Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open HTTP Proxy - How do I close it?

Open HTTP Proxy - How do I close it?

MandrakeUser

Hi everyone.

I'm running a mixed Windows desktop & Mandrake web/server network, and the
network settings have been stable for months.

One of my users just tried to post to Slashdot, but was refused with the
following message:

"Sorry, but according to our tests, you are trying to post from an open HTTP
proxy. Please close the proxy or ask your sysadmin or ISP to do so, because
open proxies are used to spam web boards like this one.

If you have questions, mention that your proxy is at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port
80."

The IP that I have xxx'ed out is the static IP of our ADSL router, which has
port 80 forwarded to the Mandrake box.

So now I'm worried.

We've been able to post to /. many times before today, so why the change
today?

Has a hacker infiltrated our network and setup this "open proxy"?

How do I test whether I really have such a thing?

I tried googling, and while more informed of what an open proxy is, I don't
really understand how to determine whether I really have one running.

I ran this test

http://ipid.shat.net/?ref=oprx , as recommended by
http://www.openproxies.com/

which says

Proxy Information
HTTP Forwarded For: [None]
Proxy Connection: [None]
Proxy Host/Type: [None]

which implies I don't have a proxy.

If I do have an open proxy, how do I close it?

Can anyone help me further?

Thanks for reading.

AD.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:47:08 +1200, MandrakeUser wrote:

> If you have questions, mention that your proxy is at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on
> port 80."
>
> The IP that I have xxx'ed out is the static IP of our ADSL router, which
> has port 80 forwarded to the Mandrake box.

IMO, either there is something open on the router itself, or Slashdot is
wrong. Maybe a transparent proxy at your ISP is confusing Slashdot?

Cheers
Anton

MandrakeUser

OK, a bit more googling has turned up this link:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=182762

which says that the default setup for Apache on Mandrake 9.2 is open, and
provides a method to close it.

I have followed those instructions to the letter, but /. still prevents
posts from our network. Any further ideas?

AD.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:55:11 +1200, MandrakeUser wrote:

> OK, a bit more googling has turned up this link:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=182762
>
> which says that the default setup for Apache on Mandrake 9.2 is open,
> and provides a method to close it.
>
> I have followed those instructions to the letter, but /. still prevents
> posts from our network. Any further ideas?

If you don't have any 'pinholes' open in your router, your Mandrake Apache
config shouldn't have any effect of what can be seen from outside.

If you don't need incoming connections from the net (assuming they are
actually open), close them in the router.

If you do need them open, and you have reconfigured Apache correctly it
might just take a while to get yourself off the list - either wait for the
next refresh or contact Slashdot to fix it (yeah right).

Cheers
Anton