Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recon ol Bills gettin worried ?

Recon ol Bills gettin worried ?

Nick

The frogs are going linux

http://www.vnunet.com/news/1156183

Peter

Nick wrote:
> The frogs are going linux
> http://www.vnunet.com/news/1156183

No - Bill's not worried.
They'll just set up patent law so that those upstart newcomers are shut out.
The current debate is over the EU legislation, but it is in a worldwide
context.
A recent study by Aust parliamentary services concluded that the US - Aust
"free trade" agreement will actually inhibit innovation in Aust companies.
(Research paper No 14 2003-04)

MS can't protect their monopoly by producing superior products, because the
really great new ideas tend to come from the very small newcomers - like
Apple in the 1970s and Google in the 1990s. MS can't afford to let that
sort of thing continue, and patents are one way of shutting them out
through prohibitive litigation.

Peter

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> MS can't protect their monopoly by producing superior products, because the
> really great new ideas tend to come from the very small newcomers - like
> Apple in the 1970s and Google in the 1990s. MS can't afford to let that
> sort of thing continue, and patents are one way of shutting them out
> through prohibitive litigation.

PC companies inovative...ROTFLMAO, and M$ is no better. Apple has more
than twice as many patents as M$ and more patents than ALL of the PC
makers put together. Even then I would question the MS patents...how
many inovations did they come up with VS how many did they simply
take/buy/bully/bankrupt.

Peter

whoisthis wrote:
> Even then I would question the MS patents...how
> many inovations did they come up with VS how many did they simply
> take/buy/bully/bankrupt.

Hey - be fair - MS has come up with some innovations. For example, they
invented clippy, the paper clip that interrupts whenever you want to do
something in Office.
Lots more on this here ...
http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

Overall though, MS is bereft of innovation. For example, consider the
browser; IE would have to be the most basic, useless browser around. No
tabbed browsing, no popup blocking. Just about all the modern browsers
(Mozilla, Opera, Konqueror, Galeon, etc) have these features, but not IE.
(Maybe MS will copy these into IE in a few years, and people will claim it
as MS innovation.)

Peter

Divine

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:01:25 +1200, Peter wrote:

> (Maybe MS will copy these into IE in a few years, and people will claim
> it as MS innovation.)

People probably WILL think it is Micro$oft innovation - because they've
not known anything else other than Micro$oft software.

Divine

--
"A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

Patrick Dunford

> Nick wrote:
> > The frogs are going linux
> > http://www.vnunet.com/news/1156183

> No - Bill's not worried.
> They'll just set up patent law so that those upstart newcomers are shut out.
> The current debate is over the EU legislation, but it is in a worldwide
> context.
> A recent study by Aust parliamentary services concluded that the US - Aust
> "free trade" agreement will actually inhibit innovation in Aust companies.
> (Research paper No 14 2003-04)
>
> MS can't protect their monopoly by producing superior products, because the
> really great new ideas tend to come from the very small newcomers - like
> Apple in the 1970s and Google in the 1990s.

So the IBM PC was not a great idea? LOL

AD.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:31:22 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

>> MS can't protect their monopoly by producing superior products, because
>> the really great new ideas tend to come from the very small newcomers -
>> like Apple in the 1970s and Google in the 1990s.

> So the IBM PC was not a great idea? LOL

It wasn't a great NEW idea. Personal computers already existed.

Cheers
Anton

J.Random Luser

Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> asked:

> So the IBM PC was not a great idea? LOL

It was not a great idea for IBM.
IBM's release of the clones could be described as
an Open Hardware initiative.

Steven H

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:01:25 +1200, Peter wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
>> Even then I would question the MS patents...how
>> many inovations did they come up with VS how many did they simply
>> take/buy/bully/bankrupt.

> Hey - be fair - MS has come up with some innovations. For example, they
> invented clippy, the paper clip that interrupts whenever you want to do
> something in Office.
> Lots more on this here ...
> http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

lol - what a steeming pile of CRAP, just my osvho of course.

i found http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/nt/ to be funny as hell,
notice nobody has added any "anti-ms-FUD" since the late 90's - worth a
laugh tho.

Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic
..net Geek