Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: McAfee AV update kills McAfee AV tonight

Chris Mayhew

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Today.....ran the online update for McAfee VirusScan on my wife's WinME
> system. I had last run it 2 days ago.
>
> Two updates were applied tonight.
>
> Re-booted.....and now the McAfee AV crashes on startup every time and
> also crashes when run manually.
>
> So it's killed itself.
>
> I think I've had enough of this. Tonight I'm building a Linux box for
> her and that's gonna be the end of that.
>
> Anyone else had this problem today?

I haven't used McAfee for a long time, but I'm interested in knowing
how large the dat file updates are. CA have you downloading a MB a
time while Panda use to be only a few KB (unless it was a major
update)

Thanks
Chris

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Chris Mayhew wrote:
> I haven't used McAfee for a long time, but I'm interested in knowing
> how large the dat file updates are. CA have you downloading a MB a
> time while Panda use to be only a few KB (unless it was a major
> update)

CA is a PITA with it's full Dat downloads rather than an incremental.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz says...
> Chris Mayhew wrote:
> > I haven't used McAfee for a long time, but I'm interested in knowing
> > how large the dat file updates are. CA have you downloading a MB a
> > time while Panda use to be only a few KB (unless it was a major
> > update)

> CA is a PITA with it's full Dat downloads rather than an incremental.

Actually, eTrust has both full and incremental updates. See here for
example:

http://www3.ca.com/support/vicdownlo...aspx?CID=49737

Chris

Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz says...
>> Chris Mayhew wrote:
>> > I haven't used McAfee for a long time, but I'm interested in knowing
>> > how large the dat file updates are. CA have you downloading a MB a
>> > time while Panda use to be only a few KB (unless it was a major
>> > update)

>> CA is a PITA with it's full Dat downloads rather than an incremental.

> Actually, eTrust has both full and incremental updates. See here for
> example:
>
> http://www3.ca.com/support/vicdownlo...aspx?CID=49737

Still more than a few (2-3) KB. My updates are around 1 MB every couple of
days - which don't tie into the figures at that page.
--
Chris