Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Maxnet

Maxnet

John Doe

Hi,

I am about to switch from a JetStream Starter (128kbps) plan to
JetStream Surf Flat Rate plan.

On this page :

http://www.maxnet.co.nz/content/2/94/0.htm

Maxnet states :

"This service is designed for light and occasional users and Maxnet
reserves the right to withdraw the service from heavy users and offer
alternative products".

I don't understand here. What do they mean ? That you abuse the
unlimited national allowance with JetStream Starter plan ? Or that you
abuse the "unlimited" flat-rate national+international allowance for
the JetStream Surf plans ?

Could somebody tell me if Xtra has got the same clause ? - I couldn't
see anything like that on the web.

The whole page lists the specifications for Starter _and_ Surf plans
really, not just JetStream Starter, doesn't it ?

Maxnet is pretty unclear !

Chris Hope

John Doe wrote:

> I am about to switch from a JetStream Starter (128kbps) plan to
> JetStream Surf Flat Rate plan.
>
> On this page :
>
> http://www.maxnet.co.nz/content/2/94/0.htm
>
> Maxnet states :
>
> "This service is designed for light and occasional users and Maxnet
> reserves the right to withdraw the service from heavy users and offer
> alternative products".
>
> I don't understand here. What do they mean ? That you abuse the
> unlimited national allowance with JetStream Starter plan ? Or that you
> abuse the "unlimited" flat-rate national+international allowance for
> the JetStream Surf plans ?
>
> Could somebody tell me if Xtra has got the same clause ? - I couldn't
> see anything like that on the web.
>
> The whole page lists the specifications for Starter _and_ Surf plans
> really, not just JetStream Starter, doesn't it ?
>
> Maxnet is pretty unclear !

The JetStream Surf conditions state that you have unlimited download
allowance but that they *may* drop your 256k to 64k if you go over 10GB in
the month. I don't recall seeing anything about Xtra withdrawing the
service other than this restriction. In my first month of flat rate (I was
previously on the 1GB full speed plan) I went over 10GB after about ten
days or so. I'm now on the last day of that month and my speed hasn't been
restricted. When I queried this group about the restriction before I
changed plans the high users said they hadn't seen a decrease in speed
after they'd gone over 10GB.

I would say Maxnet have this clause in their T&Cs because Telecom have the
above clause in theirs, and ISPs other than Xtra are more or less reselling
the Jetstream plans. But you are right, it's fairly ambiguous. You should
give them a call and ask for more details.

--
Chris Hope
The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

Enkidu

On 23 May 2004 16:43:01 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John Doe)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am about to switch from a JetStream Starter (128kbps) plan to
>JetStream Surf Flat Rate plan.
>
>On this page :
>
>http://www.maxnet.co.nz/content/2/94/0.htm
>
>Maxnet states :
>
>"This service is designed for light and occasional users and Maxnet
>reserves the right to withdraw the service from heavy users and offer
>alternative products".
>
>I don't understand here. What do they mean ? That you abuse the
>unlimited national allowance with JetStream Starter plan ? Or that you
>abuse the "unlimited" flat-rate national+international allowance for
>the JetStream Surf plans ?

It seems pretty clear. You do something that they consider "heavy
usage" you get offered a different plan or you can go elsewhere.

It doesn't mention abuse, you do. If you started dragging down a Gig a
day, they would probably offer you a business plan or something or
suggest you cut it out.

Cheers,

Cliff

'Maxnet' internet users Snoopy NZ Computing 23 02-10-2004 05:07 AM
Maxnet and DC/P2P XPD NZ Computing 7 09-26-2003 10:40 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Alastair Johnson NZ Computing 3 07-12-2003 07:26 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Nick NZ Computing 4 07-11-2003 10:09 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Peter NZ Computing 1 07-09-2003 07:55 AM

Advertisments