Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Motherboad dip-switch help?

Motherboad dip-switch help?

s1mple_M4N

Hi all - newbie group user.

I have an older-style Biostar motherboard I have inherited, with a Celeron
600 (fsb 66MHz).

The board has dip-switches with settings for P-III up to 933MHz or Celeron
up to 800MHz.

The Celeron 600 runs fine, but I picked up a P-III 866 the other day,
inserted it, set the correct switches, switched on and - nothing.

CPU is on a sloket (socket 1) - I am wondering if that is the cause of the
nothingness or is it something in the BIOS... I have checked, but nothing
that jumps out at me.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

RJ

Dave Taylor

"s1mple_M4N" <simple_man@clear(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote in news:40bafcd5$1
@clear.net.nz:

> The Celeron 600 runs fine, but I picked up a P-III 866 the other day,
> inserted it, set the correct switches, switched on and - nothing.

Just because you changed the switches does not mean that the memory can run
at the higher FSB speed. You probably have 66 Mhz Ram, and were trying to
run it at 133 FSB.
Sometimes the silkscreen is wrong and the motherboard web site will have a
pdf with the up-to-date info for you.
Ciao, Dave