--
"Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult