Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Home - Format & Re-Install

XP Home - Format & Re-Install

BT

thanks for all the info.

blair

Brett Roberts wrote:
> "BT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:HytAc.784$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Currently running XP Home edition and have decided that its time to
>> do a major clean up through a Format & Re-Install of the O/S. I have
>> backed up any apps & updates etc that I think I need to be
>> re-intalled on the other side.
>>
>> Is it just a case of taking the WinXP Home Edition CD supplied with
>> PC, booting from it and selecting a Format & Install option ? or is
>> there more to it than that ?
>>
>> Are there any little quirks that I should be aware of before going
>> ahead with this ?
>>
>> And moving forward, other than keeping my family away from my pc &
>> stopping
>> them from install'n all sort rubbish, what apps would you recommend
>> in the fight for maintaining a clean healthy PC.
>>
>> Ta
>>

> From personal experience:
>
> - use the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard to back up the stuff you
> want to keep
> - disconnect off the net !!!
> - boot off the CD and select "Format and Install"
> - make coffee
> - apply patches (have you got the Windows Security Update CD ?)
> - once you have rebooted AND have a firewall on and enabled...
> - reconnect to the net and run Windows Update
> - enable automatic notification of updates
>
> I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my work and home PC's and
> have found it works fine but it's beta software so it's your call.
> SP2 is good for avoiding popups, autoinstallation of ActiveX controls
> and autodownloading of stuff. All of that helps in avoiding spyware
> etc.
>
> HTH
>
> Brett Roberts
> Microsoft NZ

Brett Cooper

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:44:09 +1200, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> The home edition takes a little more to get it going. MS have a series of
>> floppy disks that are used to boot the machine and install xp home. I
>> think it's 5 disks you need for the job.
>>
>> Here is a detailed howto http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/clean.htm
>>
>> This is howto 2 http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,105866,00.asp

>Disks are not needed if you can boot from the CDROM, as most people
>should be able to. Even if you can't boot, Bart's Boot Disk doesn't
>require 5 floppies.

Woops, I forgot that I was special and my scsi cd drive didn't do the boot
thing.

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:58:48 +1200, Brett Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:44:09 +1200, Patrick Dunford
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> The home edition takes a little more to get it going. MS have a series of
>>> floppy disks that are used to boot the machine and install xp home. I
>>> think it's 5 disks you need for the job.
>>>
>>> Here is a detailed howto http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/clean.htm
>>>
>>> This is howto 2 http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,105866,00.asp

>>Disks are not needed if you can boot from the CDROM, as most people
>>should be able to. Even if you can't boot, Bart's Boot Disk doesn't
>>require 5 floppies.

>Woops, I forgot that I was special and my scsi cd drive didn't do the boot
>thing.

Why not try a Repair first..

The Bios or SCSI card should provide the boot thing.

Ryan Jacobs

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brett Roberts wrote:
>
> > I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my work and home PC's and have
> > found it works fine but it's beta software so it's your call. SP2 is

good
> > for avoiding popups, autoinstallation of ActiveX controls and
> > autodownloading of stuff. All of that helps in avoiding spyware etc.

> Better late with these 'features" than never....

Typical. You're getting something for nothing (if you don't mind the
download bandwidth - or you could actually order the CD - assumes you've got
a legit licence of course), but you still gotta bitch!

> Still a shame you can't put a fresh XP install on the Internet without
> being infected in seconds.

Actually, anyone with half a brain can put a fresh install of XP on the
internet without being infected. You've just got to know how (or seek
advice). HINT: the advice was given in another thread just today.

> But I have an XP Home CD here I'm thinking of installing (again)....and
> your advice will come in handy.

Yeah, and when you get it wrong, you will blame the person giving the advice
because you elected to ignore the advice. But following advice is totally
irrelevant to you because, if you did follow the advice and it proved to be
right - you would have to find something else to bitch about.

Divine

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:18:22 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:

> I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my work and home PC's and have
> found it works fine but it's beta software so it's your call. SP2 is good
> for avoiding popups, autoinstallation of ActiveX controls and
> autodownloading of stuff. All of that helps in avoiding spyware etc.

This is just so microsoft!

Installing a service pak just so you can avoid popups and automatically
downloading and installing stuff/spyware???

The first thing I do on anything which suggests auto-anything is that I
disable those "automatic" features.

Divine

--
"A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

Divine

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:03:20 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

> Here are a few suggestions.
>
> ANTI-VIRUS TOOLS

<snip>
> SPYWARE TOOLS

<snip>
> REGISTRY SUPPORT TOOLS

<snip>
> DISK TOOLS

<snip>
> BACKUP/RECOVERY TOOLS

<snip>

Anyone might think that Windows as a system is awfully fragile - given
that you need so very many tools to keep it healthy and safe.

Divine

--
"Gay, lesbian and bisexual people are often portrayed as a threat to all
that is good and decent. When we seek the SAME rights as others, these

Patrick Bold

"Divine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.06.18.14.19.31.730781@TRACKER...

> This is just so microsoft!
>
> Installing a service pak just so you can avoid popups and

automatically
> downloading and installing stuff/spyware???
>
> The first thing I do on anything which suggests auto-anything is that

> disable those "automatic" features.

It's just a bunch of switches, 1's and 0's. They can be set on or they
can be set off -- but either way, you've automatically established a
certain set of conditions. If the new SP2 features were set off by
default, you'd be in here complaining that it's "so microsoft" to
priortize speed over security and stability. In fact, you've said
exactly that elsewhere.

One alternative, of course, would be to eliminate default options
altogether -- as you say, no "auto-anything" -- and require users to
customize their own installation by explicitly defining hundreds,
perhaps thousands, of command-line switches. Yeah, that'll really catch
on.

newsan.2004.06.18.14.34.10.445450@TRACKER...
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:03:20 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:
>
> > Here are a few suggestions.
> >
> > ANTI-VIRUS TOOLS

> <snip>
> > SPYWARE TOOLS

> <snip>
> > REGISTRY SUPPORT TOOLS

> <snip>
> > DISK TOOLS

> <snip>
> > BACKUP/RECOVERY TOOLS

> <snip>
>
> Anyone might think that Windows as a system is awfully fragile - given
> that you need so very many tools to keep it healthy and safe.

Fragile? No, I haven't had a Windows system crash on me since Win2k
first came out. Vulnerable to those who are either careless or
malicious? Absolutely.

Divine

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:47:59 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

> One alternative, of course, would be to eliminate default options
> altogether -- as you say, no "auto-anything" -- and require users to
> customize their own installation by explicitly defining hundreds,
> perhaps thousands, of command-line switches. Yeah, that'll really catch
> on.

Actually, that's not such a bad idea - Windows users will certainly learn
more about their computers than they would otherwise.

Divine

--

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:07:10 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

>> Anyone might think that Windows as a system is awfully fragile - given
>> that you need so very many tools to keep it healthy and safe.
>>

> Fragile? No, I haven't had a Windows system crash on me since Win2k
> first came out. Vulnerable to those who are either careless or
> malicious? Absolutely.

Interesting.

I have NEVER had an installation of either Unix or Linux crash on me for
any reason other than massive hardware failure - and 4/5ths of my network
is comprised of Unix and Linux installations.

Divine

--
Bruce Schneier: "Honestly, security experts don't pick on Microsoft because
we have some fundamental dislike for the company. Indeed, Microsoft's poor