Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Woosh - Wellington - looks OK !

Woosh - Wellington - looks OK !

manuka

Initial trials here in Wellington show "much better than expected"
2GHz Woosh coverage ! Extensive 2.4GHz WiFi experiences(& decades of
UHF ham radio) had implied a microwave wireless device with inbuilt
antenna would have just ~1/2km LOS range. However Woosh signals
detected well beyond their apparently "not meant to be published"
coverage map, as shown (it's said) in error "Dom.Post" Infotech on mid
May 2004 start day. We've found good MOBILE coverage around the
Wellington waterfront CBD to Mt.Vic, with all the usual WiFi
LOS/buildings/trees hassles often incidental. Trials along the Hutt
Motorway/Petone/Seaview/Eastbourne marine drive areas (all across the
harbour of course) still gave modem reception & several signal bars
even out to 10km LOS. HOWEVER - 2 way comms did not eventuate at 10km
even when signal bars indicated good reception. This implies Woosh
cell site transmitters are powerful & can be heard by the field modem,
but it's flea power transmitter can not be heard back by the cell
site. Naturally the UMTS-TDD nature of Woosh/IPWireless digital coding
could be significant, but phone calls/email to Woosh have not
clarified this yet...

Hey-we're Kiwis & take such problems as a #8 wire challenge. Following
in the style of the celebatred (~100,000 site hits) Chinese "Scoop"
WiFi antenna we'd rustled up recently(=> www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz
),several DIY parabolic designs for Woosh work have also been
trialled, with the Woosh modem positioned at the parabolic reflector's
focal point =>www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/woosh.jpg . These indeed also
GREATLY enhance (16dB ?)Woosh reception, but at 11km LOS across the
harbour no 2 way comms has yet developed.Grr ! Yet even in negligible
signal areas(such inside ferrocement buildings)near the inner
Wellington Basin Reserve we managed good 2 way comms. So how come
these stronger, but more distant signals are NOT being accepted? Does
Woosh have some deliberate distance cutoff ? This is W-CDMA,not the
celebrated GSM 35km limit of course !

More in depth searching on UMTS/IPWireless/TD-CDMA/W-CDMA etc has not
given insights either. See the likes of => www.umtstdd.com

Any comments/similar experiences ? Reply to this group.
PC Servicing - Massey Uni@Wellington ( via Stan)

manuka

Extra: => www.umtsworld.com/technology/linkbudget.htm <= hints at
uplink/downlink issues & Okamura-Hata signal coverage. Uplink power
issues they mention don't really convince in this case, since with
similar parabolic dishes we've managed p2p 2.4GHz WiFi links of
~5km,using weaker gear over a noisier band. Even cheap 470MHz voice
UHF CB sets will stretch to that distance LOS across water!

Roger Ramjet

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (manuka) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Extra: => www.umtsworld.com/technology/linkbudget.htm <= hints at
> uplink/downlink issues & Okamura-Hata signal coverage. Uplink power
> issues they mention don't really convince in this case, since with
> similar parabolic dishes we've managed p2p 2.4GHz WiFi links of
> ~5km,using weaker gear over a noisier band. Even cheap 470MHz voice
> UHF CB sets will stretch to that distance LOS across water!

I can't even see why they are taking Woosh to Wellington. Given the
choice between a high latency 'wireless' connection (with booster
aerial?) and a 2mb cable connection, you'd choose the cable connection
every time. If you wanted wireless you can chuck a 802.11g access
point in the mix. Bearing in mind of course that TelstraClear don't
offer service to all of Wellington.

I think what Woosh are doing in Auckland is great. They were a big
factor in Telescum increasing their 'low cost' ADSL service to
256/128. The point being, in Auckland Woosh are up against 256k
competition; the same cannot be said for Wellington.

It's potentially a good solution for those who need true mobile
connections. However, in Auckland it's not even a viable replacement
for the hugely expensive mobile jetstream service because the coverage
simply isn't there.

That said though, wireless technology is under constant development so
I am sure the Woosh service will get better. Telecom have proved time
and time again they only improve their service when under threat from
competition.

Disco Stu

manuka wrote:

> More in depth searching on UMTS/IPWireless/TD-CDMA/W-CDMA etc has not
> given insights either. See the likes of => www.umtstdd.com
>

> Any comments/similar experiences ? Reply to this group.
> PC Servicing - Massey Uni@Wellington ( via Stan)

That link is an absolute goldmine for anyone who might be interested in
hearing a bit more on the topic. Lots of information contained in a
relatively small space.

Gordon

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 18:32:16 -0700, Roger Ramjet wrote:

> can't even see why they are taking Woosh to Wellington. Given the
> choice between a high latency 'wireless' connection (with booster
> aerial?) and a 2mb cable connection, you'd choose the cable connection
> every time. If you wanted wireless you can chuck a 802.11g access
> point in the mix. Bearing in mind of course that TelstraClear don't
> offer service to all of Wellington.

PSST!!! Heard of competition?

PSST!!!!!! It is good for the consumer.

FWA

manuka

Woops- that UMTS link should be an "org" not a "com". Try
=>http://www.umtstdd.org/

Found good Woosh signals on Mall rooftop carpark inner L.Hutt, but
setup refused (again) to connect. This is LOS ~13km from their inner
Wellington POP sites, so suspect they indeed have limited cell radius
to just a few km. Might do an acid test on harbour ferry ?!

manuka

Update - finally got out of Woosh that "their cell sites have coverage
restricted to a 6.5km radius ". Hence this means line of sight (LOS)
across 10km of Wellington Harbour will be impossible, even though
signal strength & quality(delta)still VERY high. Bugger! A trial from
Eastbourne (11km) had ~25% signal & a quality delta of ~ +4 as
well(both much better than some closer links !).

When in inner Wellington,close in speed tests (even with mediocre
signals) have been much as claimed & typically average 20kBytes per
sec even with only a few % signal & delta quality a poor -4 or so. As
a demo,~1.2MB NetStumbler 0.4 downloaded <1 minute, whereas dial up
would have typically taken 3-4 minutes for this.

Divine

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:01:12 -0700, manuka wrote:

> Update - finally got out of Woosh that "their cell sites have coverage
> restricted to a 6.5km radius ". Hence this means line of sight (LOS)
> across 10km of Wellington Harbour will be impossible, even though
> signal strength & quality(delta)still VERY high. Bugger! A trial from
> Eastbourne (11km) had ~25% signal & a quality delta of ~ +4 as
> well(both much better than some closer links !).
>
> When in inner Wellington,close in speed tests (even with mediocre
> signals) have been much as claimed & typically average 20kBytes per
> sec even with only a few % signal & delta quality a poor -4 or so. As
> a demo,~1.2MB NetStumbler 0.4 downloaded <1 minute, whereas dial up
> would have typically taken 3-4 minutes for this.

Good.

That means downloading the ISOs of a new release of Mandrake would only
take about a day instead of about a week. )

Divine

--
"Gay, lesbian and bisexual people are often portrayed as a threat to all
that is good and decent. When we seek the SAME rights as others, these

Torrent looks good. . . converted DVD files looks horrible. . . WHY!?! novak.arthur@gmail.com DVD Video 4 02-11-2007 06:57 PM
Woosh to Woosh Toxickiwi NZ Computing 7 11-01-2004 08:55 AM
The REAL question about 'woosh' Evil Bastard NZ Computing 21 09-17-2003 12:23 PM
Woosh pricing! Carl Elphick NZ Computing 29 09-17-2003 07:43 AM
No word about woosh yet? tony11 NZ Computing 6 09-15-2003 07:22 AM

Advertisments