Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > new toner cartridge indicating low toner?

new toner cartridge indicating low toner?

allsorts

I bought a non-HP replacement toner cartridge for my HP laserjet III
printer, the old one was still going but felt it must be running out soon as
I have had to give it a shake once to get it going well again and remove low
toner message although this was a long time ago now, the thing just keeps
going and going. Anyhow the new cartridge hardly prints anything on the page
at all and the low toner message is back, so the old cartridge that I have
had for years is still going but the new one basically doesn't work at all,
what gives. I am going to ring the outfit I bought it from but would
appreciate any advise I can get here first in case they try to bullshit me
etc... There is no date on the cartridge I bought, I wonder if it is past
it's use by date. I also noticed it did not have a foam flap that covers any
view of the drum like the old one did although this is probably not
significant.
So what has been others experiences with these types of toner cartridges,
are the non-HP ones recycled and are they crap i.e high failure rate, this
was at least 1/2 the price of a new HP cartridge.

EMB

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
allsorts <kazuga@guitar> expelled:
> I bought a non-HP replacement toner cartridge for my HP laserjet III
> printer, the old one was still going but felt it must be running out
> soon as I have had to give it a shake once to get it going well again
> and remove low toner message although this was a long time ago now,
> the thing just keeps going and going. Anyhow the new cartridge hardly
> prints anything on the page at all and the low toner message is back,
> so the old cartridge that I have had for years is still going but the
> new one basically doesn't work at all, what gives. I am going to ring
> the outfit I bought it from but would appreciate any advise I can get
> here first in case they try to bullshit me etc... There is no date on
> the cartridge I bought, I wonder if it is past it's use by date. I
> also noticed it did not have a foam flap that covers any view of the
> drum like the old one did although this is probably not significant.
> So what has been others experiences with these types of toner
> cartridges, are the non-HP ones recycled and are they crap i.e high
> failure rate, this was at least 1/2 the price of a new HP cartridge.

I have a client using 1 remanufactured catridge per month on a Laserjet and
in the last 3 years they have had one faulty one that was replaced without
question. I'd go back looking for a refund if I were you.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

allsorts

"allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bought a non-HP replacement toner cartridge for my HP laserjet III
> printer, the old one was still going but felt it must be running out soon

as
> I have had to give it a shake once to get it going well again and remove

low
> toner message although this was a long time ago now, the thing just keeps
> going and going. Anyhow the new cartridge hardly prints anything on the

page
> at all and the low toner message is back, so the old cartridge that I have
> had for years is still going but the new one basically doesn't work at

all,
> what gives. I am going to ring the outfit I bought it from but would
> appreciate any advise I can get here first in case they try to bullshit me
> etc... There is no date on the cartridge I bought, I wonder if it is past
> it's use by date. I also noticed it did not have a foam flap that covers

any
> view of the drum like the old one did although this is probably not
> significant.
> So what has been others experiences with these types of toner cartridges,
> are the non-HP ones recycled and are they crap i.e high failure rate, this
> was at least 1/2 the price of a new HP cartridge.

My old recycled toner cartridge was Inca brand and this has given great
service so if anyone knows where you can buy this brand of recycled
cartridge from I would appreciate it if you let me know. The only possible
indication of brand on the new cartridge is a R symbol, the retailer will
probably wont to give me a replacement but I would rather use another brand.

allsorts

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c90lct$i39$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> allsorts <kazuga@guitar> expelled:
> > I bought a non-HP replacement toner cartridge for my HP laserjet III
> > printer, the old one was still going but felt it must be running out
> > soon as I have had to give it a shake once to get it going well again
> > and remove low toner message although this was a long time ago now,
> > the thing just keeps going and going. Anyhow the new cartridge hardly
> > prints anything on the page at all and the low toner message is back,
> > so the old cartridge that I have had for years is still going but the
> > new one basically doesn't work at all, what gives. I am going to ring
> > the outfit I bought it from but would appreciate any advise I can get
> > here first in case they try to bullshit me etc... There is no date on
> > the cartridge I bought, I wonder if it is past it's use by date. I
> > also noticed it did not have a foam flap that covers any view of the
> > drum like the old one did although this is probably not significant.
> > So what has been others experiences with these types of toner
> > cartridges, are the non-HP ones recycled and are they crap i.e high
> > failure rate, this was at least 1/2 the price of a new HP cartridge.

> I have a client using 1 remanufactured catridge per month on a Laserjet

and
> in the last 3 years they have had one faulty one that was replaced without
> question. I'd go back looking for a refund if I were you.
>
> --
> EMB
> change two to number to reply

Thanks, so what brand of cartridge are they using and where do you buy it
from?

allsorts

"allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c90lct$i39$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> > allsorts <kazuga@guitar> expelled:
> > > I bought a non-HP replacement toner cartridge for my HP laserjet III
> > > printer, the old one was still going but felt it must be running out
> > > soon as I have had to give it a shake once to get it going well again
> > > and remove low toner message although this was a long time ago now,
> > > the thing just keeps going and going. Anyhow the new cartridge hardly
> > > prints anything on the page at all and the low toner message is back,
> > > so the old cartridge that I have had for years is still going but the
> > > new one basically doesn't work at all, what gives. I am going to ring
> > > the outfit I bought it from but would appreciate any advise I can get
> > > here first in case they try to bullshit me etc... There is no date on
> > > the cartridge I bought, I wonder if it is past it's use by date. I
> > > also noticed it did not have a foam flap that covers any view of the
> > > drum like the old one did although this is probably not significant.
> > > So what has been others experiences with these types of toner
> > > cartridges, are the non-HP ones recycled and are they crap i.e high
> > > failure rate, this was at least 1/2 the price of a new HP cartridge.

> > I have a client using 1 remanufactured catridge per month on a Laserjet

> and
> > in the last 3 years they have had one faulty one that was replaced

without
> > question. I'd go back looking for a refund if I were you.
> >
> > --
> > EMB
> > change two to number to reply
> >

> Thanks, so what brand of cartridge are they using and where do you buy it
> from?

Before I go jumping the gun there is one thing I am not clear on, the only
instructions for installing a new cartridge are a picture diagram which
shows something happening with square tabs on the sides, I don't know what
this is referring to, I just slide the cartridge in which is no problem on
my old cartridge but was wondering if there is a seal or something that
needs to be broken on a new cartridge and if the last step in the diagram is
to do this?

Dogg

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:10:58 +1200, "allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> wrote:

<snip>
>> from?
>>

>Before I go jumping the gun there is one thing I am not clear on, the only
>instructions for installing a new cartridge are a picture diagram which
>shows something happening with square tabs on the sides, I don't know what
>this is referring to, I just slide the cartridge in which is no problem on
>my old cartridge but was wondering if there is a seal or something that
>needs to be broken on a new cartridge and if the last step in the diagram is
>to do this?

Most new toners have a foil strip that pulls out or tabs you break off
before you install. These are to prevent toner spillage in transit.

allsorts

"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:10:58 +1200, "allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> wrote:
>

> <snip>
> >> from?
> >>

> >Before I go jumping the gun there is one thing I am not clear on, the

only
> >instructions for installing a new cartridge are a picture diagram which
> >shows something happening with square tabs on the sides, I don't know

what
> >this is referring to, I just slide the cartridge in which is no problem

on
> >my old cartridge but was wondering if there is a seal or something that
> >needs to be broken on a new cartridge and if the last step in the diagram

is
> >to do this?
> >

> Most new toners have a foil strip that pulls out or tabs you break off
> before you install. These are to prevent toner spillage in transit.

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what the problem was, doh. Prints perfectly
now. Unusual that they did not have clear instructions for doing this,
normally things like this are described so someone with 1 braincell could do
it rather than requiring 2 like myself.

KiwiRider

You clown

"allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:10:58 +1200, "allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> wrote:
> >

> > <snip>
> > >>

> > >Before I go jumping the gun there is one thing I am not clear on, the

> only
> > >instructions for installing a new cartridge are a picture diagram which
> > >shows something happening with square tabs on the sides, I don't know

> what
> > >this is referring to, I just slide the cartridge in which is no problem

> on
> > >my old cartridge but was wondering if there is a seal or something that
> > >needs to be broken on a new cartridge and if the last step in the

diagram
> is
> > >to do this?
> > >

> > Most new toners have a foil strip that pulls out or tabs you break off
> > before you install. These are to prevent toner spillage in transit.

> Thanks a lot, that is exactly what the problem was, doh. Prints perfectly
> now. Unusual that they did not have clear instructions for doing this,
> normally things like this are described so someone with 1 braincell could

do
> it rather than requiring 2 like myself.

Mutlley

"allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> wrote:

>I bought a non-HP replacement toner cartridge for my HP laserjet III
>printer, the old one was still going but felt it must be running out soon as
>I have had to give it a shake once to get it going well again and remove low
>toner message although this was a long time ago now, the thing just keeps
>going and going. Anyhow the new cartridge hardly prints anything on the page
>at all and the low toner message is back, so the old cartridge that I have
>had for years is still going but the new one basically doesn't work at all,
>what gives. I am going to ring the outfit I bought it from but would
>appreciate any advise I can get here first in case they try to bullshit me
>etc... There is no date on the cartridge I bought, I wonder if it is past
>it's use by date. I also noticed it did not have a foam flap that covers any
>view of the drum like the old one did although this is probably not
>significant.
>So what has been others experiences with these types of toner cartridges,
>are the non-HP ones recycled and are they crap i.e high failure rate, this
>was at least 1/2 the price of a new HP cartridge.

You could always put the tone from the new cart into the old one..

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, kazuga@guitar says...
> I bought a non-HP replacement toner cartridge for my HP laserjet III
> printer, the old one was still going but felt it must be running out soon as
> I have had to give it a shake once to get it going well again and remove low
> toner message although this was a long time ago now, the thing just keeps
> going and going. Anyhow the new cartridge hardly prints anything on the page
> at all and the low toner message is back, so the old cartridge that I have
> had for years is still going but the new one basically doesn't work at all,
> what gives. I am going to ring the outfit I bought it from but would
> appreciate any advise I can get here first in case they try to bullshit me
> etc... There is no date on the cartridge I bought, I wonder if it is past
> it's use by date. I also noticed it did not have a foam flap that covers any
> view of the drum like the old one did although this is probably not
> significant.

It is because the drum is light sensitive, the cover is useful if you
have to remove it for some reason because if you leave it in the light
too long it will be ruined.

> So what has been others experiences with these types of toner cartridges,
> are the non-HP ones recycled and are they crap i.e high failure rate, this
> was at least 1/2 the price of a new HP cartridge.

Have had no problems with carts sold by the University Campus Computers
at Canterbury, they come with a warranty. I'm using a Laserjet 4L.