Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > unable to upload to a website

unable to upload to a website

carl

Im trying to fill out a form on a website but it always times out
when using my home computer.
I can browse to the website login and load the forms but no saving.
Every computer I have tried this on (using an internal adsl modem and
dial up) works except computers on my network.
Using a Dynalink RTA300 router/modem I have tried using IE and
mozilla.
I have used XP and win2k.
I have disabled the firewall.
I have checked security settings on the browser which apear fine but
Im at a loss as to why I cant upload to the site.

Unfortunatly the people who maintain the site no little about the
application
on the site or why it might not be accepting data and Iam unable to
give the
web address out on the newsgroup (security issues)

Does anybody have any idea what in my setup could be causing this??

AK

Collector_NZ

carl said the following on 24/06/2004 20:12:
> Im trying to fill out a form on a website but it always times out
> when using my home computer.
> I can browse to the website login and load the forms but no saving.
> Every computer I have tried this on (using an internal adsl modem and
> dial up) works except computers on my network.
> Using a Dynalink RTA300 router/modem I have tried using IE and
> mozilla.
> I have used XP and win2k.
> I have disabled the firewall.
> I have checked security settings on the browser which apear fine but
> Im at a loss as to why I cant upload to the site.
>
> Unfortunatly the people who maintain the site no little about the
> application
> on the site or why it might not be accepting data and Iam unable to
> give the
> web address out on the newsgroup (security issues)
>
> Does anybody have any idea what in my setup could be causing this??
>
> AK

Without being able to view the forms/source no answer forthcoming.

But please explain what you mean by times out. A form is static until a
submit operation.
Now if it is PHP driven your sesion could be expiring, usually a session
cookie is set by a php authorised form and it is either not getting
there or is too short.

carl

Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> carl said the following on 24/06/2004 20:12:
> > Im trying to fill out a form on a website but it always times out
> > when using my home computer.
> > I can browse to the website login and load the forms but no saving.
> > Every computer I have tried this on (using an internal adsl modem and
> > dial up) works except computers on my network.
> > Using a Dynalink RTA300 router/modem I have tried using IE and
> > mozilla.
> > I have used XP and win2k.
> > I have disabled the firewall.
> > I have checked security settings on the browser which apear fine but
> > Im at a loss as to why I cant upload to the site.
> >
> > Unfortunatly the people who maintain the site no little about the
> > application
> > on the site or why it might not be accepting data and Iam unable to
> > give the
> > web address out on the newsgroup (security issues)
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea what in my setup could be causing this??
> >
> > AK

> Without being able to view the forms/source no answer forthcoming.
>
> But please explain what you mean by times out. A form is static until a
> submit operation.
> Now if it is PHP driven your sesion could be expiring, usually a session
> cookie is set by a php authorised form and it is either not getting
> there or is too short.

the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
slowing
moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
displayed' message.
what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.

Thanks

EMB

In news:(E-Mail Removed) om,
carl <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:

> the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
> slowing
> moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
> displayed' message.
> what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
> before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
>
> Thanks

Yahoo and google's toolbar popup blockers can cause this behaviour - one of
my clients has a secretary who keeps downloading them and then can't log in
to a few sites.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Collector_NZ

carl said the following on 25/06/2004 15:29:
> Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>>carl said the following on 24/06/2004 20:12:
>>
>>>Im trying to fill out a form on a website but it always times out
>>>when using my home computer.
>>>I can browse to the website login and load the forms but no saving.
>>>Every computer I have tried this on (using an internal adsl modem and
>>>dial up) works except computers on my network.
>>>Using a Dynalink RTA300 router/modem I have tried using IE and
>>>mozilla.
>>>I have used XP and win2k.
>>>I have disabled the firewall.
>>>I have checked security settings on the browser which apear fine but
>>>Im at a loss as to why I cant upload to the site.
>>>
>>>Unfortunatly the people who maintain the site no little about the
>>>application
>>>on the site or why it might not be accepting data and Iam unable to
>>>give the
>>>web address out on the newsgroup (security issues)
>>>
>>>Does anybody have any idea what in my setup could be causing this??
>>>
>>>AK

>>Without being able to view the forms/source no answer forthcoming.
>>
>>But please explain what you mean by times out. A form is static until a
>>submit operation.
>>Now if it is PHP driven your sesion could be expiring, usually a session
>>cookie is set by a php authorised form and it is either not getting
>>there or is too short.

> the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
> slowing
> moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
> displayed' message.
> what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
> before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
>
> Thanks

Get the latest java release, sounds like a java driven form

carl

Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> carl said the following on 25/06/2004 15:29:
> > Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> >>Without being able to view the forms/source no answer forthcoming.
> >>
> >>But please explain what you mean by times out. A form is static until a
> >>submit operation.
> >>Now if it is PHP driven your sesion could be expiring, usually a session
> >>cookie is set by a php authorised form and it is either not getting
> >>there or is too short.

> > the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
> > slowing
> > moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
> > displayed' message.
> > what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
> > before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
> >
> > Thanks

> Get the latest java release, sounds like a java driven form

I dont think its a Java problem as IE5 and IE6 have no problems with
it
the only common thread I can find is that if Iam on a network
connected to the internet it wont work.
I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fool the web site into beliving
my computer is at the IP address of my router.

carl

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cbg7dp$ii1$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed) om,
> carl <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
>
> > the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
> > slowing
> > moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
> > displayed' message.
> > what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
> > before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
> >
> > Thanks

> Yahoo and google's toolbar popup blockers can cause this behaviour - one of
> my clients has a secretary who keeps downloading them and then can't log in
> to a few sites.

Hi
I dont have the google toolbar on IE and I use mozilla most of the
time so I dont think that is causing it, Thanks

Collector_NZ

carl said the following on 27/06/2004 21:41:

> Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>>carl said the following on 25/06/2004 15:29:

>>>the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
>>>slowing
>>>moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
>>>displayed' message.
>>>what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
>>>before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>Get the latest java release, sounds like a java driven form

> I dont think its a Java problem as IE5 and IE6 have no problems with
> it
> the only common thread I can find is that if Iam on a network
> connected to the internet it wont work.
> I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fool the web site into beliving
> my computer is at the IP address of my router.

That can be done, but is not a subject to publish in a public forum.

What sort of function does this form perform, data collection, authorisation or
what.
Are you able to access other areas of the site (I assume you need to pass
authentication to get into the site in the first place).

carl

Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> carl said the following on 27/06/2004 21:41:
>
> > Collector_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> >>Get the latest java release, sounds like a java driven form

> > I dont think its a Java problem as IE5 and IE6 have no problems with
> > it
> > the only common thread I can find is that if Iam on a network
> > connected to the internet it wont work.
> > I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fool the web site into beliving
> > my computer is at the IP address of my router.

> That can be done, but is not a subject to publish in a public forum.
>
> What sort of function does this form perform, data collection, authorisation or
> what.
> Are you able to access other areas of the site (I assume you need to pass
> authentication to get into the site in the first place).

Iam doing some research for a company and have to access a website and
upload some data and notes.
I can logg into the site and load forms and select options on the
forms but not 'save' data.
I can only guess its a security feature to stop people from logging
into the site without being identified by the site (IE if it queries
my IP it will get a different response than if my compter was
conected directly to the internet)

AD.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:41:12 -0700, carl wrote:

> I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fool the
> web site into beliving my computer is at the IP address of my router.

If your router is doing NAT (most likely), then the web site already
thinks your computer is at the IP address of your router.

Are you uploading files to it?

If you look at the action attribute of the html form - does it go to
another site or use a different protocol (eg https) etc.

Can you fill out forms on other sites?

Is there a proxy in the way somehow blocking POST data?

Is there Javascript or similar on the page that is sending your LAN
address to the server or similarly screwy things?

The fact it is timing out rather than giving an error makes me suspect it
is more likely to be a misconfiguration somewhere along the line rather
than by design.

You could try installing something like proxomitron or the live http
headers extension in Mozilla to see what is actually being sent up there.
That might give us some clues.

Cheers
Anton