Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cat 5 cable interference

Cat 5 cable interference

Edmond Lo

Hi there,

I have got 2 Dell machines (with Boardcom 4401 NIC) that I am having trouble
running 100M network. One machine will appear as running 100M but can't see
the network until I changed the speed to 10M Full/Half Duplex. The other
keeps connecting and droping out (cable unplugged). The wiring are Cat 5,
about 12 metre and 14 metre, but they are fed through the ceiling. I
wondering if some of the power cables in the ceiling causes interference.
Anyone have similar problems please?

Thanks,

Edmond.

Dave Taylor

"Edmond Lo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:40bba729$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi there,
>
> I have got 2 Dell machines (with Boardcom 4401 NIC) that I am having
> trouble running 100M network. One machine will appear as running 100M
> but can't see the network until I changed the speed to 10M Full/Half
> Duplex. The other keeps connecting and droping out (cable unplugged).
> The wiring are Cat 5, about 12 metre and 14 metre, but they are fed
> through the ceiling. I wondering if some of the power cables in the
> ceiling causes interference. Anyone have similar problems please?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Edmond.

Cables should cross power at right angles and be as far away as possible.
Maybe your hub/switch is only 10 meg half duplex? I have a really cheap
old hub at home that only does 10/HD by design.
Ciao, Dave

Collector

Edmond Lo wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have got 2 Dell machines (with Boardcom 4401 NIC) that I am having trouble
>running 100M network. One machine will appear as running 100M but can't see
>the network until I changed the speed to 10M Full/Half Duplex. The other
>keeps connecting and droping out (cable unplugged). The wiring are Cat 5,
>about 12 metre and 14 metre, but they are fed through the ceiling. I
>wondering if some of the power cables in the ceiling causes interference.
>Anyone have similar problems please?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Edmond.

Power or other emf due to the cable route is ulikely to be cause.
Check the state of your hub, is it 10/100 or just 10 and then look at
the cable ends they are more likely to be the problem.

brundlefly

Edmond Lo wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have got 2 Dell machines (with Boardcom 4401 NIC) that I am having
> trouble running 100M network. One machine will appear as running 100M
> but can't see the network until I changed the speed to 10M Full/Half
> Duplex. The other keeps connecting and droping out (cable unplugged).
> The wiring are Cat 5, about 12 metre and 14 metre, but they are fed
> through the ceiling. I wondering if some of the power cables in the
> ceiling causes interference. Anyone have similar problems please?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Edmond.

It is more likely to be bad termination of the cables than interference. Cat
5 is a balanced twisted pair transmission line so it has common mode
rejection of interference.

Patrick Dunford

In article <40bba729$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi there,
>
> I have got 2 Dell machines (with Boardcom 4401 NIC) that I am having trouble
> running 100M network. One machine will appear as running 100M but can't see
> the network until I changed the speed to 10M Full/Half Duplex. The other
> keeps connecting and droping out (cable unplugged). The wiring are Cat 5,
> about 12 metre and 14 metre, but they are fed through the ceiling. I
> wondering if some of the power cables in the ceiling causes interference.
> Anyone have similar problems please?

Make sure that the cables cross at right angles, if parallel they should
be at least 150 mm away from power cables.

If it shows unplugged even though plugged in you have probably got a
faulty plug connection or a faulty nic.