Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Looking for a USB Plug and Play Hard Drive

Looking for a USB Plug and Play Hard Drive

peter

Hi
Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
drive....

Cheers Peter

Rockfield

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:_ywuc.12345$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi
> Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play.
> Sort of like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install
> drivers on my computer or any of the other computers that I use for
> the portable hard drive....
>

> Cheers Peter

Look on Slashdot today, there is a review of Transcends 1.8" 40GB USB
hard drive.

Cheers.

RH

Richard

peter wrote:

> Hi
> Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
> like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
> computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
> drive....

All that I have used have being the same, that includes ones in a 3.5" case, as
well as USB powered 2.5" drives

Collector

peter wrote:

>Hi
>Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
>like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
>computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
>drive....
>

>Cheers Peter

Plenty around but only for Win2K and above as Win98 and below require
drivers loaded.

Patrick Dunford

In article <_ywuc.12345$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi
> Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
> like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
> computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
> drive....

Well get Windows XP if you want to be driverless, you can NOT get around
the fact that driver installation requirements are a limitation of
Windows 98 or whatever you are using now.

peter

Found So Far

http://www.bluesmoke.net/viewArticle.cgi?id=r63&page=2

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_ywuc.12345$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
> like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
> computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
> drive....
>

> Cheers Peter

Daver

http://www.softwareshop.co.nz/Displa...blisher=MAXTOR

A few to choose from.

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsjzuc.12431$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Found So Far
>
> http://www.bluesmoke.net/viewArticle.cgi?id=r63&page=2
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121534
>

> "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_ywuc.12345$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort

of
> > like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
> > computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
> > drive....
> >

> > Cheers Peter

Palm

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_ywuc.12345$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
> like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
> computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
> drive....
>

> Cheers Peter

could always buy a separate harddrive and drive case ... might work out
cheaper then buying together ... will need to install drivers though.

Gurble

On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:05:58 +1200, "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi
>Are there any portable hard drives that are totally plug and play. Sort of
>like those USB pen drives. I dont want to have to install drivers on my
>computer or any of the other computers that I use for the portable hard
>drive....
>

>Cheers Peter

Most are driverless on Windows ME/2K/XP and MacOS X. Or, more
precisely, they use the Mass Storage Device drivers built into these
OSs.

Unfortunately nothing can be done about Win98se's need for drivers.

These ones definately use the MSD drivers (ie no additional drivers
required):
www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware?page=ehd