Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > restricting access to a website

restricting access to a website

Michael Payne

I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

Allistar

Michael Payne wrote:

> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not
> allow browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so
> how?

It's impossible to do it in a foolproof way as people in NZ can always use
an overseas proxy to access your site. But ignoring that issue you'd need
to find which blocks of IP addresses are allocated to NZ and then restrict
access by, I would guess, the .htaccess file (depending on which web server
you are using).

Allistar.

frederick

"Michael Payne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N7Esc.9901$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
> browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

http://www.location.com.my/articles/article1.htm

(Note that the demo version has a 5 second delay)
Please make sure you post your URL here. I would like to see why anyone from NZ
would want to put up a website allowing everyone access to it - except anyone
from their own country. I sense skullduggery.

frederick

"Michael Payne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N7Esc.9901$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
> browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

This looks interesting too - free with a 1 in 50 popup ad.
http://www.geobytes.com/GeoDirection.htm
Subject of course to what Allistar points out in this thread.

Craig Shore

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:52:34 +1200, "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Michael Payne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:N7Esc.9901$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
>> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
>> browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?
>>
>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>http://www.location.com.my/articles/article1.htm
>
>(Note that the demo version has a 5 second delay)
>Please make sure you post your URL here. I would like to see why anyone from NZ
>would want to put up a website allowing everyone access to it - except anyone
>from their own country. I sense skullduggery.

Selling Tobacco comes to mind. There was a www site that hit the news
a few years back for that. They were blocking traffic to NZers
because they aren't allowed to advetise to them.

In article <N7Esc.9901$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
> browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

For strange people such as yourself, I use an open proxy

http://www.openproxies.com/

Enkidu

wrote:

>"Michael Payne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:N7Esc.9901$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
>> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
>> browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?
>>
>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>http://www.location.com.my/articles/article1.htm
>
>(Note that the demo version has a 5 second delay)
>Please make sure you post your URL here. I would like to see why anyone from NZ
>would want to put up a website allowing everyone access to it - except anyone
>from their own country. I sense skullduggery.

That script is easily circumvented. Suppose someone jumps in at a
lower level?

Cheers,

Cliff

frederick

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:52:34 +1200, "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Michael Payne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:N7Esc.9901$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
> >> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
> >> browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?
> >>
> >> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> >>

> >http://www.location.com.my/articles/article1.htm
> >
> >(Note that the demo version has a 5 second delay)
> >Please make sure you post your URL here. I would like to see why anyone from

NZ
> >would want to put up a website allowing everyone access to it - except anyone
> >from their own country. I sense skullduggery.
> >

> That script is easily circumvented. Suppose someone jumps in at a
> lower level?

Yes - I imagine most simply circumvented by disabling scripts in your browser's
settings.
No doubt they would see what Michael Payne didn't want them to - but I expect
that if he has secret agent stuff to do - then he wouldn't want to post his most
precious secrets on the www anyway