Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mozilla / Thunderbird

Mozilla / Thunderbird

Patrick Dunford

It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.

Gordon

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:36:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

> It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.

Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days.

Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

~misfit~

Gordon wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:36:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
>
>> It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.

> Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days.
>
> Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can have a
play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?

'Scuse my ignorance. I run Windows.
--
~misfit~

steve

~misfit~ wrote:

> Gordon wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:36:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.

>> Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days.
>>
>> Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

> Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can have a
> play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?
>
> 'Scuse my ignorance. I run Windows.
> --
> ~misfit~

Mozilla is Browser and mail and newsreader and HTML composer and a few other
things.

Firefox is browser - supposedly next-generation Mozilla.

Thunderbird is mail and news reader

You can use all three as it suits....but I now use Firefox 0.9 as my
browser...and Evolution for mail and Knode for newsreading.

Firefox 0.9 is reasonably light, fast and has some nice features.

~misfit~

steve wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Gordon wrote:

>>> Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days.
>>>
>>> Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

>> Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can
>> have a play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?
>>
>> 'Scuse my ignorance. I run Windows.
>> --
>> ~misfit~

> Mozilla is Browser and mail and newsreader and HTML composer and a
> few other things.

Including IM I notice, although I haven't been able to connect. As an
experiment, I don't IM.

> Firefox is browser - supposedly next-generation Mozilla.
>
> Thunderbird is mail and news reader
>
> You can use all three as it suits....but I now use Firefox 0.9 as my
> browser...and Evolution for mail and Knode for newsreading.
>
> Firefox 0.9 is reasonably light, fast and has some nice features.

Thank you kind Sir.
--
~misfit~

Patrick Dunford

In article <3BuDc.4455$(E-Mail Removed)>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
mung.co.nz says...
> Gordon wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:36:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
> >
> >> It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.

> > Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days.
> >
> > Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

> Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can have a
> play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?

FF is supposedly a lightweight version of Mozilla. It doesn't have as
many options or extensions available. The only thing I like about FF over
Mozilla is the configuration UI.

Patrick Dunford

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > Gordon wrote:

> >> Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days.
> >>
> >> Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

> > Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can have a
> > play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?
> >
> > 'Scuse my ignorance. I run Windows.
> > --
> > ~misfit~

> Mozilla is Browser and mail and newsreader and HTML composer and a few other
> things.

But you can choose not to install all of them.

> Firefox is browser - supposedly next-generation Mozilla.

Supposedly. But not everyone in the Mozilla Project agrees with the idea.

Murray Symon

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:30:30 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <3BuDc.4455$(E-Mail Removed)>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
> mung.co.nz says...

[ snip ]

> FF is supposedly a lightweight version of Mozilla. It doesn't have as many
> options or extensions available. The only thing I like about FF over
> Mozilla is the configuration UI.

Not _truly_ lightweight (as in Lynx or Dillo) - just Mozilla with the
Email and other bits left out - it is still built from XUL.
I have still found it is slow if you build in anti-aliased fonts
and run it on an old PC (eg: my K6/2). After spending ages doing
that, I reverted to --disable-xft to get back the snappy response.
I do agree with Patrick about the nicer config UI.