Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sony PS2 Outsells MS Xbox 5 to 1

Sony PS2 Outsells MS Xbox 5 to 1

steve

This story about about Microsoft cancelling a multiplayer online game
also includes a sales comparison I have never seen before:

http://enterprise-windows-it.newsfac...story_id=24423

Or http://tinyurl.com/3gq8m

"Microsoft's Xbox lags far behind it competitor Sony Playstation 2,
which outsells Xbox by a ration of five to one, according to published
reports."

The Flash

Don't put too much faith in either Sony or MS both are more than happy to
puff up and spout about how many units out their.

I have seen a figure of 40 million PS/2's and 14 million Xbox's some time
ago how accurate it is who know.

Not 5 times as many as Sony claimed. Both Xbox and PS/2 sales are down on
expectations, however a number of reports that I have see (last one on BBC)
is that Both sony and MS are in dreamland with their forecasts. Game
consoles sales are slowing. Its a market that has had its glory days (Sony
Playstations had months when they sold a Million units each month)

What Sony hates to admit is the buyer switchovers. People who have a PS and
then buy a XBOX.

New buyers who have never had a console tend to buy XBOX's,
People who have had a PS mostly buy PS2's.
Less than ~1% of XBOX owners change to a PS2
A significant number of PS2 owners have swiched to XBOX.

Sony has the most but they don't have the loyal owners that they hoped for.

Neither company is doing very well.

"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This story about about Microsoft cancelling a multiplayer online game also
> includes a sales comparison I have never seen before:
>
> http://enterprise-windows-it.newsfac...story_id=24423
>
> Or http://tinyurl.com/3gq8m
>
> ************************************************** **********************
>
> "Microsoft's Xbox lags far behind it competitor Sony Playstation 2, which
> outsells Xbox by a ration of five to one, according to published reports."

E. Scrooge

"The Flash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't put too much faith in either Sony or MS both are more than happy to
> puff up and spout about how many units out their.
>
> I have seen a figure of 40 million PS/2's and 14 million Xbox's some time
> ago how accurate it is who know.
>
> Not 5 times as many as Sony claimed. Both Xbox and PS/2 sales are down on
> expectations, however a number of reports that I have see (last one on

BBC)
> is that Both sony and MS are in dreamland with their forecasts. Game
> consoles sales are slowing. Its a market that has had its glory days (Sony
> Playstations had months when they sold a Million units each month)
>
> What Sony hates to admit is the buyer switchovers. People who have a PS

and
> then buy a XBOX.
>
> New buyers who have never had a console tend to buy XBOX's,
> People who have had a PS mostly buy PS2's.
> Less than ~1% of XBOX owners change to a PS2
> A significant number of PS2 owners have swiched to XBOX.
>
> Sony has the most but they don't have the loyal owners that they hoped

for.

> Neither company is doing very well.

SONY has done well with it's first PS, and supported it for many years now.
PS2 was out well before the XBox, yet it's hardly been much of a
disadvantage. The XBox will always be a better collectors item if it still
works in the years to come. MS has been worried about it's sales for quite
a while. No one can claim that SONY isn't doing well as a company. What's
the other long list of products that MS are involved in again?

E. Scrooge

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "The Flash" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Don't put too much faith in either Sony or MS both are more than happy to
>puff up and spout about how many units out [there].

Nevertheless, it's clear that the PlayStation is way ahead with an
unbeatable lead.

In past times it's been said that Microsoft can afford to keep throwing
money at a particular market segment until they come up with a product
that sells. That may work so long as they can actually get some income
back on each unit they sell. The trouble with the game console market is
that they're actually making a loss on each unit that sells. Thus, the
more units they ship, the more money they lose--they have to make it
back on the actual games, which is where the profit lies.

But the only way they can get developers to develop games for the
platform is to offer them an attractively large installed base into
which to sell those games. Thus, establishing that installed base to
start with is a very expensive proposition--quite possibly, more
expensive than Microsoft can afford.

steve

The Flash wrote:

> New buyers who have never had a console tend to buy XBOX's,
> People who have had a PS mostly buy PS2's.
> Less than ~1% of XBOX owners change to a PS2
> A significant number of PS2 owners have swiched to XBOX.
>
> Sony has the most but they don't have the loyal owners that they hoped for.
>
> Neither company is doing very well.

Any sources to back up anything you said? Not doubting you - but I am
curious.

Also...They are so cheap, many people must just own and use both of them.

Final Fantasy on PS2 and Halo on Xbox?

steve

E. Scrooge wrote:

> SONY has done well with it's first PS, and supported it for many years now.
> PS2 was out well before the XBox, yet it's hardly been much of a
> disadvantage. The XBox will always be a better collectors item if it still
> works in the years to come. MS has been worried about it's sales for quite
> a while. No one can claim that SONY isn't doing well as a company. What's
> the other long list of products that MS are involved in again?
>
> E. Scrooge

There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
software for the new one on the old Xbox.......

Much like PS2 to PS one....but it does beg the questions of "absolutes".

As in: Will the new Xbox be different enough from a PC gaming system to
justify buying both? Will it cost too much being at a higher spec?

Or will it bury PS2 because it will be dirt cheap and far more capable?

Time will tell, I guess.

steve

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

> But the only way they can get developers to develop games for the
> platform is to offer them an attractively large installed base into
> which to sell those games. Thus, establishing that installed base to
> start with is a very expensive proposition--quite possibly, more
> expensive than Microsoft can afford.

With US$60 billion cash in the bank.....what they can afford will be a
matter of choice....not lack of money.

Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 21:14:32 +1200, "The Flash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don't put too much faith in either Sony or MS both are more than happy to
>puff up and spout about how many units out their.
>
>I have seen a figure of 40 million PS/2's and 14 million Xbox's some time
>ago how accurate it is who know.
>
>Not 5 times as many as Sony claimed. Both Xbox and PS/2 sales are down on
>expectations, however a number of reports that I have see (last one on BBC)
>is that Both sony and MS are in dreamland with their forecasts. Game
>consoles sales are slowing. Its a market that has had its glory days (Sony
>Playstations had months when they sold a Million units each month)
>
>What Sony hates to admit is the buyer switchovers. People who have a PS and
>then buy a XBOX.
>
>New buyers who have never had a console tend to buy XBOX's,
>People who have had a PS mostly buy PS2's.
>Less than ~1% of XBOX owners change to a PS2
>A significant number of PS2 owners have swiched to XBOX.
>
>Sony has the most but they don't have the loyal owners that they hoped for.
>
>Neither company is doing very well.
>

>"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This story about about Microsoft cancelling a multiplayer online game also
>> includes a sales comparison I have never seen before:
>>
>> http://enterprise-windows-it.newsfac...story_id=24423
>>
>> Or http://tinyurl.com/3gq8m
>>
>> ************************************************** **********************
>>
>> "Microsoft's Xbox lags far behind it competitor Sony Playstation 2, which
>> outsells Xbox by a ration of five to one, according to published reports."

Probably still a year or more away for NZ, but Sony's PSP is reckoned
to be The Next Big Thing. Late this year in Japan.

E. Scrooge

"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
news:40c1a10b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>
> > SONY has done well with it's first PS, and supported it for many years

now.
> > PS2 was out well before the XBox, yet it's hardly been much of a
> > disadvantage. The XBox will always be a better collectors item if it

still
> > works in the years to come. MS has been worried about it's sales for

quite
> > a while. No one can claim that SONY isn't doing well as a company.

What's
> > the other long list of products that MS are involved in again?
> >
> > E. Scrooge

> There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
> software for the new one on the old Xbox.......
>
> Much like PS2 to PS one....but it does beg the questions of "absolutes".
>
> As in: Will the new Xbox be different enough from a PC gaming system to
> justify buying both? Will it cost too much being at a higher spec?
>
> Or will it bury PS2 because it will be dirt cheap and far more capable?
>
> Time will tell, I guess.

It hardly helps MS's image to have a completely new XBox already, it hasn't
even been out that long. Be great news for the first owners to see that MS
didn't think it had enough goods to last longer than that. Meanwhile the
PS3 is reported to be a lot different from the PS2. It's release will
probably depend on when the PS2 sales start to slow down quite a bit. The
Karaoke setup for the PS2 will be proving to be popular. Be better for MS
to see what the PS3 is like and how well it does in the market for with what
it offers.
People will enjoy either one that they own, and that's all that really
matters.

E. Scrooge

David Preece

steve wrote:
> There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
> software for the new one on the old Xbox.......

Yes you will. The new XBox has (apparently) a 2GHz G5 which is easily
enough to run Virtual PC with the same performance as the 733MHz Celeron
in the existing XBox. All that remains is for Microsoft to buy
Connectix, which they have.

> As in: Will the new Xbox be different enough from a PC gaming system to
> justify buying both? Will it cost too much being at a higher spec?

Depends what you want, but probably not. PC gaming is dead.

> Or will it bury PS2 because it will be dirt cheap and far more capable?

It will compete against PS3, not PS2. It may bury it because Microsoft
are willing and able to lose billions of dollars just to knock Sony out
of the market.

> Time will tell, I guess.

If you'd asked me three months ago I would have said that XBox2 would
win the next round. Since then I've seen some more stuff on how the cell
processor works, the news that you'll be able to buy a cell based
workstation from IBM and apparently they've even produced a few. So, now
I'm not so sure....

Dave