Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux printing

Reply
Thread Tools

Linux printing

 
 
PorkChop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004
steve wrote:

> PorkChop wrote:
>> interesting read ...
>>
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>>
>> Paul

>
> He must have been using the wrong distro.
>
> On Xandros, I just tell it what sort of printer it is and whether or not
> it's local or network....and away I go.


News flash windows2000 could do that task in 30 seconds.
>
> I've not had any trouble printing on Linux - even on a network - for
> several years.


Ive only been using redhat since version 6.1 **shrug ** but from reading the
newsgroups / irc help channels in that time, i can safely say your talking
*******s about well network printer sharing works / drama involved in
getting it working.



Did you even read the flippin article ? regarding the help documents the
guy waded thru , and how the issue of how the HELP files need to be written
for the non tech geeks if linux is ever going to become main stream.


Paul.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
brundlefly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004

"PorkChop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iJByc.1364$(E-Mail Removed)...
> a wrote:
>
> snip
> >
> > You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
> > what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
> > all - or restort to appletalk.

>
> What is Appletalk ?
>
>
> Paul


Look it up


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
brundlefly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004

"a" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <3Vxyc.1265$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > interesting read ...
> >
> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
> >
> >
> > Paul

>
> You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
> what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
> all - or restort to appletalk.
>


OS X uses CUPS


 
Reply With Quote
 
brundlefly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004

"PorkChop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:12Cyc.1378$(E-Mail Removed)...
> steve wrote:
>
> > PorkChop wrote:
> >> interesting read ...
> >>
> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
> >>
> >> Paul

> >
> > He must have been using the wrong distro.
> >
> > On Xandros, I just tell it what sort of printer it is and whether or not
> > it's local or network....and away I go.

>
> News flash windows2000 could do that task in 30 seconds.
> >
> > I've not had any trouble printing on Linux - even on a network - for
> > several years.

>
> Ive only been using redhat since version 6.1 **shrug ** but from reading

the
> newsgroups / irc help channels in that time, i can safely say your talking
> *******s about well network printer sharing works / drama involved in
> getting it working.
>
>
>
> Did you even read the flippin article ? regarding the help documents

the
> guy waded thru , and how the issue of how the HELP files need to be

written
> for the non tech geeks if linux is ever going to become main stream.
>
>
> Paul.
>


Hardly worth reading, you are just trolling.
I regularly set up CUPS with Debian, Mandrake and Mac OS X with no problems
at all
It seems to me that companies like Xandros are rapidly sorting out Linux for
consumers and companies like Suse are rapidly sorting out Linux for
enterprises and there is nothing for you trolls to worry your little plastic
dayglo fluff covered heads about but thanks for your concern. NOT !


 
Reply With Quote
 
a
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004
In article <p7Cyc.2071$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
>
> "a" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > In article <3Vxyc.1265$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...
> > > interesting read ...
> > >
> > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
> > >
> > >
> > > Paul

> >
> > You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
> > what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems at
> > all - or restort to appletalk.
> >

>
> OS X uses CUPS
>

<sarcasm>Oh really. I had no idea. </sarcasm>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrick Bold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yCAyc.2056$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
>
> > But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many

distros,
> > half of them produced by hackers!

>
> To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.
>


Ah, here we go -- bowing before the Great God of Choice again! So what
exactly is the appeal in having to make a "choice" between distros that
work and distros that don't work?


 
Reply With Quote
 
PorkChop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004

snip

>
> Hardly worth reading, you are just trolling.
> I regularly set up CUPS with Debian, Mandrake and Mac OS X with no
> problems at all


Arrr Im a troll .... and i live under a bridge ... and you have no
answer to the article.


> It seems to me that companies like Xandros are rapidly sorting out Linux
> for consumers and companies like Suse are rapidly sorting out Linux for
> enterprises and there is nothing for you trolls to worry your little
> plastic dayglo fluff covered heads about but thanks for your concern. NOT
> !


People will read your reply and ask them selves the big question, why didnt
the Linux community fix the printing problem years ago.

Its also not just the CUPS documentation approach mindset that needs to
change, the problem is across the board.


So stick that tin foil hat back on your head and go back to acting like a
duck ....

Paul

 
Reply With Quote
 
PorkChop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004
brundlefly wrote:


>> >
>> > You should have a look at how they do it on Mac OS X. People who know
>> > what an IP address vaguely is can setup printers without any problems
>> > at all - or restort to appletalk.

>>
>> What is Appletalk ?
>>
>>
>> Paul

>
> Look it up



Bite me ..
 
Reply With Quote
 
PorkChop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004
Patrick Bold wrote:

>
> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yCAyc.2056$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>
>> > But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many

> distros,
>> > half of them produced by hackers!

>>
>> To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.
>>

>
> Ah, here we go -- bowing before the Great God of Choice again! So what
> exactly is the appeal in having to make a "choice" between distros that
> work and distros that don't work?


More confusion ?


Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrick Dunford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2004
In article <pan.2004.06.12.10.43.30.59257@TRACKER>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:12:59 +1200, Allistar wrote:
>
> >> But that is part of the problem, isn't it. There are so many distros,
> >> half of them produced by hackers!

> >
> > To me that's one of the appeals of Linux - choice.

>
> Dunford doesn't understand that. To him there can only be One Way.


the problem, which you must admit David Murray, is that the market is
divided among itself. There are endless numbers of distros competing for
a very small market share.

If more energy was put into the issues raised in the OP's post and less
into creating yet another distro then linux would stand a much greater
chance.

As it is, the issues raised by having multiple different windows managers
are starting to be recognised at last by Linux developers.

The Mac OS.X is an excellent example of how an operating system can be
developed from opensource code with the strength of leadership that comes
from having only one goal - to produce one OS rather than to produce 10
slightly different ones.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 2 11-27-2010 12:12 PM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-21-2007 05:52 AM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-21-2007 05:50 AM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-21-2007 05:28 AM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-18-2007 10:11 AM



Advertisments