Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: 20 lines of C code can crash Linux

Re: 20 lines of C code can crash Linux

James

Original quote
"Patrick Bold wrote:
I can write 1 line of C code that can crash Windows."

Ok, I'll bite, show us.....

Harry

James wrote:

> Original quote
> "Patrick Bold wrote:
> I can write 1 line of C code that can crash Windows."
>
> Ok, I'll bite, show us.....

main() { ExitWindows(0,0); }

paul

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jJeBc.1820$(E-Mail Removed)...
> James wrote:
>
> > Original quote
> > "Patrick Bold wrote:
> > I can write 1 line of C code that can crash Windows."
> >
> > Ok, I'll bite, show us.....

> main() { ExitWindows(0,0); }

not exactly a crash though, is it?

James

Exiting a C routine is not crashing windows...
newsthBc.17089$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...

James wrote:

> Exiting a C routine is not crashing windows...

ExitWindows() does not exit a C routine, it exits windows.
Think about it ... ExitWindows(), Exit .. Windows ... !!

So any malicious code can more-or-less do what it likes
with your Windows computer. ExitWindows() is only the tip of
the iceberg.

A malicious code writer can even replace system dlls with an
intercepting dll which can track every single thing your computer
does, and/or modify its behavior at the same time. It depends on
the slightly obscure "x=y.original" link time definition file aliasing.
Not to mention the myriad of hooks and subclassing techniques.

Anyhow Windows is full of such holes and is a lot of fun because
of it. Linux, on the other hand, is more reliable and bullet-proof but
a bit boring also.