Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Jetstream question

Jetstream question

Rockfield

Hi All,

A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding getting a
JS connection.

All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the machine
he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook with an AeroPort
card. Said young lady said that this was a major as JS doesn't support
Apple hardware with wireless access.

Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.

TIA.

RH

Gurble

On 26 May 2004 11:03:36 +1200, Rockfield
<richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding getting a
>JS connection.
>
>All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the machine
>he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook with an AeroPort
>card. Said young lady said that this was a major as JS doesn't support
>Apple hardware with wireless access.
>
>Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.

It's a case of being misinformed.

As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
there's not going to be a problem.

Howard

Gurble wrote:
> On 26 May 2004 11:03:36 +1200, Rockfield
> <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding
>> getting a JS connection.
>>
>> All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the
>> machine he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook
>> with an AeroPort card. Said young lady said that this was a major
>> as JS doesn't support Apple hardware with wireless access.
>>
>> Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
>>

> It's a case of being misinformed.
>
> As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
> there's not going to be a problem.

Gurble is correct, as usual, except that if there is a problem and the
ISP/Telecom is called for support, they will likely say "sorry, only IE on
Windoze works" or something to that effect.

Rockfield

Gurble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 26 May 2004 11:03:36 +1200, Rockfield
> <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding
>>getting a JS connection.
>>
>>All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the
>>machine he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook
>>with an AeroPort card. Said young lady said that this was a major as
>>JS doesn't support Apple hardware with wireless access.
>>
>>Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
>>

> It's a case of being misinformed.
>
> As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
> there's not going to be a problem.

Thanks Gurble, as I suspected. Just had to check that Telecom weren't
pulling a swift one.

Cheers.

RH

whoisthis

In article <Xns94F570AE2B8F5richardhixnetnz@203.97.97.132>,
Rockfield <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding getting a
> JS connection.
>
> All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the machine
> he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook with an AeroPort
> card. Said young lady said that this was a major as JS doesn't support
> Apple hardware with wireless access.
>
> Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
>
> TIA.
>
> RH

grossly missinformed as that is exactly what I am doing right now

whoisthis

In article <ReTsc.10160$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > It's a case of being misinformed.
> >
> > As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
> > there's not going to be a problem.

> Gurble is correct, as usual, except that if there is a problem and the
> ISP/Telecom is called for support, they will likely say "sorry, only IE on
> Windoze works" or something to that effect.

yep, dont expect much help from telecom or any ISP, they are just a
myopic and as PC user.

Mike_P

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ReTsc.10160$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > It's a case of being misinformed.
> > >
> > > As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
> > > there's not going to be a problem.

> > Gurble is correct, as usual, except that if there is a problem and the
> > ISP/Telecom is called for support, they will likely say "sorry, only IE

on
> > Windoze works" or something to that effect.
> >

> yep, dont expect much help from telecom or any ISP, they are just a
> myopic and as PC user.

Gee, this might be helpful... if it made any sense.!

whoisthis

In article <40b44a42$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mike_P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > Gurble is correct, as usual, except that if there is a problem and the
> > > ISP/Telecom is called for support, they will likely say "sorry, only IE

> on
> > > Windoze works" or something to that effect.
> > >

> > yep, dont expect much help from telecom or any ISP, they are just a
> > myopic and as PC user.

> Gee, this might be helpful... if it made any sense.!

late night last night....
try "they are just as myopic as any PC user"

Collector

Rockfield wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding getting a
>JS connection.
>
>All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the machine
>he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook with an AeroPort
>card. Said young lady said that this was a major as JS doesn't support
>Apple hardware with wireless access.
>
>Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
>
>TIA.
>
>RH

Right and Wrong.

The telecom lady is correct the Aeroport card cannot connect an apple
system to the Telecom *Wireless* JS, but it can connect it to suitably
configured *Wired* JS

Rockfield

Collector <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Rockfield wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding
>>getting a JS connection.
>>
>>All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the
>>machine he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook
>>with an AeroPort card. Said young lady said that this was a major as
>>JS doesn't support Apple hardware with wireless access.
>>
>>Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
>>
>>TIA.
>>
>>RH
>>

> Right and Wrong.
>
> The telecom lady is correct the Aeroport card cannot connect an apple
> system to the Telecom *Wireless* JS, but it can connect it to suitably
> configured *Wired* JS

Got ya.

RH