Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Backup and Tape Names?

XP Backup and Tape Names?

learner

I have given my nephew an old 4/8G IDE tape drive so he can back up his
files on his XP Pro PC.

We has some initial difficulties with a blank password but have got that
sorted. I am now unsure of the 'tape name' reasoning.

The first try at backup we used the only choice which was "free". Backup did
not run at the scheduled time and the log was blank. Is there a website out
there that will go into a few details of the tape name convention?

I would imagine that the backup should use whatever tape I care to put into
the drive regardless of name but this doesnt seem to be the case.

If I set it to use "free", what happens next time I put the same tape in the
drive. It will now not be "free".

Thanks

Dave Taylor

"learner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4busc.9602$(E-Mail Removed):

> I would imagine that the backup should use whatever tape I care to put
> into the drive regardless of name but this doesnt seem to be the case.
>
> If I set it to use "free", what happens next time I put the same tape
> in the drive. It will now not be "free".
>
> Thanks

I don't know about a good web site that covers this stuff but it is most
likely documented on Microsoft's site somewhere. XP's Backup makes a
catalog of the files. If you look in the search tool in XP under advanced
options is the "Search Tape Backup" option. Try googleing for "XP
unattended backup" It brings up a couple of good pages right at the top.
Looks like you need to use "Unmanaged Method"
Ciao, Dave

learner

Ahaa,,

Had a play last night with the /um and it looks promising.

Thanks Dave.

news:Xns94F4A49E49D9Adaveytaynospamplshot@202.20.9 3.13...