Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Palamino or Thorougbred??

Palamino or Thorougbred??

Steve Robertson

I have 2 AMD's, Palamino & Thorougbred
Both are the same (rated) speed
Which is better, or are they the same??
Just what is the diff between Tbred & Pal (cant remember which is newer)

cowboyz

Steve Robertson wrote:
> I have 2 AMD's, Palamino & Thorougbred
> Both are the same (rated) speed
> Which is better, or are they the same??
> Just what is the diff between Tbred & Pal (cant remember which is
> newer)

Tbred is newer and you'l;l find it will run cooler and overclock further. I
got the pal 2100+ and it is a pig of a thing really. I keep it cool with a
Volcano 9+ but it just doesn't overclock.

colinco

In article <40bc4a68$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Just what is the diff between Tbred & Pal (cant remember which is newer)

Tbred is later core, uses less volts, runs cooler

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Steve Robertson wrote:
> I have 2 AMD's, Palamino & Thorougbred
> Both are the same (rated) speed
> Which is better, or are they the same??

From memory the thoroughbred was the older one, the Palamino was the
newer one.
The Thor* I think is actually at that speed, whereas the Pal* is a
"rated" speed.

but hey, all this is from a few years back in the old brain, so it may
be entirely wrong.

tried amd.com?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> I have 2 AMD's, Palamino & Thorougbred
>> Both are the same (rated) speed
>> Which is better, or are they the same??

> From memory the thoroughbred was the older one, the Palamino was the
> newer one.
> The Thor* I think is actually at that speed, whereas the Pal* is a
> "rated" speed.
>
> but hey, all this is from a few years back in the old brain, so it may
> be entirely wrong.

ok then, read some other posts, appears Im way off... well, one
generation(Thunderbird) to late anyway

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.dunedinwireless.co.nz

~misfit~

Steve Robertson wrote:
> I have 2 AMD's, Palamino & Thorougbred
> Both are the same (rated) speed
> Which is better, or are they the same??
> Just what is the diff between Tbred & Pal (cant remember which is
> newer)

The Palomino is the older CPU and is based on 0.18 micron technology. The
Tbred is 0.13 micron. The Tbred is by far the superior CPU, I sold a Pally
1800+ to buy a Tbred (B) 1800+ a couple of years back. I still have the
Tbred CPU, only now it is running relaibly at 2.1Ghz (on a 200Mhz FSB
instead of the original 133) instead of the 1.53Ghz it was specc'ed for.

There were two versions of the Tbred made, the A and B. The B has an extra
layer of metal in it and is good for far higher speeds than the A. There is
a five letter code on the Tbred (ie. JUIHB), the last letter tells you if
it's an A or a B.

Palamino's run hot compared to Tbreds and don't overclock very far if at
all. However, I still have my old Socket A mobo that doesn't have any
overclocking features anyway and was considering throwing a $65 Duron 1.6Ghz
in it (Based on the Tbred B technology but with less L2 cache). They run
well but my budget is tight. If you'd like to sell your Pally I could be
interested. My email addy is valid, but 'mung'-ed if you'd like to sell let
me know what you want for it.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~