Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slingshot an OK ISP?

Slingshot an OK ISP?

steve

We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.

Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.

Are they OK?

Dave Taylor

steve <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in news:40bf03b3$1
@news.orcon.net.nz:

> We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
> would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
>
> Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
>
> Are they OK?

They are fine if you know what you are doing. I was really happy with them
for dial up.
Ciao, Dave

E. Scrooge

"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
news:40bf03b3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
> would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
>
> Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
>
> Are they OK?

Real good mostly - only just ok as far as Slingshot using ihug's news server
goes. Slingshot should be large enough to have a fully independent news
server of their own.
Quite a lot of busy signals for a month with Telecom putting the squeeze on
the small outfit, hasn't been any more for quite a while. The connection
speed is good as well.

E. Scrooge

TmcT

freeNet offer first 200mins free per month.
(have to pay the first month or something to pay first, can't remember...)

"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
news:40bf03b3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
> would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
>
> Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
>
> Are they OK?

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

>"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
>news:40bf03b3$(E-Mail Removed)...

*SNIP*
>Real good mostly - only just ok as far as Slingshot using ihug's news server
>goes. Slingshot should be large enough to have a fully independent news
>server of their own.

*SNIP*

Why am I not surprised to hear this?
Once upon a time, they did have their own news server. Obviously the
monkies they now have running the place don't have enough of a clue to
be able to keep it running.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Matthew Poole wrote:
>>Real good mostly - only just ok as far as Slingshot using ihug's news server
>>goes. Slingshot should be large enough to have a fully independent news
>>server of their own.

> Once upon a time, they did have their own news server. Obviously the
> monkies they now have running the place don't have enough of a clue to
> be able to keep it running.

or it is cheaper to use Ihugs one.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

E. Scrooge

"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9nvmo$1of$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "E. Scrooge"

<scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

> >"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
> >news:40bf03b3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> *SNIP*
> >Real good mostly - only just ok as far as Slingshot using ihug's news

server
> >goes. Slingshot should be large enough to have a fully independent news
> >server of their own.

> *SNIP*
>
> Why am I not surprised to hear this?
> Once upon a time, they did have their own news server. Obviously the
> monkies they now have running the place don't have enough of a clue to
> be able to keep it running.
>
> --
> Matthew Poole

There's often a couple minutes delay for any new posts when refreshing,
compared to when being directly logged onto ihug. Slingshot's news server
is connected to ihug's server. Not a great setup compared to being logged
directly onto ihug's server. You'll even see in my headers that any
complaints go to abuse at ihug, not Slingshot. Some other small ISPs might
be doing much the same. It's a dag to see Call Plus/Slingshot tugging away
on the Tail of Telecom. The accounts page on Slingshot is as basic as
possible, ihug's accounts pages would be about as informed as anyone would
want.
They try to keep the news service as quiet as possible with hardly any
mention of the service, other ISPs pretty much do the same though.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> freeNet offer first 200mins free per month.
> (have to pay the first month or something to pay first, can't remember...)

Your outfit is feeding off ihug's news server as well. And Simon Lyall
claimed there was no money in providing a news service - back during ihug's
black year of outages.
LOL

E. Scrooge

John

"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
news:40bf03b3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
> would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
>
> Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
>
> Are they OK?

They aren't terribly good in the evening for viewing international websites,
but it is reasonable for the money. I tried their Slipstream product, but it
produced very poor quality image downloads, and wasn't much faster.

John

"TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> freeNet offer first 200mins free per month.
> (have to pay the first month or something to pay first, can't remember...)
>

> "steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
> news:40bf03b3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
> > would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
> >
> > Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
> >
> > Are they OK?

Almost impossible to get a connection in the evening with Freenet I found.

Slingshot sucks Jamie Kahn Genet NZ Computing 29 01-23-2011 01:42 AM
Slingshot as ISP Markus Winter NZ Computing 3 10-08-2003 09:44 PM
Slingshot as ISP? Or another flat-rate one? Markus Winter NZ Computing 2 10-05-2003 09:40 AM
Slingshot Victor Tonkin NZ Computing 0 09-08-2003 07:34 AM
Slingshot international access down? art NZ Computing 1 08-30-2003 12:43 PM

Advertisments