Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > jetstream ip addresses

jetstream ip addresses

Chris Hope

I've been trying to set up remote access to one of my parent's PCs over
Jetstream but the IP address keeps changing, sometimes several times per
minute.

I'm using dynamic dns to update a domain name (which has a short 30 seconds
TTL) and a script that runs on the PC once per minute to update the
address, but I'm still having problems accessing it because the IP address
changes so frequently. This morning between 7am and 8.15 it changed at
least once per minute.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
days at a time.

Craig Shore

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:15:28 +1200, Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've been trying to set up remote access to one of my parent's PCs over
>Jetstream but the IP address keeps changing, sometimes several times per
>minute.
>
>I'm using dynamic dns to update a domain name (which has a short 30 seconds
>TTL) and a script that runs on the PC once per minute to update the
>address, but I'm still having problems accessing it because the IP address
>changes so frequently. This morning between 7am and 8.15 it changed at
>least once per minute.
>
>Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
>like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
>days at a time.

If their IP is chaning that frequently, then i'm guessing they are getting
disconnected and reconnected that many times too. Is their connection actually
useable?
Perhaps look at their line, otherwise complain to Telecom and/or their ISP.

The disconnect and change IP thing is quite interesting actually, just over a
month ago I had a problem that mine wasn't logging any traffic at my ISP.
During this time I got no disconnects at all. In the end I lost this situaltion
as I needed to disconnect the power to my modem. Normally I was getting
disconnected every day or so, but when I first got Jetstart about 3 years ago it
used to stay connected for over a month at a time. At the moment it seems to be
about a week.

My feeling is that the ADSL disconnects are intentional, either by Telecom or my
ISP.

Mutlley

Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've been trying to set up remote access to one of my parent's PCs over
>Jetstream but the IP address keeps changing, sometimes several times per
>minute.
>
>I'm using dynamic dns to update a domain name (which has a short 30 seconds
>TTL) and a script that runs on the PC once per minute to update the
>address, but I'm still having problems accessing it because the IP address
>changes so frequently. This morning between 7am and 8.15 it changed at
>least once per minute.
>
>Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
>like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
>days at a time.

Are they on Jetstart?? Do they have a Dynalink RTA020 router?? How
far from the Telecom exchange are they??

I had this same problem when I was on Jetstart but it was every 30
minutes. When I changed my router to s DSE model the problem went
away..

Chris Hope

Craig Shore wrote:

> If their IP is chaning that frequently, then i'm guessing they are getting
> disconnected and reconnected that many times too.**Is*their*connection
> actually useable?
> Perhaps look at their line, otherwise complain to Telecom and/or their
> ISP.

As long as something is connected it maintains the IP address. Right now I'm
connected to the PC I've been trying to get to and the IP address isn't
changing. But no doubt as soon as I disconnect it will change again. I've
had no problems actually using the connection at their place. I was
planning on giving Telecom/Xtra a call but thought I'd see if anyone else
had experienced this problem first.

Chris Hope

Mutlley wrote:

> Are they on Jetstart??

Full speed Jetstream

> Do*they*have*a**Dynalink*RTA020*router??**

No, it's a Plexuscom

> How far from the Telecom exchange are they??

About 1/2 km from the maximum. There's no actual connectivity problems
though, just the damn IP address keeps changing.

Craig Shore

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:57:59 +1200, Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Craig Shore wrote:
>
>> If their IP is chaning that frequently, then i'm guessing they are getting
>> disconnected and reconnected that many times too.**Is*their*connection
>> actually useable?
>> Perhaps look at their line, otherwise complain to Telecom and/or their
>> ISP.

>As long as something is connected it maintains the IP address. Right now I'm
>connected to the PC I've been trying to get to and the IP address isn't
>changing. But no doubt as soon as I disconnect it will change again. I've
>had no problems actually using the connection at their place. I was
>planning on giving Telecom/Xtra a call but thought I'd see if anyone else
>had experienced this problem first.

You haven't got the modem set to auto-disconnect when not in use have you?

Mutlley

Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mutlley wrote:
>
>> Are they on Jetstart??

>Full speed Jetstream
>
>> Do*they*have*a**Dynalink*RTA020*router??**

>No, it's a Plexuscom
>
>> How far from the Telecom exchange are they??

>About 1/2 km from the maximum. There's no actual connectivity problems
>though, just the damn IP address keeps changing.

Hmm.. Just wondering if it's worth going to an ISP that may give you
a free fixed IP address. I know Orcon was doing that some months ago
for Jetsurf. Not sure if they do it for full Jetstream..

Chris Hope

Mutlley wrote:

> Hmm..**Just*wondering*if*it's*worth*going*to**an*ISP*that*may*give*you
> a free**fixed*IP*address.**I*know*Orcon*was*doing*that*some*months*ago
> for Jetsurf.**Not*sure*if*they*do*it*for*full*Jetstream..

I think Telecom do it for full speed for a price, and the others all do it
for free. And yeah, maybe an idea to change ISP. Since I managed to log in
this morning in the few seconds it was on the same address it's stayed
constant all morning. Crazy stuff!

steve

Chris Hope wrote:
> I've been trying to set up remote access to one of my parent's PCs over
> Jetstream but the IP address keeps changing, sometimes several times per
> minute.
>
> I'm using dynamic dns to update a domain name (which has a short 30 seconds
> TTL) and a script that runs on the PC once per minute to update the
> address, but I'm still having problems accessing it because the IP address
> changes so frequently. This morning between 7am and 8.15 it changed at
> least once per minute.
>
> Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
> like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
> days at a time.

Is the other end an Xtra customer? Or on the cheapest service?

I'm on Orcon and have a static IP 24/7 on ADSL - 256k Surf / 10GB

Denis de Castro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Hope
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been trying to set up remote access to one of my parent's PCs over
> Jetstream but the IP address keeps changing, sometimes several times per
> minute.
> I'm using dynamic dns to update a domain name (which has a short 30 seconds
> TTL) and a script that runs on the PC once per minute to update the
> address, but I'm still having problems accessing it because the IP address
> changes so frequently. This morning between 7am and 8.15 it changed at
> least once per minute.
> Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
> like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
> days at a time.

yeah... had this and puzzled for a long time.

Look up the thread on google groups "rapid IP rotation blues",
specially the last couple of posts where Craig Whitmore reveals the
answer...

Denis

--
97.5%