Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HP and Compaq - is one better than other?

HP and Compaq - is one better than other?

Aaron Zarlos

I know that Hewlett Packard (HP) now own Compaq, but generally which of HP
Pavillion or Compaq Presario is better? Anyone have any bad experience
stories to share, hints, etc?

Thanks.
Aaron

Daniel

Hi Aaron,

Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP specifically?
(i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)

> I know that Hewlett Packard (HP) now own Compaq, but generally which of HP
> Pavillion or Compaq Presario is better? Anyone have any bad experience
> stories to share, hints, etc?
>
> Thanks.
> Aaron

Patrick Dunford

Daniel wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP
> specifically?
> (i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
>
>> I know that Hewlett Packard (HP) now own Compaq, but generally which
>> of HP
>> Pavillion or Compaq Presario is better? Anyone have any bad experience
>> stories to share, hints, etc?

Compaq computers have nice well engineered cases that come apart easily
without tools. Yet to see anything as good in HP stuff.

Daniel

Aaron Zarlos wrote:
> I know that Hewlett Packard (HP) now own Compaq, but generally which of HP
> Pavillion or Compaq Presario is better? Anyone have any bad experience
> stories to share, hints, etc?
>
> Thanks.
> Aaron

One thing that annoys me about both is the 5GB of disk space used for the restore
partition (last I checked), and the amount of spyware one gets out-of-the-box.

Also, last time I checked, depending on the retailer, if you open the box, then
you void the warranty.

Daniel

Daniel wrote:

> Aaron Zarlos wrote:
>
>> I know that Hewlett Packard (HP) now own Compaq, but generally which
>> of HP
>> Pavillion or Compaq Presario is better? Anyone have any bad experience
>> stories to share, hints, etc?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Aaron
>>

> One thing that annoys me about both is the 5GB of disk space used for
> the restore
> partition (last I checked), and the amount of spyware one gets
> out-of-the-box.
>
> Also, last time I checked, depending on the retailer, if you open the
> box, then
> you void the warranty.

Clarification - I meant when you open the PC Case, for things like memory,
graphics, and drive installs.

Aaron Zarlos

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gZ2Dc.4545$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Aaron,
>
> Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

specifically?
> (i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)

Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
(or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

Patrick Dunford

Aaron Zarlos wrote:

> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gZ2Dc.4545$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi Aaron,
>>
>>Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

> specifically?
>
>>(i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
>>

> Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
> (or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
> Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
> still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
> seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

Both HP and Compaq and probably Dell yada yada are real pain in the ass
stuff to find the drivers for. They tend to use obscure hardware that
Windows doesn't detect and that you have to get drivers for, especially
older computers.

Invisible

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:18:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Aaron Zarlos wrote:
>
>> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gZ2Dc.4545$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Hi Aaron,
>>>
>>>Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

>> specifically?
>>
>>>(i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
>>>

>> Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
>> (or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
>> Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
>> still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
>> seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

>Both HP and Compaq and probably Dell yada yada are real pain in the ass
>stuff to find the drivers for. They tend to use obscure hardware that
>Windows doesn't detect and that you have to get drivers for, especially
>older computers.

Either that, or they bundle every friggen OS driver into 1 zip file. A 20MB
download for a Compaq nic? After a bit of searching I managed to find a 600k 98
driver, which is all I wanted in the first place. Crazy.

Gib Bogle

Aaron Zarlos wrote:

> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gZ2Dc.4545$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi Aaron,
>>
>>Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

> specifically?
>
>>(i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
>>

> Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
> (or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
> Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
> still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
> seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

What I would do (have done, several times) is go to a small local
computer shop and get a no-name box put together with good quality
parts, e.g. ASUS m/b, nVidia video card, Seagate drive. This way you
avoid all the nonstandard "features" of the name brands, which enable
them to ask higher prices. I see no reason to buy HP or Dell.

Gib

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:13:35 +1200, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Aaron Zarlos wrote:
>
>> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gZ2Dc.4545$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Hi Aaron,
>>>
>>>Out of curiousity any reason why you're looking at Compaq or HP

>> specifically?
>>
>>>(i.e. only models your local or preferred supplier stocks?)
>>>

>> Don't want to buy online (Dell), Packard Bell seem to have a bad reputation
>> (or am I wrong?), there isn't much left to choose from at retailers like
>> Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman. I've looked at some smaller local stores, am
>> still deciding, etc...I was just wondering how the two (HP/Compaq) compare
>> seeing they are both part of HP that's all.

>What I would do (have done, several times) is go to a small local
>computer shop and get a no-name box put together with good quality
>parts, e.g. ASUS m/b, nVidia video card, Seagate drive. This way you
>avoid all the nonstandard "features" of the name brands, which enable
>them to ask higher prices. I see no reason to buy HP or Dell.
>
>Gib

I fully Agree 200%