Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: McAfee AV update kills McAfee AV tonight

Porkster

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:30:46 +1200, steve wrote:

> Today.....ran the online update for McAfee VirusScan on my wife's WinME
> system. I had last run it 2 days ago.
>
> Two updates were applied tonight.
>
> Re-booted.....and now the McAfee AV crashes on startup every time and
> also crashes when run manually.
>
> So it's killed itself.
>
> I think I've had enough of this. Tonight I'm building a Linux box for
> her and that's gonna be the end of that.
>
> Anyone else had this problem today?

I thought you had already done the I converted my family and neighbours
away from the horrors of Windows speech.
Another round is it ?

Paul

theseus

Porkster wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:30:46 +1200, steve wrote:
>
>> Today.....ran the online update for McAfee VirusScan on my wife's WinME
>> system. I had last run it 2 days ago.
>>
>> Two updates were applied tonight.
>>
>> Re-booted.....and now the McAfee AV crashes on startup every time and
>> also crashes when run manually.
>>
>> So it's killed itself.
>>
>> I think I've had enough of this. Tonight I'm building a Linux box for
>> her and that's gonna be the end of that.
>>
>> Anyone else had this problem today?

> I thought you had already done the I converted my family and neighbours
> away from the horrors of Windows speech.
> Another round is it ?
>

> Paul

Oooooer the one size fits all brigade spits the dummy again.

Apple Guy

Porkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:30:46 +1200, steve wrote:
>
> > Today.....ran the online update for McAfee VirusScan on my wife's WinME
> > system. I had last run it 2 days ago.
> >
> > Two updates were applied tonight.
> >
> > Re-booted.....and now the McAfee AV crashes on startup every time and
> > also crashes when run manually.
> >
> > So it's killed itself.
> >
> > I think I've had enough of this. Tonight I'm building a Linux box for
> > her and that's gonna be the end of that.
> >
> > Anyone else had this problem today?

> I thought you had already done the I converted my family and neighbours
> away from the horrors of Windows speech.

I give them all the time....and this was just one more reason why
Windows was a pain: the 3rd-party AV (essential) cabbaged the system.

> Another round is it ?

Not if I can help it.

My house had two Win9x PCs....one of them being because the user
preferred Eudora 6.2 for e-mail. Eudora works fine for e-mail on Linux
via WINE, but the Address Book crashes the WINE session every time -
and has done through several versions of Eudora - and WINE.

But the virus exposure yesterday finally shook Eudora loose....and
that user is now using KMail on Linux - which looks like
Eudora...something I hadn't noticed before.

Porkster

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:36:01 +1200, theseus wrote:

>>> I think I've had enough of this. Tonight I'm building a Linux box for
>>> her and that's gonna be the end of that.
>>>
>>> Anyone else had this problem today?

>> I thought you had already done the I converted my family and neighbours
>> away from the horrors of Windows speech.
>> Another round is it ?
>>

>> Paul

> Oooooer the one size fits all brigade spits the dummy again.

Damn am i the only who realizes how often steves family members and
neighbours get converted from the horrors of windows.

If you dont mind re-runs with the same endings, go watch Giligans
island.

Paul

steve

Porkster wrote:

>>> I thought you had already done the I converted my family and neighbours
>>> away from the horrors of Windows speech.
>>> Another round is it ?
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Oooooer the one size fits all brigade spits the dummy again.

> Damn am i the only who realizes how often steves family members and
> neighbours get converted from the horrors of windows.

I have 11 PCs. So there is a fair bit of scope for "converting".

I also have some uses for Win9x and - occassionally - Windows XP Home.
Mainly video-capture and VCD rendering. Each occasion has it's story - as
you have already commented.

> If you dont mind re-runs with the same endings, go watch Giligans
> island.

Yes. Windows failures do become somewhat monotonous when reported. The
steady move to other OS's could well make for repetitive reading, too.

Fortunately, I now have the number of Windows PCs here down to exactly two:
my youngest daughter (She likes "Croc") and my "sandbox" Windows system.

My wife is now on Linux at long last....and seems very happy so far. So with
any luck you won't hear of her moving to Linux again any time soon.

Fingers crossed.