Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux Gamers: WineX 4.0 "Cedega" is released

Linux Gamers: WineX 4.0 "Cedega" is released

Allistar

Jackson wrote:

> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=119
>>
>> TransGaming Unveils WineX 4.0 And Announces New Product Name: Cedega
>>
>> Issued on Tuesday June 22, 2004
>>
>> Toronto/Ottawa -- June 22, 2004 -- TransGaming today unveils the
>> milestone release of version 4.0 of its flagship product, WineX, which
>> has been renamed to Cedega. Cedega allows Windows games to seamlessly
>> and transparently run under Linux, out-of-the-box, with outstanding

> performance
>> and equivalent game-play.

> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something
> new? Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it
> as a desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still
> trying to copy the king.

The only desktop workstations I use both run Linux. And the amount of things
you can do in Linux that you can't in Windows is one of the reasons why I
make this choice.

Linux has made it as a desktop OS.

> Jackson.

Allistar.

Tim Buchanan

On 2004-06-22, Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something new?
> Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it as a
> desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still trying to
> copy the king.

Here at my home we have 2 computers, one running Windoze XP and one running
Debian Sarge. There are two reasons why we don't switch the Windoze box over
to Linux:
a) Half of the games don't work (my favourite being Flight Sim 2004)
b) the other people in the house who barely know how to operate Windoze
would be lost when it comes to Linux, and they don't even want to
learn.

Unfortunately, until both these conditions change, us poor Linux souls will
have to suffer with Redmond's worst for a while.

--
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tim Buchanan <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen to type:
>On 2004-06-22, Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something new?
>> Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it as a
>> desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still trying to
>> copy the king.

>Here at my home we have 2 computers, one running Windoze XP and one running
>Debian Sarge. There are two reasons why we don't switch the Windoze box over
>to Linux:
>a) Half of the games don't work (my favourite being Flight Sim 2004)
>b) the other people in the house who barely know how to operate Windoze
> would be lost when it comes to Linux, and they don't even want to
> learn.

You fix this by changin over an not telling em. They'll learn

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

(if there were any)

Divine

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 03:15:15 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> You fix this by changin over an not telling em. They'll learn

LOL - nice!

Divine

--
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge. Jerry Falwell only gargled."

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Jackson wrote:
>
>> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something
>> new?
>> Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it as a
>> desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still
>> trying to
>> copy the king.

Hey perhaps it would interest you to know that Wine (the non-gaming
oriented one) runs latest winzip around 5% faster emulated than it
runs natively under Windows...

> How many trolls does it take to upset nz.comp?

We don't get upset anymore....this kind of troll needs to grow some
'smarts' if he is to upset us...

--
Kind regards,

Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/

cobs

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Jackson wrote:
>>
>>> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do
>>> something new?
>>> Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it
>>> as a
>>> desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still
>>> trying to
>>> copy the king.

> Hey perhaps it would interest you to know that Wine (the non-gaming
> oriented one) runs latest winzip around 5% faster emulated than it
> runs natively under Windows...

Bah, nothing.

Why using my Amiga, I can run multiple virtual Macs using Amax, each
running multiple PeeCee emulator copies running Winzip under
Looooonghorn - and they're all 97% faster than Linux running WinZip
under emulation.

In fact, each emulated system, running within each emulated system
running within each emulated system, running.. you get the idea - is
faster than the parent. It's the ultimate emulation loop, and will knock
that pesky NEC earth thingy of the list after I add a little more fast
ram. How? it's simply a stock Amiga, an Emplant board, and BLAZEMONGER.
ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE!!!

Linux doesn't stand a chance until it gets BLAZEMONGER - but we all know
that can't happen 'cos you don't have a Fat Angus. Nyah.

>> How many trolls does it take to upset nz.comp?

> We don't get upset anymore....this kind of troll needs to grow some
> 'smarts' if he is to upset us...

No chance, Trolls use crappy Atari STs.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

cobs wrote:
> Why using my Amiga, I can run multiple virtual Macs using Amax, each
> running multiple PeeCee emulator copies running Winzip under
> Looooonghorn - and they're all 97% faster than Linux running WinZip
> under emulation.
>
> In fact, each emulated system, running within each emulated system
> running within each emulated system, running.. you get the idea - is
> faster than the parent. It's the ultimate emulation loop, and will knock
> that pesky NEC earth thingy of the list after I add a little more fast
> ram. How? it's simply a stock Amiga, an Emplant board, and BLAZEMONGER.
> ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE!!!
>
> Linux doesn't stand a chance until it gets BLAZEMONGER - but we all know
> that can't happen 'cos you don't have a Fat Angus. Nyah.

Have I missed something, Am I in a time warp thats gone back ~12 years
to when amiga was supreme? or is Amiga back and no-one told me.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

AD.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:49:17 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Have I missed something, Am I in a time warp thats gone back ~12 years to
> when amiga was supreme? or is Amiga back and no-one told me.

It's just a satirical jab at the Linux and Windows trolls, comparing them
to the old Amiga vs Atari trolls.

It seems Divines counterproductive Linux efforts have bred a new batch of
idiotic pro Windows trolls.

BTW - the Amiga kicked the STs ass!!!

Cheers
Anton

theseus

"AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:49:17 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
> > Have I missed something, Am I in a time warp thats gone back ~12 years

> > when amiga was supreme? or is Amiga back and no-one told me.

> It's just a satirical jab at the Linux and Windows trolls, comparing them
> to the old Amiga vs Atari trolls.
>
> It seems Divines counterproductive Linux efforts have bred a new batch of
> idiotic pro Windows trolls.
>
> BTW - the Amiga kicked the STs ass!!!
>
> Cheers
> Anton

Yeah but Atari STs with Steinberg and C-Lab ruled the music business.
OTOH Porn would not be the same without that Amiga genlock titling and
DIY music videos would not be the same without DPaint.
And EA would not be the monster game company it is today.

AD.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:38:55 +0100, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

>> BTW - the Amiga kicked the STs ass!!!

> Except if you were a muso like me....the ST kicked derriere in that field,
> but when I got my Falcon030 in 1994 it kicked the A1200 into total
> oblivion...

Granted.

The Amiga kicked the STs ass in everything except musician stuff!!!!

Cheers
Anton