Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What are the min specs (bitrate) for a DVD to be a DVD?

What are the min specs (bitrate) for a DVD to be a DVD?

cowboyz

Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD simply the
medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

Divine

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:14:54 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

> Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD simply the
> medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

A DVD is the medium - the physical disc. It may have any digital material
on it - video, audio, data - anything.

Divine

--
Benjamin Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

cowboyz

Divine wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:14:54 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
>
>> Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD
>> simply the medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

> A DVD is the medium - the physical disc. It may have any digital
> material on it - video, audio, data - anything.
>

> Divine

I make this a little more complicated. If I burn DIVX file onto a DVD it
will not be considered a DVD will it? The pedantic who want to argue can
follow their own side thread. I am interested at what standard, if any, a
video has to be encoded at to be a DVD quality video. Like a VCD *has* to
be 352x288 and a SVCD *has* to be 480x576 or it falls out of spec. Actually
now I think of it can't you enocde a VCD at 352x288 @ 800k/s or 352x288 @
2100k/s (or whatever bitrate you want?) I can't remember.. been a while
since I made one.

cowboyz

cowboyz wrote:
> Divine wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:14:54 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD
>>> simply the medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

>> A DVD is the medium - the physical disc. It may have any digital
>> material on it - video, audio, data - anything.
>>

>> Divine

> I make this a little more complicated. If I burn DIVX file onto a
> DVD it will not be considered a DVD will it? The pedantic who want
> to argue can follow their own side thread. I am interested at what
> standard, if any, a video has to be encoded at to be a DVD quality
> video. Like a VCD *has* to be 352x288 and a SVCD *has* to be 480x576
> or it falls out of spec. Actually now I think of it can't you enocde
> a VCD at 352x288 @ 800k/s or 352x288 @ 2100k/s (or whatever bitrate
> you want?) I can't remember.. been a while since I made one.

ok. I found this.

http://stream.uen.org/medsol/dvd/pag...4DVDvideo.html

it says the max data rate is 9.8Mbps but no minimum.

Divine

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:13:38 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

> If I burn DIVX file onto a DVD it
> will not be considered a DVD will it?

It would be a DVD with a DivX file burned onto it.

But I presume you're speaking of DVDs which are designed to be played in
consumer DVD players.

The resolution must be here in NZ a full PAL signal at full resolution for
it to be considered a "DVD". That's so many megabits/s.

Divine

--
The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
but this old Queen wants a drink."

Tim

ok so u did his google search for him...

man, some people...

Tim wrote:
> ok so u did his google search for him...
>
> man, some people...

<text moved to where it should have been typed in the first place>

What are you on about. I did the search for myself and posted what I found
which still doesn't answer my original question.

Tim

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca3stq$4q6$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ca3p7f$v6$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> ok. I found this.
>>>
>>> http://stream.uen.org/medsol/dvd/pag...4DVDvideo.html
>>>
>>> it says the max data rate is 9.8Mbps but no minimum.

> Tim wrote:
>> ok so u did his google search for him...
>>
>> man, some people...
>>

> <text moved to where it should have been typed in the first place>
>
> What are you on about. I did the search for myself and posted what I
> found
> which still doesn't answer my original question.

haha ok fair enuf. i'll try to keep both eyes open next time <wink> <wink>

Rupert

DVD merely stands for Digital Versitile Disk, which can be used for any
purpose. When a DVD disk is used for video it is labelled DVD Video.

This link may be of interest....

http://theboost.net/dvd/standart.htm

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca3lgt$tfa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a min spec for a DVD to be classed as a DVD or is a DVD simply
> the
> medium and any video file on it is classed as a DVD?

J.Random Luser

Divine <(E-Mail Removed)> claimed:

> The resolution must be here in NZ a full PAL signal at full resolution for
> it to be considered a "DVD". That's so many megabits/s.

That's where my money goes too.
720x576, 25fps, mp2, up to (~9mbps ave, ~13mbps max burst??)