Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ram Types

Ram Types

cOKe

Hey I have a stick of 256 DDR 400 (A-data) Ram in my computer I'd like
to upgrade it and put in another 256mg DSE have some for $96.

My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
only or is the type (brand) unimportant?

Cheers,

cOKe

Divine

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe wrote:

> My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
> only or is the type (brand) unimportant?

Brand = unimportant, usually - unless it's a proprietary system with
customised RAM.

Speed and type ARE important.

Divine

--
"What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."

cOKe

Divine wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe wrote:
>

>>My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
>>only or is the type (brand) unimportant?

> Brand = unimportant, usually - unless it's a proprietary system with
> customised RAM.
>
> Speed and type ARE important.
>

> Divine

Cool, 256mg running WinXP and a 2400xp AMD chip.

I should see better peformance with double the RAM eh?

cOKe

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey I have a stick of 256 DDR 400 (A-data) Ram in my computer I'd like
>to upgrade it and put in another 256mg DSE have some for $96.
>
>My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
>only or is the type (brand) unimportant?
>
>Cheers,
>
>cOKe

As long as its gold plated it should not matter..-

Gordon

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:15:12 +1200, cOKe wrote:

> Cool, 256mg running WinXP and a 2400xp AMD chip.
>
> I should see better peformance with double the RAM eh?

Maybe. Enjoy nevertheless.

PseUDO

cOKe wrote:
> Divine wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe wrote:
>>

>>> My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
>>> only or is the type (brand) unimportant?

>> Brand = unimportant, usually - unless it's a proprietary system with
>> customised RAM.
>>
>> Speed and type ARE important.
>>

>> Divine
>>

> Cool, 256mg running WinXP and a 2400xp AMD chip.
>
> I should see better peformance with double the RAM eh?
>
> cOKe

Huge difference, although XP runs OK on 256MB's it runs like a mini
towing an elephant!!

512MB is just the right amount of ram to have it running smoothly,
noticeable improvement in load times and way less hard disk thrashing.

Also www.ascent.co.nz have A-data ram the same as your current 256MB for
$96 as well, if you wanted to stick with the same type as what you have now.

PseUDO

Divine

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:15:12 +1200, cOKe wrote:

>> Brand = unimportant, usually - unless it's a proprietary system with
>> customised RAM.
>>
>> Speed and type ARE important.
>>

>> Divine
>>

> Cool, 256mg running WinXP and a 2400xp AMD chip.
>
> I should see better peformance with double the RAM eh?

So long as the types of RAM are the same you will be fine.

DDR 400mhz is what you are looking for.

Is that what you are able to buy at DSE; and if that's what you have
installed, then adding more of the same RAM will most definitely improve
performance - depending on what Applications you choose to run.

Divine

--
"Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

cOKe

The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hey I have a stick of 256 DDR 400 (A-data) Ram in my computer I'd like
>>to upgrade it and put in another 256mg DSE have some for $96.
>>
>>My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
>>only or is the type (brand) unimportant?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>cOKe

> As long as its gold plated it should not matter..-

I'd love to go to Ascent.co.nz, but I had one really bad experience
(they didn't send a case for about a month) and don't want to go back to
them!

I've had some really bad online shopping experiences. Example
Dragonpc.co.nz! WTF is up with that operation??

I thought I'd try a "brick 'n' mortor" store.

Maybe I have "rip me off" written on my forehead? I think if I didn't
follow up some of these things I've bought online they just wouldn't
send the items ordered.

cOKe

PseUDO

cOKe wrote:

> The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> Hey I have a stick of 256 DDR 400 (A-data) Ram in my computer I'd
>>> like to upgrade it and put in another 256mg DSE have some for $96.
>>>
>>> My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
>>> only or is the type (brand) unimportant?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> cOKe

>> As long as its gold plated it should not matter..-
>>

> I'd love to go to Ascent.co.nz, but I had one really bad experience
> (they didn't send a case for about a month) and don't want to go back to
> them!
>
> I've had some really bad online shopping experiences. Example
> Dragonpc.co.nz! WTF is up with that operation??
>
> I thought I'd try a "brick 'n' mortor" store.
>
> Maybe I have "rip me off" written on my forehead? I think if I didn't
> follow up some of these things I've bought online they just wouldn't
> send the items ordered.
>
> cOKe

Iv'e dealt with about 30 online stores in NZ over the last 5-7 years,
and would rate ascent at number 1 by a long shot, also like you tried to
buy from dragonpc, and they wouldn't answer emails or telephones!!.

PseUDO

Patrick Dunford

In article <cagsce$f4i$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:15:53 +1200, cOKe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>Hey I have a stick of 256 DDR 400 (A-data) Ram in my computer I'd like
> >>to upgrade it and put in another 256mg DSE have some for $96.
> >>
> >>My question is, does the type matter? ie do I have to buy A-data Ram
> >>only or is the type (brand) unimportant?
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>
> >>cOKe

> > As long as its gold plated it should not matter..-
> >

> I'd love to go to Ascent.co.nz, but I had one really bad experience
> (they didn't send a case for about a month) and don't want to go back to
> them!
>
> I've had some really bad online shopping experiences. Example
> Dragonpc.co.nz! WTF is up with that operation??

Well obviously you picked it because it is cheap, now it is a guy out of
his garage