Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Looking for BIOS upgrade for PC Company PC

Reply
Thread Tools

Looking for BIOS upgrade for PC Company PC

 
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004
BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
"11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I think the chipset is
VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but, system too unstable
(resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may fix those
issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have tried sourcing BIOS
upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I fork out any $$
(what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).

TIA.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Patrick Dunford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004
In article <ofuzc.2496$(E-Mail Removed)>, atari400
@paradise.net.nz says...
> BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
> "11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
> Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I think the chipset is
> VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but, system too unstable
> (resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may fix those
> issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have tried sourcing BIOS
> upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I fork out any $$
> (what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).


See if there is an FCC code on the board, then you can run it through the
FCC website to ID the manufacturer. The KM133 is a fairly recent chipset
I think. I assume the system is not overclocked?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Athura
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsfuzc.2496$(E-Mail Removed)...
> BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
> "11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
> Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I

think the chipset is
> VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but,

system too unstable
> (resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant

version?) may fix those
> issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have

tried sourcing BIOS
> upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I

fork out any $$
> (what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).
>
> TIA.


Did you turn off the XP auto reboot on a fatal arror? (blue screen). Maybe
some driver, etc problem

right click my computer..properties...advanced...startup +
recovery..settings...untick 'automatically restart'


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nicholas Sherlock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004
Daniel wrote:
> BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
> "11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
> Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I
> think the chipset is VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried
> to install WinXP, but, system too unstable (resets arbitrarily) so
> I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may fix those
> issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well).
> Have tried sourcing BIOS upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it
> will fix the problem before I fork out any $$ (what's the deal with
> that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).


It's possible that you have faulty RAM that the larger XP is using for
something crucial. Run memtest86 on it for a few cycles:
http://www.memtest86.com

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock


 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004
In news:8Yvzc.2518$(E-Mail Removed),
Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> Unfortunately, it didn't have an FCC ID on it (just the "FCC"
> look-alike label). Also, no - it's never been overclocked.
>

AFAICT it'll be an "odd" PCChips board. try hunting around at
http://www.wimsbios.com for their PCChips pages. They have a fair bit of
info and photos to id the boards.

HTH


--
EMB
change two to number to reply


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Robertson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004

>VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but, system
> too unstable
>(resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may


Possible faulty caps (lots of later PC Co had this problem)
Is the motherboard red ish in color, then its prohably a ECS.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004
Unfortunately, it didn't have an FCC ID on it (just the "FCC" look-alike label).
Also, no - it's never been overclocked.

Patrick Dunford wrote:

> In article <ofuzc.2496$(E-Mail Removed)>, atari400
> @paradise.net.nz says...
>
>>BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
>>"11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
>>Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I think the chipset is
>>VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but, system too unstable
>>(resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant version?) may fix those
>>issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have tried sourcing BIOS
>>upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I fork out any $$
>>(what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).

>
>
> See if there is an FCC code on the board, then you can run it through the
> FCC website to ID the manufacturer. The KM133 is a fairly recent chipset
> I think. I assume the system is not overclocked?
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrick Dunford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004
In article <cam072$saj$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsfuzc.2496$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > BIOS ID (from POST screen) is:
> > "11/07/2000 - 8365-686B-IV6LNC0CC-00".
> > Motherboard manufacturer is unknown (PC Company "special" I guess). I

> think the chipset is
> > VIA VT8365 (KM-133) with Award BIOS v6.00. Tried to install WinXP, but,

> system too unstable
> > (resets arbitrarily) so I'm hoping updated BIOS (Win XP compliant

> version?) may fix those
> > issues. Currently runs fine with WinME (and Knoppix 3.2 as well). Have

> tried sourcing BIOS
> > upgrade from Unicore, but, I want to know it will fix the problem before I

> fork out any $$
> > (what's the deal with that anyhow, now I have to _buy_ BIOS upgrades...).
> >
> > TIA.

>
> Did you turn off the XP auto reboot on a fatal arror? (blue screen). Maybe
> some driver, etc problem
>
> right click my computer..properties...advanced...startup +
> recovery..settings...untick 'automatically restart'


If the motherboard is unstable it may be more viable to look for a good
2nd hand board that works with your CPU, memory and case.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrick Dunford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004
In article <8Yvzc.2518$(E-Mail Removed)>, atari400
@paradise.net.nz says...
> Unfortunately, it didn't have an FCC ID on it (just the "FCC" look-alike label).
> Also, no - it's never been overclocked.


You may be better off looking for a good 2nd hand board that fits your
case, CPU and memory.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2004
Patrick Dunford wrote:
>
> You may be better off looking for a good 2nd hand board that fits your
> case, CPU and memory.
>

Yes. My plan C

I was hoping to keep the "upgrade" costs down, but, if I can't source an upgraded BIOS
(assuming it would even fix the problem), then a new motherboard would be the other option.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIOS question - how to unlock a bios Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov Computer Support 1 01-11-2010 06:14 PM
Survey: Does your company use Python? Do you know a company thatuses Python? VanL Python 1 08-07-2009 08:22 PM
BIOS Flash upgrade for a 7200T Phil Computer Support 30 02-29-2004 05:41 AM
Help to upgrade a bios Bisbebal Computer Support 3 08-05-2003 08:56 AM
if i stuff my bios trying to flash it, is there anyone in pn, who can burn my bios again with a standalone hardware thingy? Daniel Farley NZ Computing 11 07-25-2003 01:43 PM



Advertisments