Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows XP, Multiple CD writers, Pile of crap.

Windows XP, Multiple CD writers, Pile of crap.

David Preece

So we have to do a short run of duplicating CD's. Not a lot, 30, but
enough to be a pain in the arse. I have an 8x burner and I've done a few
when I remember I have an identical one sitting on my desk at work and
Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously. So I whizz into work,
pick it up, come back and plug it in.

I've put it on the same cable as the other drive, one is jumpered to
master, the other to slave. I start the machine up and the bios sees
both drives. Sweet.

Windows, on the other hand, has no idea WTF I'm talking about and
complains something about drivers. Not noisily, mind you, doing that
windows failing sliently in the background to give the impression it's
stable thing. Hardware management is also reasonably well hidden under
XP, as it turns out.

So, no, I haven't got it working. And I am back to using a single burner.

Look, it's like this: I am *trying* to not be a Microsoft hater, but
every time I get close something stupid happens. Whether it finds a new
way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
even tolerating it.

Anyway, so I need to make a decision on what to do about this ... thing,
this situation where 90% of the desktop market has a steaming pile of
elephant crap installed instead of an operating system. You need to be
able to support it, you do (I write communications software), but within
this framework I to do what I can to help the rest of the world move in
the right direction. It boils down to two things:

* Never EVER install Windows as a server. For gods' sake, a halfway good
complete Debian box costs less than Windows licensing costs alone. If I
need something more feature rich - a bulletproof and supported streaming
media server comes to mind - I'm off to the shops for an XServe.

* Produce OSX software as well as Win32. _BUT_ put the cool features
into OSX first and make it damn clear that the OSX version of the
software will ALWAYS be cooler than the Win32 version. Always.

* As a consequence of this tell the armada of people that for some
reason keep asking me what kind of computer they should buy to get an
Apple. Get an eMac, more specifically.

And you know what, I know it's a drop in the bucket. I know I'm one guy,
in one town, in New ****ing Zealand and that none of this will make a
measurable difference to Microsoft's bottom line. But there are hundreds
of thousands of people in the same boat and if we all start to do
something about it we might see Steve Ballmer stopping going
"Developers! Developers! Developers!" and instead jumping up and down
shouting "Please! Stop! Making! Us! Look! Stupid!".

Rant over. No doubt I'll calm down soon.

Dave

Alan Howard

> this framework I to do what I can to help the rest of the world move in
> the right direction.

If all you're doing is spitting venomous nonsense in a New Zealand newsgroup
then you're not doing much to help at all. Windows is a good O/S for the
majority of users. If you want to see things improve then take a more active
role in the MS development community. There must be something more
productive you can do.

Alan

"David Preece" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_OoDc.4753$(E-Mail Removed)...
> So we have to do a short run of duplicating CD's. Not a lot, 30, but
> enough to be a pain in the arse. I have an 8x burner and I've done a few
> when I remember I have an identical one sitting on my desk at work and
> Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously. So I whizz into work,
> pick it up, come back and plug it in.
>
> I've put it on the same cable as the other drive, one is jumpered to
> master, the other to slave. I start the machine up and the bios sees
> both drives. Sweet.
>
> Windows, on the other hand, has no idea WTF I'm talking about and
> complains something about drivers. Not noisily, mind you, doing that
> windows failing sliently in the background to give the impression it's
> stable thing. Hardware management is also reasonably well hidden under
> XP, as it turns out.
>
> So, no, I haven't got it working. And I am back to using a single burner.
>
> Look, it's like this: I am *trying* to not be a Microsoft hater, but
> every time I get close something stupid happens. Whether it finds a new
> way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
> wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
> it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
> even tolerating it.
>
> Anyway, so I need to make a decision on what to do about this ... thing,
> this situation where 90% of the desktop market has a steaming pile of
> elephant crap installed instead of an operating system. You need to be
> able to support it, you do (I write communications software), but within
> this framework I to do what I can to help the rest of the world move in
> the right direction. It boils down to two things:
>
> * Never EVER install Windows as a server. For gods' sake, a halfway good
> complete Debian box costs less than Windows licensing costs alone. If I
> need something more feature rich - a bulletproof and supported streaming
> media server comes to mind - I'm off to the shops for an XServe.
>
> * Produce OSX software as well as Win32. _BUT_ put the cool features
> into OSX first and make it damn clear that the OSX version of the
> software will ALWAYS be cooler than the Win32 version. Always.
>
> * As a consequence of this tell the armada of people that for some
> reason keep asking me what kind of computer they should buy to get an
> Apple. Get an eMac, more specifically.
>
> And you know what, I know it's a drop in the bucket. I know I'm one guy,
> in one town, in New ****ing Zealand and that none of this will make a
> measurable difference to Microsoft's bottom line. But there are hundreds
> of thousands of people in the same boat and if we all start to do
> something about it we might see Steve Ballmer stopping going
> "Developers! Developers! Developers!" and instead jumping up and down
> shouting "Please! Stop! Making! Us! Look! Stupid!".
>
> Rant over. No doubt I'll calm down soon.
>
> Dave

colinco

In article <_OoDc.4753$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously.

So you paid for a retail Nero? Rant at Ahead maybe.

Gordon

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:24:39 +1200, Alan Howard wrote:

> If all you're doing is spitting venomous nonsense in a New Zealand newsgroup
> then you're not doing much to help at all.

Trouble is it is agreat deal of truth in there, albeit wrapped up in a
rave.

> Windows is a good O/S for the
> majority of users.

So are other ones.

> If you want to see things improve then take a more active
> role in the MS development community.

This implies that one/he thinks this project/OS is worthy his time.
Which seems doubtful given the rave.

A point to ponder, if there equal users using MS windows, Linux, Mac, etc
any virus would soon die as it would arrive in a non life support
environment. So the pay back for the writers would be less, would they
bother?

Nature shows us that diverification is a great way to battle viruses.

In article <_OoDc.4753$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> So we have to do a short run of duplicating CD's. Not a lot, 30, but
> enough to be a pain in the arse. I have an 8x burner and I've done a few
> when I remember I have an identical one sitting on my desk at work and
> Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously. So I whizz into work,
> pick it up, come back and plug it in.
>
> I've put it on the same cable as the other drive, one is jumpered to
> master, the other to slave. I start the machine up and the bios sees
> both drives. Sweet.

Well good for you.

> Windows, on the other hand, has no idea WTF I'm talking about and
> complains something about drivers. Not noisily, mind you, doing that
> windows failing sliently in the background to give the impression it's
> stable thing. Hardware management is also reasonably well hidden under
> XP, as it turns out.

I have no idea what you are on about. The phrase "complains something
about drivers" indicates that you don't want to know either. If you
wern't so mysterious about the actaul error then maybe people could help
you, although I realise this is actually a rant.

> So, no, I haven't got it working. And I am back to using a single burner.
>
> Look, it's like this: I am *trying* to not be a Microsoft hater, but
> every time I get close something stupid happens. Whether it finds a new
> way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
> wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
> it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
> even tolerating it.

Well you need to learn about network security.. You shouldn't need to
like an OS, it should be largely transparent to the user. The apps are
more important.

> Anyway, so I need to make a decision on what to do about this ... thing,
> this situation where 90% of the desktop market has a steaming pile of
> elephant crap installed instead of an operating system. You need to be
> able to support it, you do (I write communications software), but within
> this framework I to do what I can to help the rest of the world move in
> the right direction. It boils down to two things:
>
> * Never EVER install Windows as a server. For gods' sake, a halfway good
> complete Debian box costs less than Windows licensing costs alone. If I
> need something more feature rich - a bulletproof and supported streaming
> media server comes to mind - I'm off to the shops for an XServe.

Sounds fair enough. Windows Servers are too insecure.

> * Produce OSX software as well as Win32. _BUT_ put the cool features
> into OSX first and make it damn clear that the OSX version of the
> software will ALWAYS be cooler than the Win32 version. Always.

Alas, it seems that most OS X software lacks features compared to the
Windows version. They do seem to be cooler to use though.

> * As a consequence of this tell the armada of people that for some
> reason keep asking me what kind of computer they should buy to get an
> Apple. Get an eMac, more specifically.

Yeah, but what happens is that they will probably wnat to try and use
Windows software at some point. Also, eMacs are a pain in the arse to
repair when the warranty runs out and they aren't fast anymore.

> And you know what, I know it's a drop in the bucket. I know I'm one guy,
> in one town, in New ****ing Zealand and that none of this will make a
> measurable difference to Microsoft's bottom line. But there are hundreds
> of thousands of people in the same boat and if we all start to do
> something about it we might see Steve Ballmer stopping going
> "Developers! Developers! Developers!" and instead jumping up and down
> shouting "Please! Stop! Making! Us! Look! Stupid!".

There are quite a few people who see through the MS FUD already. That
video is a crack up.

> Rant over. No doubt I'll calm down soon.

Take your happy pills.
> Dave

David Preece

colinco wrote:
>>Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously.
>>

> So you paid for a retail Nero? Rant at Ahead maybe.

Not Nero's problem. The drives don't show up in either the explorer or
the hardware wotsit.

Dave

David Preece

Alan Howard wrote:
> If all you're doing is spitting venomous nonsense

Which bit was nonsense?

> If you want to see things improve then take a more active
> role in the MS development community.

A more active role? Have you not been paying attention?

I was going to elaborate but then....

> There must be something more
> productive you can do.

You're right, there is.

Bye.

Dave

David Preece

a wrote:
>>Windows, on the other hand, has no idea WTF I'm talking about and
>>complains something about drivers.

> I have no idea what you are on about. The phrase "complains something
> about drivers" indicates that you don't want to know either.

Well, a near perfect illustration of a windows badness in one fell
swoop. Could I copy paste the error message into google to see what's
wrong? Nope. I am reduced to going back to the machine to see what it
was that it was complaining about.

Here we are. It was the "device manager" and it used to say something
about the driver. Can't remember what and I'm not about to go through
all the re-attaching hassle just to find out.

> If you
> wern't so mysterious about the actaul error then maybe people could help
> you, although I realise this is actually a rant.

I had given up by then. I did the math and realised that messing about
trying to get the drive working simply wasn't worth it in terms of time
saved. Besides, I had some spare time while I was waiting for the disks
to burn eh?

>>Whether it finds a new
>>way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
>>wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
>>it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
>>even tolerating it.
>>

> Well you need to learn about network security..

Actually what I needed to learn about was computer rental companies. We
had rented these two laptops the preceeding day for some testing that
needed doing at an absurd time in the morning. I.e. 4am. I, naievely,
had assumed they would rent me a patched and generally fixed up Windows
box. Not so, hence blaster leaping across and preventing me from working.

But not all the things I hate about Windows are to do with network
security. And the real killer is that I can't remember what I hate about
Windows until I trip across it again.

> You shouldn't need to
> like an OS, it should be largely transparent to the user.

I'll agree with that. Unfortunately it appears to have stood between my
bios and Nero and had a significantly none transparent effect. If
there's something wrong I want to know what, so I can go fix it.

>>* Produce OSX software as well as Win32. _BUT_ put the cool features
>>into OSX first and make it damn clear that the OSX version of the
>>software will ALWAYS be cooler than the Win32 version. Always.
>>

> Alas, it seems that most OS X software lacks features compared to the
> Windows version. They do seem to be cooler to use though.

This is true, and I think I need to be careful to stay within the
cultural expectations of the two usergroups. OSX software tends to be
feature light compared to Win32 software, but easier to use. It can be a
bit of a PITA when you need something feature heavy but don't feel like
parting with $1000.

Still. That's what Unix is for, eh?

> Yeah, but what happens is that they will probably wnat to try and use
> Windows software at some point.

I know. Once I'm done ranting I do realise that actually the first step
is to find the software you need to run before buying a machine.

> Also, eMacs are a pain in the arse to
> repair when the warranty runs out and they aren't fast anymore.

Hmmm. The hope is that they don't need repairing. And they weren't fast
to start with

> Take your happy pills.

Sadly illegal, but the intention is right.

Cheers,
Dave

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:47:44 +1200, David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>So we have to do a short run of duplicating CD's. Not a lot, 30, but
>enough to be a pain in the arse. I have an 8x burner and I've done a few
>when I remember I have an identical one sitting on my desk at work and
>Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously. So I whizz into work,
>pick it up, come back and plug it in.

>Rant over. No doubt I'll calm down soon.
>
>Dave

Did you disable the built in XP burning software..?

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:45:40 +1200, David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>colinco wrote:
>>>Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously.
>>>

>> So you paid for a retail Nero? Rant at Ahead maybe.

>Not Nero's problem. The drives don't show up in either the explorer or
>the hardware wotsit.
>
>Dave

Mine all do..?