Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cable and DSL on same Linksys router

Cable and DSL on same Linksys router

Frank F

I have a client that wants to have both DSL and a cable modem connected to
his home Linksys router.
I have never seen this configuration before. He stated that he wants it for
redundancy sake. Any ideas?

Mungo Bulge

Only if his router supports redundancy as some did with cable/dial-up.
Enterprise class routers quite often support this feature, but as I am
not familiar with DSL, but some companies provide the modem and PC
interface all-in-one PCI card, which would be a problem.

Another problem may arise from the face that most ISP use the MAC of
the system connected to their modem as an authentication tool,
therefore the router may have to present two MAC's, no easy feat for a
consumer product.
Having said all that, two routers connected together could be
configured to solve this problem.

"Frank F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have a client that wants to have both DSL and a cable modem
connected to
| his home Linksys router.
| I have never seen this configuration before. He stated that he wants
it for
| redundancy sake. Any ideas?

Uncle John

I was about to post a similar question which partly answers the above.so I
will add it in here.

I have
1) a cable modem attached to my Netgear router which connects my PC and
others to a 4 Mb cable modem configured as a LAN linking me to my ISP.
2) a 500 Kb ADSL [RAS] broadband modem configured as dial-up linking me to
another ISP connected via USB 2 to my PC.

If I enable (2) it pre-empts the cable connection so I normally have it
switched off. I would like to have it on so that it picks up automatically
if the LAN drops which happens occasionally rather than having to enable it
manually.

So far I have not been able to do this.

--
Uncle John
"Frank F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a client that wants to have both DSL and a cable modem connected to
>his home Linksys router.
> I have never seen this configuration before. He stated that he wants it
> for redundancy sake. Any ideas?

Jack

Hi
May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/loadbalance.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Frank F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a client that wants to have both DSL and a cable modem connected to
> his home Linksys router.
> I have never seen this configuration before. He stated that he wants it

for
> redundancy sake. Any ideas?

Frank F

Thanks for the info. I looked at the Hawkins Router. Might just do the
trick.