Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer stuck in start screen

Computer stuck in start screen

Gurble

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:19:14 -0700, "Angela & Jim Ross"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me I had a friend ring me tonight as her computer is stuck
>in the windows 98 screen and it won't progress any further. I f she starts
>in safe mode it will get past this screen and to the desktop.
>Any idear as to what may be causing this.
>
>Angie

There are many possibilities.

Does it actually "lock up", or does the var thingee continue to move?

If you leave it for an hour or so, does it progress through?

E. Scrooge

"Angela & Jim Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40d01ebf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me I had a friend ring me tonight as her computer is stuck
> in the windows 98 screen and it won't progress any further. I f she

starts
> in safe mode it will get past this screen and to the desktop.
> Any idear as to what may be causing this.
>
> Angie

She may have installed something it doesn't like. You need to find out if
anything out of the normal was done on it before the problem. It might be
video card related, as a shot in the dark as one of the possibilities. She
might've added new hardware to it, a printer or scanner.

E. Scrooge

Justin C. Le Grice

Angela & Jim Ross wrote:
> Can anyone tell me I had a friend ring me tonight as her computer is stuck
> in the windows 98 screen and it won't progress any further. I f she starts
> in safe mode it will get past this screen and to the desktop.
> Any idear as to what may be causing this.
>
> Angie

Umm lets see.

Oh thats right Zafi got you.

See www.sarc.com and look up Zafi. It sounds like what I had to sort out
for a client yesterday,.

Rider

"Angela & Jim Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40d01ebf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me I had a friend ring me tonight as her computer is stuck
> in the windows 98 screen and it won't progress any further. I f she

starts
> in safe mode it will get past this screen and to the desktop.
> Any idear as to what may be causing this.
>
> Angie

Boot to safe mode then from the 'run' command type msconfig. On the genral
tab, click selective startup and untick Startup Group. Click apply and
restart computer. Hopefully whatever is stopping it from starting is in the
startup Group and you can trace it that way.

Angela & Jim Ross

Can anyone tell me I had a friend ring me tonight as her computer is stuck
in the windows 98 screen and it won't progress any further. I f she starts
in safe mode it will get past this screen and to the desktop.
Any idear as to what may be causing this.

Angie

Rider

"Angela & Jim Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Apparently she rung someone else as I had assignments to finish befroe 4

pm
> th next day and he took her through the safe mode step by step restart and
> after that she could start the computer normally. This lady has a habbit

of
> when she wants something fixed she wants it NOW! no matter what anyone

else
> is doing so she rings around to find who can give her what she wants.

Sounds like the average computer user who has stuffed their computer up.
LoL

Angela & Jim Ross

Apparently she rung someone else as I had assignments to finish befroe 4 pm
th next day and he took her through the safe mode step by step restart and
after that she could start the computer normally. This lady has a habbit of
when she wants something fixed she wants it NOW! no matter what anyone else
is doing so she rings around to find who can give her what she wants.

Ange