Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > holy huge hatsinks batman

holy huge hatsinks batman

Dave - Dave.net.nz

TEX

It is the typical "Mine is bigger than yours" senario. I hope they are
kidding about the size of them though. Cos that jet engine look alike
one is definatly not small.

TEX

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
> news from computex

Dave - Dave.net.nz

TEX wrote:
> It is the typical "Mine is bigger than yours" senario. I hope they are
> kidding about the size of them though. Cos that jet engine look alike
> one is definatly not small.

It would look good in a machine witha window, with a nice neon glowing
onto it though

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Adam Warner

Hi TEX,

> It is the typical "Mine is bigger than yours" scenario. I hope they are
> kidding about the size of them though. Cos that jet engine look alike
> one is definitely not small.

Intel has pushed a whole new motherboard and case design onto the industry
just to provide enough cooling for their new P4 CPUs. The Prescott P4s are
lemons and Intel is abandoning the architecture. They are trying to make
up for it by squeezing successors of the Pentium-M into dual- and
multi-core designs. The dual core CPUs will almost certainly use less
power than a single Prescott CPU.

There is now such a technology gap between Intel and AMD that Dell is
under some pressure to provide an AMD option, especially Opteron servers.

Regards,
Adam

Jackson

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> TEX wrote:
> > It is the typical "Mine is bigger than yours" senario. I hope they are
> > kidding about the size of them though. Cos that jet engine look alike
> > one is definatly not small.

> It would look good in a machine witha window, with a nice neon glowing
> onto it though

It looks like a cheap vacum cleaner. Not something i'd want to show off to
the world. More a source of embrassment than something to boast about and
its probably as loud as a jet engine anyway. I dont think that would ever be
sold to the public. Looks like some inhouse testing gadget.

Jackson.

Gordon

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:38:26 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
> news from computex

So ignoring the troll affect.

In this weeks New scients there is an article about a cahp who has stepped
right out side the square and applied anti noise technology to the noisy
fan.

20dB knocked off. $20 extra cost. Who's $ not menitioned.

Funny how the technology which caused the noise in the first place is now
able to be turned to fix the problem it caused.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Gordon wrote:
>>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
>>news from computex

> So ignoring the troll affect.
> In this weeks New scients there is an article about a cahp who has stepped
> right out side the square and applied anti noise technology to the noisy
> fan.
> 20dB knocked off. $20 extra cost. Who's $ not menitioned.
> Funny how the technology which caused the noise in the first place is now
> able to be turned to fix the problem it caused.

errr, got a link?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.dunedinwireless.co.nz

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:11:04 +1200, Gordon wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:38:26 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16247
>> news from computex

> So ignoring the troll affect.
>
> In this weeks New scients there is an article about a cahp who has stepped
> right out side the square and applied anti noise technology to the noisy
> fan.

Using bigger fans with slower blade tips is more effective than applying
noise cancellation after the fact...