Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Network addon for Dos

Network addon for Dos

Patrick Dunford

Used to be you could get these add ons

I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a floppy and
access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].

This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

Zoro Aster

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:25:21 +1200, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Used to be you could get these add ons
>
>I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a floppy and
>access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
>doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
>
>This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

Go to google and search for "network boot disk".

--
Zoro Aster

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> Used to be you could get these add ons
>
> I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a floppy and
> access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
> doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
>
> This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

Heh I guess you could use Knoppix.

Why not throw a bunch of drivers on some master machine, sysprep it, and
then use ghost? You really don't want to install Windows XP all the
time from scratch ...

Ryan Jacobs

"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> Used to be you could get these add ons
>
> I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a floppy and
> access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
> doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
>
> This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

www.bootdisk.com

RJ out

Nathan Mercer

Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) .nz>...
> Used to be you could get these add ons
>
> I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a floppy and
> access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
> doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
>
> This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

See if you're licensed to use WinPE
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/p...ort/winpe.mspx

Its heaps better that DOS these days

If not, try out Bart's tool
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

frederick

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed) .nz>...
> > Used to be you could get these add ons
> >
> > I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a

floppy and
> > access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
> > doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
> >
> > This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

> See if you're licensed to use WinPE
> http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/p...ort/winpe.mspx
>
> Its heaps better that DOS these days
>
> If not, try out Bart's tool
> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I tried out Bart's tool - and it works very very well.
I expect that to use it as an item in your "toolkit" to fix anyone's
computer except your own one is contravening the terms of one's EULA,
unless you uninstall the OS from your own computer. Or am I being
harsh - maybe it is okay so long as you switch your computer off before
you use Bart's tool anywhere else?

Patrick Dunford

says...

> "Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed) .nz>...
> > > Used to be you could get these add ons
> > >
> > > I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a

> floppy and
> > > access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
> > > doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
> > >
> > > This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

> > See if you're licensed to use WinPE
> > http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/p...ort/winpe.mspx
> >
> > Its heaps better that DOS these days
> >
> > If not, try out Bart's tool
> > http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

> I tried out Bart's tool - and it works very very well.
> I expect that to use it as an item in your "toolkit" to fix anyone's
> computer except your own one is contravening the terms of one's EULA,
> unless you uninstall the OS from your own computer. Or am I being
> harsh - maybe it is okay so long as you switch your computer off before
> you use Bart's tool anywhere else?

You should only use it in conjunction with existing software licenses. I
had no issue with BFD because we have a sitewide license for 98 and XP.

frederick

"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> says...
> >
> > "Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:<(E-Mail Removed) .nz>...

> > floppy and

Ghost

image].

connection.

> > > See if you're licensed to use WinPE
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/p...ort/winpe.mspx
> > >
> > > Its heaps better that DOS these days
> > >
> > > If not, try out Bart's tool
> > > http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

> > I tried out Bart's tool - and it works very very well.
> > I expect that to use it as an item in your "toolkit" to fix anyone's
> > computer except your own one is contravening the terms of one's

EULA,
> > unless you uninstall the OS from your own computer. Or am I being
> > harsh - maybe it is okay so long as you switch your computer off

before
> > you use Bart's tool anywhere else?

> You should only use it in conjunction with existing software licenses.

> had no issue with BFD because we have a sitewide license for 98 and

XP.

And even that didn't allow you a license for WinPE?

To quote Bart:
"I feel that, considering the above, Microsoft cannot say that BartPE is
illegal."

I am guessing that he may be right, as it appears that he has been
"taken out" in the past, and is certainly popping his head out from the
bunker now.