Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 256k and timeouts

256k and timeouts

Starkey

anything lately been getting timed out webpages i know orcon are
having trouble with email atm but webpages too been very slow

steve

Starkey wrote:
> anything lately been getting timed out webpages i know orcon are
> having trouble with email atm but webpages too been very slow

Pages you usually go to?

Is your IP address 222.*

I can't get to several servers in Singapore (Straits Times and the
Real.com node)...at all.

Starkey

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:20:52 +1200, steve
<steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote:

>Starkey wrote:
>> anything lately been getting timed out webpages i know orcon are
>> having trouble with email atm but webpages too been very slow

>Pages you usually go to?
>
>Is your IP address 222.*
>
>I can't get to several servers in Singapore (Straits Times and the
>Real.com node)...at all.

ya the ip 222 but i have been to these webpages before and they
worked fine, just last few days net seems to be crawling
internatioanl and national

John B

Starkey wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:20:52 +1200, steve
> <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote:
>
>> Starkey wrote:
>>> anything lately been getting timed out webpages i know orcon are
>>> having trouble with email atm but webpages too been very slow

>> Pages you usually go to?
>>
>> Is your IP address 222.*
>>
>> I can't get to several servers in Singapore (Straits Times and the
>> Real.com node)...at all.

> ya the ip 222 but i have been to these webpages before and they
> worked fine, just last few days net seems to be crawling
> internatioanl and national

Same here on 256.
Have to keep resetting my modem too to get a connection - couple of times a day.
And if I leave computer on line and come back a couple of hours later and try to
access newsgroups or the net, it don't work. Have to disconnect, then disconnect
modem, (usb device) and start all over again. Pain in the butt.

--
John B

whoisthis

In article <tIgvc.462$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Starkey wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:20:52 +1200, steve
> > <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote:

> >> Pages you usually go to?
> >>
> >> Is your IP address 222.*
> >>
> >> I can't get to several servers in Singapore (Straits Times and the
> >> Real.com node)...at all.

> > ya the ip 222 but i have been to these webpages before and they
> > worked fine, just last few days net seems to be crawling
> > internatioanl and national

> Same here on 256.
> Have to keep resetting my modem too to get a connection - couple of times a
> day.
> And if I leave computer on line and come back a couple of hours later and try
> access newsgroups or the net, it don't work. Have to disconnect, then
> disconnect
> modem, (usb device) and start all over again. Pain in the butt.

I am with Xtra nd I am finding DNS requests are taking an age

Max Quordlepleen

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:02:03 GMT, "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)>
proffered, in : news:tIgvc.462$(E-Mail Removed):

> Same here on 256.
> Have to keep resetting my modem too to get a connection - couple
> of times a day. And if I leave computer on line and come back a
> couple of hours later and try to access newsgroups or the net, it
> don't work

No such problems for my 256, happily.

Starkey

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:41:07 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <tIgvc.462$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Starkey wrote:

>> > ya the ip 222 but i have been to these webpages before and they
>> > worked fine, just last few days net seems to be crawling
>> > internatioanl and national

>> Same here on 256.
>> Have to keep resetting my modem too to get a connection - couple of times a
>> day.
>> And if I leave computer on line and come back a couple of hours later and try
>> access newsgroups or the net, it don't work. Have to disconnect, then
>> disconnect
>> modem, (usb device) and start all over again. Pain in the butt.

>I am with Xtra nd I am finding DNS requests are taking an age

only started happening since monday for me, maybe telecom are testing
there speed limiting software maybe ?

Max Quordlepleen

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 10:24:56 GMT, Starkey <(E-Mail Removed)>
proffered, in : news:(E-Mail Removed):

> only started happening since monday for me, maybe telecom are testing
> there speed limiting software maybe ?

Iím with Maxnet, and I havenít had any of these issues. Curious.

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Starkey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >I am with Xtra nd I am finding DNS requests are taking an age

> only started happening since monday for me, maybe telecom are testing
> there speed limiting software maybe ?

Don't think so, the biggest pain is durign 4pm-9pm, ie when all the
little kiddies are on line. I suspect they do not have enough horsepower
to cope. I am now looking at setting up my own chaching DNS to see if
that helps any.

Anyone got a good "recipie" for BIND8 for a caching DNS ?

brundlefly

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Starkey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> I am with Xtra nd I am finding DNS requests are taking an age

>> only started happening since monday for me, maybe telecom are testing
>> there speed limiting software maybe ?

> Don't think so, the biggest pain is durign 4pm-9pm, ie when all the
> little kiddies are on line. I suspect they do not have enough
> horsepower to cope. I am now looking at setting up my own chaching
> DNS to see if that helps any.
>
> Anyone got a good "recipie" for BIND8 for a caching DNS ?

Here's one
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch6/index.html#caching

You could just add the paradise DNS servers
203.96.152.4
203.96.152.12
The Bering router distro has caching DNS
http://leaf.sourceforge.net
Use it or copy its named.conf etc

SUP-720-3B and 256k routes Petag Cisco 4 10-04-2007 12:28 AM
Teleocom chages thwe rulse again for 256K Jetstream and Orcon. Mutlley NZ Computing 14 08-13-2004 05:08 AM
forms authentication timeouts and session timeouts =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?= ASP .Net 0 06-22-2004 09:24 AM
Session-Timeouts and Idle-Timeouts on AS5300 and AS5800 Matt Cisco 1 02-17-2004 06:59 PM
256k and 320k MP3's sound distorted Computer Support 13 09-17-2003 12:26 PM

Advertisments