Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 200GB Drive in older machine

200GB Drive in older machine

William Hamilton

Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
ANy recommendations for cards??

Mutlley

William Hamilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
>Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
> ANy recommendations for cards??

Have a look here. http://www.promise.com/smi01_eng.htm

Promise would me my best bet..

Patrick Dunford

In article <caqmbt$1b6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)KSnz says...
> Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
> Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
> ANy recommendations for cards??

A Bios and OS upgrade may also be necessary.

The maximum size of partition supported by Win9x is 127GB on FAT32.
Windows NT4.0 can in theory format a FAT32 volume to 256GB but it cannot
be read by Win9x. Anyway you'd have to be nuts to want to run FAT on a
disk this size.

Windows NT, 2000 and XP can format this volume in NTFS. As sizes greater
than 127GB have only become common recently, check whether the OS you're
using can support this size of disk.

MarkH

Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) z:

> In article <caqmbt$1b6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)KSnz says...
>> Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
>> Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
>> ANy recommendations for cards??

> A Bios and OS upgrade may also be necessary.
>
> The maximum size of partition supported by Win9x is 127GB on FAT32.
> Windows NT4.0 can in theory format a FAT32 volume to 256GB but it cannot
> be read by Win9x. Anyway you'd have to be nuts to want to run FAT on a
> disk this size.

WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

> Windows NT, 2000 and XP can format this volume in NTFS. As sizes greater
> than 127GB have only become common recently, check whether the OS you're
> using can support this size of disk.

Of course it is possible that the disk would be easier to manage in 2 or 3
partitions anyway. But both Win2K and WinXP should have no problem with a
200GB NTFS partition. A friend has formatted a 480GB NTFS partition with
WinXP Pro, no problems.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

William Hamilton

William Hamilton wrote:

> Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
> Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
> ANy recommendations for cards??

Thanks I will check out promise cards.

Patrick OS is Linux (Debian), 2.6 kernel, FS will be ReiserFS with LVM.

cowboyz

MarkH wrote:
> Of course it is possible that the disk would be easier to manage in 2
> or 3 partitions anyway. But both Win2K and WinXP should have no
> problem with a 200GB NTFS partition. A friend has formatted a 480GB
> NTFS partition with WinXP Pro, no problems.

480GB is insane... Of course I am going to eat that statement next year
when you can't buy less than a 500GB drive.......

Daver

Given the price of a decent ide card you may well be most of the way to a
new MB and CPU.

"William Hamilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:car8oj$cqj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> William Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
> > Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
> > ANy recommendations for cards??

> Thanks I will check out promise cards.
>
> Patrick OS is Linux (Debian), 2.6 kernel, FS will be ReiserFS with LVM.

GraB

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:08:41 +1200, "Daver" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Given the price of a decent ide card you may well be most of the way to a
>new MB and CPU.

Would need new RAM too.

GraB

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:50:18 +1200, William Hamilton
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
>Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
> ANy recommendations for cards??

I was running a Promise Ultra100 TX2 IDE card on a Socket 7 mobo.
Specs said it can handle hard drive over 137Gb. No problems, computer
ran better than when running drive on mobo's own contoller.

Patrick Dunford

In article <car754$bou$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) z:
>
> > In article <caqmbt$1b6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed)KSnz says...
> >> Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
> >> Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
> >> ANy recommendations for cards??

> > A Bios and OS upgrade may also be necessary.
> >
> > The maximum size of partition supported by Win9x is 127GB on FAT32.
> > Windows NT4.0 can in theory format a FAT32 volume to 256GB but it cannot
> > be read by Win9x. Anyway you'd have to be nuts to want to run FAT on a
> > disk this size.

> WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

NT4 can read a 256GB FAT32 volume, with 64K clusters. It must be able to
format it, because no other version of Windows can