Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > My computer was scanned

My computer was scanned

Nick

According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the number
reported. 210.212.102.33.

I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
university in Melbourne scanning me ?

Rider

"K T T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cam1om$du2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the

> number
> > reported. 210.212.102.33.
> >
> > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> > university in Melbourne scanning me ?
> >

> Who cares?

He does.

K T T

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the

number
> reported. 210.212.102.33.
>
> I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> university in Melbourne scanning me ?

Who cares?

EMB

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Nick <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
> number reported. 210.212.102.33.
>
> I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> university in Melbourne scanning me ?

They're not, that IP is allocated in India and has no reverse DNS available.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Nick

"K T T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cam1om$du2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the

> number
> > reported. 210.212.102.33.
> >
> > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> > university in Melbourne scanning me ?
> >

> Who cares?

I do. Else I wouldnt aput it in here. Woould I

Nick

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cam250$toi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Nick <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
> > number reported. 210.212.102.33.
> >
> > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> > university in Melbourne scanning me ?

> They're not, that IP is allocated in India and has no reverse DNS

available.

> --
> EMB
> change two to number to reply

Means sod all to me

AD.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:50:50 +1200, Nick wrote:

> I do. Else I wouldnt aput it in here. Woould I

My advice: Don't worry about it.

Whole blocks of IPs addresses are scanned continually - it's just the nets
background noise. It won't have any effect in itself, and if you are
properly patched and firewalled they can't hurt you.

Cheers
Anton

Enkidu

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:14:47 +1200, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the number
>reported. 210.212.102.33.
>
>I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
>university in Melbourne scanning me ?

No, *they* had 34 requests *from* that address.

Don't worry about it. It's just net noise.

Cheers,

Cliff

Dave Taylor

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
> number reported. 210.212.102.33.
>
> I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> university in Melbourne scanning me ?

Go here and do some reading, then come back with more questions.
http://www.grc.com
Click on the shields up link and scan your machine using the all services
probe.
Ciao, Dave

samg

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
> number reported. 210.212.102.33.
>
> I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
> university in Melbourne scanning me ?

its actually a cover for the feds investigating all your illegal P2P
activity