Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Getting rid of MyDocuments in XP

Getting rid of MyDocuments in XP

Joy

I've already run this
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders

You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If you
delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally under
the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone. '

But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs at
all.
Joy

Patrick Dunford

In article <40dc8bfc$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I've already run this
> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
>
> You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If you
> delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally under
> the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone. '
>
> But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs at
> all.
> Joy

Why not?

You can remove My Documents from your desktop. Far easier than hacking
the registry. But why not store your stuff in there?

steve

Joy wrote:

> I've already run this
> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
>
> You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If you
> delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally under
> the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone. '
>
> But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs at
> all.
> Joy

Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it exists -
delete it.

Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).

MarkH

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:40dc8bfc$(E-Mail Removed):

> I've already run this
> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \
> CurrentVersion \
> Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
>
> You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If
> you delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are
> normally under the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer")
> will be gone. '
>
> But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs
> at all.
> Joy

You can create any folder you like and link My Documents to it. You don’t
have to have My Documents on the desktop. You don’t have to have My
Documents on the start menu.

Are you saying that you don’t want a folder to exist somewhere that your
WinXP thinks of as ‘My Documents’?

In ‘My Computer’ there is a list of ‘Files Stored on This Computer’. If
this is what you want to remove then you can do that with Tweakui.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

theseus

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

\
> > Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
> >
> > You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If

you
> > delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally

under
> > the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone. '
> >
> > But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs at
> > all.
> > Joy

> Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it exists -
> delete it.
>

> Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).

JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT TO
LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

Brendan

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:10:09 +1200, theseus wrote:

> JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>
> GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT TO
> LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

what I have noticed is your self righteous net nannying. Give it a rest.

--

.... Brendan

The Internet is a disease vector for mental illness.
- Gordon Shumway

Note: All comments are copyright 26/06/2004 12:36:19 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Patrick Dunford

Brendan wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:10:09 +1200, theseus wrote:
>

>>JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS SS
>>
>>GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT TO
>>LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

> what I have noticed is your self righteous net nannying. Give it a rest.

PKB

steve

theseus wrote:

> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Joy wrote:
>>
>> > I've already run this
>> > 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \
>> > CurrentVersion

> \
>> > Explorer \ My Computer \ NameSpace \ DelegateFolders
>> >
>> > You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If

> you
>> > delete this, all of the Shared Documents folders (which are normally

> under
>> > the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone. '
>> >
>> > But the top group of my documents is still there. I don't want MyDocs
>> > at all.
>> > Joy

>> Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it exists
>> - delete it.
>>

>> Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).
>>

> JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>
> GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT TO
> LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

Joy asked for a solution to her problem.

My suggestion might not be the solution she was expecting...but it certainly
does addres the problem.

Unlike your post.

Have your blood pressure checked. You may be doing yourself an injury.

Divine

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:48:34 +1200, steve wrote:

> My suggestion might not be the solution she was expecting...but it certainly
> does addres the problem.

Agreed!

Installing and using a Linux distribution certainly does solve most if not
all problems caused by the use of Micro$oft software.

Divine

--
"What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."

theseus

steve wrote:

> theseus wrote:
>

>> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> \

>> you

>> under

>>> Then use Linux and don't create a directory with that name. If it exists
>>> - delete it.
>>>

>>> Linux is freedom.....Windows is slavery (and Zombies).
>>>

>> JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>> GIVE IT A REST YOU BORING BORING BORING ATTENTION SEEKING EMBARRASSMENT
>> TO LINUX USERS EVERYWHERE

> Joy asked for a solution to her problem.
>
> My suggestion might not be the solution she was expecting...but it
> certainly does addres the problem.
>
> Unlike your post.
>
> Have your blood pressure checked. You may be doing yourself an injury.

Have your brain checked, you clearly have no idea what a solution to her
problem is.
And it makes it really hard for Linux users like myself to coexist with
helpful Windows users on this newsgroup because of the flame noise your
ignorant outbursts ignite.